Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 1882: The Crypt officially closed
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby bert425 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:27 pm

I'm seeing reports (from KD Fan sites) that Kings Dominion is in process of removing "the Crypt" prior to the start of the 2020 season.

I'm kind of shocked that the removal wasn't pre-announced, or that anything wasn't announced for that space - as with Volcano closed, that's a nice corner of the park that now only have Avalanche there, right?

hmmm. . wonder if a new flat is going in there, or if they need the space for whatever is going in to replace Volcano?
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby JG-77 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:34 pm

I'd be really bummed to see the Crypt go, I really liked it during my visit this summer, and I had a much better ride on than on the one @SFGadv. Glad I rode it when I did.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby southpuddle » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:38 pm

Top spins are literal torture devices.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:53 am

bert425 wrote:I'm seeing reports (from KD Fan sites) that Kings Dominion is in process of removing "the Crypt" prior to the start of the 2020 season.

I'm kind of shocked that the removal wasn't pre-announced, or that anything wasn't announced for that space - as with Volcano closed, that's a nice corner of the park that now only have Avalanche there, right?

hmmm. . wonder if a new flat is going in there, or if they need the space for whatever is going in to replace Volcano?

When Valleyfair removed theirs a couple years ago, they didn't announce it. I don't think the last couple parks to remove theirs announced it either. And this was the last Huss one in the chain (good riddance); Canada's Wonderland has a Mondial version.

I doubt it was removed for whatever takes Volcano's place. Avalanche is still in the way. Although the entrance could be rerouted/Avalanche could be removed. Both options are doubtful. I think Crypt is leaving just because it's an old piece of sh!t.
Take a Journey Into The Unknown Latest Update: Branson Ft. Silver Dollar City

Parks: 23
Coasters: 130 (24 wood/106 steel)

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby CenturyFlyer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:40 am

Oh well, I'm glad that I got to try it a couple of years ago. It wasn't one of my favorite flats, but I didn't hate it either. The theming (fire, fountains) was honestly the best part of the ride.
There is only one true Blue Streak!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Taylor Finn » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:42 am

Thinking about visiting on Sunday April 26th. Park is open 10:30-8 PM. Anyone speak to the crowd level this time of year? Reckon it shouldn't be too bad, but can get two tickets, parking, and two meal deals for $90, which seems unbeatable. We won't be purchasing fast lane. Possible to hit the coasters up in one day? Ate at Country Kitchen last time, would like to try something different for our meals. Thanks!

Postby coasterbill » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:22 am

I wouldn't expect crazy crowds. Yes, it's possible to hit everything in one day without Fastlane.

Postby bert425 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:35 am

Taylor Finn wrote:Thinking about visiting on Sunday April 26th. Park is open 10:30-8 PM. Anyone speak to the crowd level this time of year? Reckon it shouldn't be too bad, but can get two tickets, parking, and two meal deals for $90, which seems unbeatable. We won't be purchasing fast lane. Possible to hit the coasters up in one day? Ate at Country Kitchen last time, would like to try something different for our meals. Thanks!

the mac & cheese place over near Bad Apple (in Candy Apple Grove) was really good last time I was there (in 2018).

but I'd trust any suggestion from Chuck
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:40 am

Taylor, any time we have visited on Sunday in the early season, we have had no trouble with multiple re-rides on all the coasters including, RIP :-( Volcano.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:43 pm

https://www.kingsdominion.com/blog/2020/our-crypts-are-sealed

Nope – no special Haunt announcements…yet.

Today we have some news to share regarding one of our thrill ride attractions, the Crypt, in Safari Village.

Originally donned Tomb Raider, the Crypt debuted in 2005 and has given nearly four million riders a wicked spin through the years. And now, it’s time to seal the crypt for good.

Why? Like many decisions, removing the Crypt is about improving guest experience and in this case, even future adventures for our guests. While we aren’t ready to say what that means…get ready.

Things are lurking in the jungle.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!