TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

I feel like if they did something Mary Poppins themed, it would be blending the two movies together, since they are an original and a sequel.

Well for myself, it would a great tribute to both eras of the films. Us and the kids, LOL!

P.S. And I wanted to add, exactly for that "blend"... having the runaway carousel horses (film 1),

riding through that lamp lighters' number (film 2)? That would be awesome!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^ There's so much happening in the next few years, I'm not surprised that they didn't mention a new country (i.e. Brazil, Rumor) for World Showcase, at this year's D23. There's always D23 in 2021 (and 2023) too.

IMG_4277.JPG.9bb8740469c0329f73d2a1035a4c5818.JPG

My two retro EPCOT books. The right one is 'slimmer' than the other. (o:

• 1 month later...

Robb and I will be at Epcot all day today as part of a big media event celebrating the new Star Wars ride and the transformation coming to Epcot over the next few years. Keep an eye on our socials and later here for all the details!

PS - Super excited for my first fondue in a bread bowl of the season!

Robb and I will be at Epcot all day today as part of a big media event celebrating the new Star Wars ride and the transformation coming to Epcot over the next few years. Keep an eye on our socials and later here for all the details!

PS - Super excited for my first fondue in a bread bowl of the season!

Can't wait to see what you experience over the next few days!

And now I'm craving fondue bread bowls!

Any word on the timeline for Ratatouille? I’m headed to Disney in early June and am hoping both that and Runaway Railway will be open.

Well, you'll definitely get on Runaway Railway as that announced at March 4. Ratatouille is still just 'summer'.

• 2 months later...

Spaceship Earth will be going down for its extended refurbishment as part of EPCOT's new transformation starting on May 26th.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2020/02/the-reimagining-of-spaceship-earth-at-epcot-begins-may-26/

Spaceship Earth is more than just the physical icon of EPCOT – it’s a symbol of how the park continues to evolve. The attraction is a crucial piece of the historic transformation already underway at EPCOT, and our team here at Walt Disney Imagineering is excited to start implementing our new vision for Spaceship Earth beginning May 26.

This means Spaceship Earth in its current form will close for a time starting that day, and the ideas we are working on inside that geosphere will be well worth the wait. As we shared at last year’s D23 Expo, the next iteration of Spaceship Earth will focus on the story of humanity, following our long journey from prehistoric humans to today brought to life with magic and depth that only Disney can deliver. Many of the moments you know and love will be updated in amazing ways, blended with brand-new scenes to tell a story about our human experience.

Today we’re excited to share a few additional details of what you can expect when this icon returns. You’ll visit Egypt, which is part of the current version of the attraction, but it will be an Egypt like you’ve never seen before, transformed through the power of light.

image1.thumb.jpg.fac1ce4f6ac839b2f3dfea72d0f210fe.jpg

I saw people saying this is gonna take 2-3 years, I'm really curious to see what they come up with since that's a lot of time and how much they change. Parts of it definitely feel dated, especially those on board video screens so I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Definitely think it's time for an extensive overhaul. From the look of the concept art, looks like they are going to really ramp up/plus the existing scenes (looks like some really nice projection mapping in play in Egypt). Then I've heard they are going to completely replace some of the later scenes. I like the focus on "storytelling" instead of communication. Will help keep it from getting dated too quickly.

I'd hope/think some new ride vehicles are in order. Plus be interested to see what they do with the back half (post planetarium scene), as that has always seemed like really wasted real estate to me.

I love SSE and glad to see it getting some well deserved attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this has been answered, but do we know if this version will be a copy of Paris or will it be a new (read: better) design? Among the trackless attractions Disney has done, Ratatoullie is easily the weakest and least inspired use of the tech. It's still fun, but I feel that after RotR and Runaway Railway opened across the street this will not be as well received.

^As far as everything I've read online, it will be a copy of the one in Paris. But - ya never know, right? At the end of the Paris ride, there's the Remy's Bistro to see (through a glass partition/wall) as you get off it. But they're not putting that in the EPCOT version (separate creperie instead), so the unloading area and exit may/will be different, visually.

Also, they may have a gift shop for you to walk through, when exiting the attraction.

P.S. It would be fun, if they started the exit way like you're still rat-size, then slowly bring it up to "human-size" by the time you exit the building. That would be cool!

Ratatouille20.jpg.4c757faf7e00af58da0e3f8aae57e044.jpg

And now, they're adding a banner announcing it's eventual opening! Photo from the net.

P.S. It would be fun, if they started the exit way like you're still rat-size, then slowly bring it up to "human-size" by the time you exit the building. That would be cool!

Oooo, I like that idea!

^ Sad thing is, I don't think they did it that way in Paris. I remember you disembark "the rat," you stroll by the floor~to~ceiling glass partition between you and Bistro Chez Remy diners. Plant vines and such are painted on the glass so it's not totally see-through either side.Then it's into a hallway, that's normal sized, out to the outside of the bldg. Pretty bland way to end it, although seeing all the wonderful theming in the restaurant is cool to see, too. (We did have a wonderful first meal there as well, on our Sept.2015 visit.)

• 1 month later...

So, Wonders of Life was my favorite pavilion in Epcot, and this is how Disney could revive it instead of turning it into the Play pavilion.

Attractions!

[*]Ant-Man and The Wasp: Body Wars - A motion simulator ride where Ant-Man and The Wasp shrink themselves and the riders to go inside The Falcon's body and witness how white blood cells react to an injury. Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lily, and Anthony Mackie would reprise their roles.

[*]Inside Out: Driven By Emotions - A show similar to Cranium Command, but featuring the characters from Inside Out. Join Joy, Anger, Fear, Sadness, and Disgust as they control Riley in a day of her life.

[*]Goofy About Health - A revival of the original show.

[*]The Story of You - A show about how you were born, but taught in a safe manner.

That's all I have right now. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like Trump just extended the ban on many visa's into the country including the two most commonly used ones for Epcot international Program. I assume that means unless Disney makes some sort of deal or gets a variance we won't see many international workers in World Showcase this year.