Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

A speed run through Parque de Atracciones Madrid
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:39 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:Echoing Adam this park has a really alluring line up and the Ghostbusters dark ride is icing the cake. The Colossus re-theme looks great! Glad to hear it's running so well after all the work they put into it. Wing coasters aren't my thing but damn, this one just looks badass. Really scrunched in there with some unique elements.

Plus Flug der Damonen is built on a hillside. I didn't realize it would use the terrain like that.

Sluggo77 wrote:Awesome report! I can’t agree with you enough on what the new trains and restraints have done to make SFNE’s SLC a fun ride.

Thanks! I went from not riding that coaster for 10 years to now trying to ride it each visit.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Efteling & Parque de Atracciones Madrid

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby julianus » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:09 am

bert425 wrote:I'm so envious of all your overseas park visits.. tho can't be too green with envy, as I DID just get back from Japan :P

the Heide Park update is fantastic - thanks so much for sharing.

of course what caught my eye was among your 1st pics:

it looks like the same model I got to ride at Yokohama CosmoWorld!
with the upper level being fairly small, and the options to ride including teacups, swings, and bouncing horses.

how funny that I just saw my 1st ever Carousel of this type, and then you put up a report with one too.

loved it.

I think it's the same model as Walibi Holland has, made by SBF Visa. Wiki

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:18 am

^ I didn't realize SBF Visa had been around since the 1950s!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:23 pm

Toverland

I have a guilty pleasure in life, playgrounds. That being said, I have a golden rule. A single adult shall not go to a playground without children unless there is no child present.

That was problematic at Toverland.

I had always heard this park was a wonderland of dangerous activities. I fully expected to leave with some battle scars. However, I left unscathed. It wasn’t by choice. It was due to crowds. I had never seen a trip report with this place busy, but basically every ride had a full queue. And it was a weekday.

Park Entrance.JPG

Entry Plaza.JPG
I felt like I was back at Islands of Adventure in terms of theming and crowds.

Playground.JPG
So many ways to get hurt. So little time.

Pyramid Slide.JPG
So many kids.

Flash forward to the beginning of the day. I had no knowledge of the crowds that were soon to follow. Thankfully I had the foresight to start with the super low capacity bobkart, Maximus’ Blitz Bahn, since the ride had a posted 70 minute wait within an hour of opening.

I had previously ridden one bobkart at Skyline Park and thought it was a slow, boring ride. It felt more like an antique car ride than a pseudo roller coaster. I’m happy to say Maximus’ Blitz Bahn felt like a roller coaster. This thing felt fast.

I don’t think it went faster than 30 mph, but the enclosed sections combined with some tight turns and quick dips (with small pops of air thanks to no restraints) made the ride feel decently wild. I also liked the random theming throughout. 7 out of 10

Maximus' Blitz Bahn Station.JPG
The correct riding position is shoving the levers all the way down.

Maximus' Blitz Bahn Wait Time.JPG
It was at this point I realized the park was going to be busy.

I considered hitting the Vekoma roller skater at this point, but I figured it wouldn’t have a line later in the day (spoiler alert, whoops). So instead I walked onto the funky looking flume, Expedition Zork.

The final drop was great; it was tall with a tiny pop of air. But it was the indoor part that made it stand out. There was some beautiful theming, a giant frog that spits on you, a backwards drop, and the world’s most screwed up turntable. Most turntables are located on flat ground. This one was on the lift itself. It felt so unnatural; I loved it. 9 out of 10

Expedition Zork Drop 2.JPG
At first it may look like a normal log flume.

Expedition Zork Drop 1.JPG
But then you see this theming.

Expedition Zork Turntable.JPG
This is such an odd place for a turnaround.

Now it was time to make a lap of the coasters. I’m thankful Booster Bike was nearby since I beat the masses there. I waited 20 minutes for the front. By the time I got off, the queue had tripled in length. The entire queue was filled and it was overflowing down the midway.

I thought the launch was decently forceful in the motorbike position (it was comparable to a Zamperla). While the rest of the ride was pretty forceless, the rush of wind and riding position made it enjoyable. 7 out of 10

Booster Bike Airtime.JPG
Booster Bike puts you in a true motorbike position unlike a certain roller coaster in Orlando themed to a giant.

