TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Does anyone know how crowds are going to be on Monday next week, January 6th? I know the holidays will be over but I don’t want to go in expecting it to be dead and be surprised.
Monday 1/6 is Three Kings Day... its the last day of BGT's Christmas Town and the last day of their three kings celebration... with the park staying open till 8' date=' I feel like they are expecting it to be busier than a usual Monday. Not sure if area schools are out or not.[/quote']

I can confirm that a good portion of FL schools are out that day for a teacher workday, including Hillsborough County (where Tampa is located). Most out of state tourists should have gone back home though.

Went today for the first time and had a blast! We got there at opening and went straight to Cheetah Hunt, which we walked on to. It was such a fun ride and definitely top 3 in the park for me. Wasn't expecting it to be as long as it was and the scenary around the track was awesome.

After that we went towards the back of the park and walked onto Tigris, ShieKra, Kumba, Falcon’s Fury, and Scorpion all before going to have lunch outside the park! ShieKra was incredible in the front row! I'd rank it second out of the dive machines I've been in (Griffon #1, Valravn #3). Falcon's Fury was also a terrifingly unique experience!

Once we got back around 1:30ish the crowds started to pick up a little bit, we took the Sky Ride to the back of the park. This had about a 20 minute wait. Thankfully we had done *almost* everything that the crowds had flocked to by this point. So we waited about 10 mins each for the rapids and the log ride before taking the train back to the front of the park to ride Montu, which had a station-length wait. Rode it twice, once in the very front and once in the very back, and LOVED IT! Easily my favorite invert now! I was surprised at how smooth it was while also being intense!

Unfortunately we decided to skip Cobra’s Curse because it was hovering around a 60-85 minute wait all afternoon and was periodically going down so we didn’t want to use up that much of the time we had left for it. Instead, we opted for rerides on Cheetah Hunt (25 min wait) and ShieKra (40 min wait) before catching the shuttle back to our hotel in Orlando.

Tomorrow we'll be hitting SeaWorld, which will also be a first for all of us! Thank you to everyone for the tips on this visit to Busch Gardens!

So stoked an RMC, a huge one, will be just a few hours from me!

Speaking of, is there any vague idea/guesses on an opening?

I will be in St Pete early March so it'd be pretty sweet to pop over to BGT. Though I will be going when it opens regardless

I foresee a couple midweek trips down there next winter to ride the crap out of IG. Flights down to Orlando and Tampa have been dirt cheap this year. Can't wait for it to open. This year will be my first trips down to that area.

This is a little over a week old but I'm surprised that I missed it considering it was reported by a Tampa Bay area news station and not some random enthusiast blog. There's not a ton of info here but given the way this company has been spending money lately this could really be anything from something extremely small and uninteresting to a multi-million dollar coaster and nobody would even be surprised.

Busch Gardens Files Permits for Possible New Attraction

By Ashley Carter Tampa

PUBLISHED 4:23 PM ET Jan. 07, 2020

TAMPA, Fla. – Busch Gardens could be working on another new attraction.

Busch Gardens files permits for "Project Jethro"

Plans call for demolition, grading work near the old Rhino Rally

Busch Gardens is getting ready to open Iron Gwazi coaster this spring

The theme park filed permits at the end of 2019 for a project called "BGT Project Jethro."

The plans involve demolition and grading work in a 1.83-acre area near the former site of Rhino Rally, a safari tour attraction. According to documents included in the filing, work would also include the "removal of 18,663 square feet of impervious area and construction of 6,944 feet of impervious attraction/walk area."

A closer look at the plans reveals that two new pathways will connect to an existing pathway in the area. An existing "story building" in the area as well as a wood deck and steps will be demolished.

0107_bn9_busch_gardens_project_jethro.jpg

Busch Gardens submitted plans in November for "Project Jethro." (Photo courtesy of SWFWMD)

The permits come as Busch Gardens prepares for the spring debut of Iron Gwazi, which will be the fastest and steepest hybrid coaster in the world. Busch Gardens' water park, Adventure Island, is also getting a new attraction called Solar Vortex, which will be a dual tailspin slide.

Busch Gardens hasn't said what "Project Jethro" will be.

Link

Seas:

giphy.gif

Edited by coasterbill

I think another site that shall not be named (because I forgot what it was haha) mentioned a rumor for an S&S Screamin Swing, which would make sense considering BGW just recently installed one. I've only been on a few of those rides but they're always fun and would be an awesome addition to BGT, and in that are over near the Savannah I'm sure could have some cool themeing and views.

While I hope it doesn't take up too much space in the Rhino Rally area (that corner of the park is primed for more expansion because the Edge of Africa does use as much of that edge land), I'm totally game for a Screamin Swing. I really forgot how much fun these rides are until my visit to Busch Gardens Williamsburg earlier this year. Finnegan's Flyer was so ridiculously enjoyable.

Man, I am SO excited for this coaster, and for one of my favorite parks! I was initially going to wait until my planned Florida trip in 2021 to ride this thing, but now I'll definitely be checking for cheap flights to Tampa for once IG opens! It looks spectacular, and I don't think my kids nor myself can wait until next year!

Man, I am SO excited for this coaster, and for one of my favorite parks! I was initially going to wait until my planned Florida trip in 2021 to ride this thing, but now I'll definitely be checking for cheap flights to Tampa for once IG opens! It looks spectacular, and I don't think my kids nor myself can wait until next year!

Frontier keeps adverting CLE - TPA for as low as $50 round trip (as part of their fare club). May be worth joining!