Booster Bike Turn.JPG
I can't wait for Tron.

Booster Bike Queue.JPG
This is what Booster Bike's queue looked like by the time I got off.

Dwervelwind was still only a 20 minute wait, so I grabbed two laps. Mack spinners are a guilty pleasure of mine. While this one may be the least intense that I’ve ridden, it compensates with on-board audio.

This one did have a great start though. The drop is whippy, but my favorite part was the horseshoe turn. It feels like you’re going to stall out and then all of the sudden, you’re whipped to the ground. 7 out of 10

Dwervelwind Drop.JPG
Mack spinners are the best spinners.

Dwervelwind Gardens.JPG
The landscaping at this park is top notch.

I then entered into Avalon and found the crowds. Merlin’s Quest had a full queue, so I shuddered to think just how long Fenix’s queue was. It was ~40 minutes, but it was enclosed and themed so I didn’t mind.

Fenix kicked things off with a wingover drop. It just feels wrong to start a wing coaster without this great inversion. I love how you get hangtime one second and then are pulled to the ground the next. I do like the airtime on Wild Eagle’s drop, but Fenix had me covered.

After the drop, there’s this speed hill with some serious and sustained floater airtime. That’s followed by an ok Immelmann and the most surprising part of the ride, this high speed, low-to-the-ground turn. Whoever calls wing coasters forceless needs to ride Fenix. This turn had me seeing grey!

Fenix that soars through a great zero-G roll and this s-hill with a pinch of airtime. And that’s it. Fenix may be short, but it’s one of my favorite wing coasters. The interactions with the paths and pacing makes it stand out. 8 out of 10

Fenix Zero-G (Front 2).JPG
I'm sure no one has seen this shot before.

Fenix Turn (Front).JPG
The entire Avalon area looked incredible.

Fenix Immelmann (Far).JPG
If you think wing riders are forceless, ride Fenix.

Fenix Airtime (Close).JPG
This hill had better airtime than a lot of B&M hypers.

Fenix Choose Thy Position.jpg
I'll pick reverse cowgirl.

After two rides on Fenix, I made my way towards the imposing wooden structure of Troy. This is often considered one of GCI’s best coasters, so anticipation mounted during my hour wait. And to be honest, I was a bit disappointed.

It rode like your average GCI. In no way is that a bad thing. It just didn’t differentiate itself from the rest of the pack. I thought it was going to be different when it started with a floater hill, but it quickly became a fast-paced flurry of quick airtime pops.

Troy was basically Thunderhead to me. And in no way is that a bad thing. Troy is quite good, but it isn’t in the upper echelon of GCIs like Mystic Timbers, Gold Striker, and Renegade. 8 out of 10

Troy Horse 1.JPG
The last time I saw a Trojan Horse, I was at Mt. Olympus. I was happier to see this one at Toverland.

Troy Camelback (Side).JPG

Troy S-Hill.JPG
Troy is such a massive wooden structure.

Troy Turnaround (Far).JPG
I know a lot of people that call this one of the best GCIs.

Troy Camelback (Front).JPG
But I think it's more middle-of-the-pack.

I then had one coaster left, Toos-Express. By this point, Toverland was bursting at the seam. Trying to navigate through the indoor area gave me flashbacks to Disneyland. It was a challenge to find where ride lines began as they were spilling into the midway, which could only be described as a sea of people.

I think I waited almost a half hour for Toos-Express. It was definitely cool flying through the indoor section and it was more forceful than expected, but it was also jostled quite a bit. 4 out of 10

Crowds 1.jpg
Finding the start of this line was a bit challenging.

Toos-Express Turnaround 1.JPG
I'm a sucker for headchoppers with a ceiling.

Since I’m a sucker for European fun houses, Villa Fiasko was a must. And I encountered a first here- an actual line for a fun house. This is when you know a place is packed.

After 20 minutes I was admitted into Villa Fiasko and it took ~10 minutes to navigate. I wish it were due to it being a long and elaborate house, but it was more due to bottlenecks at the gags. The sliding staircase with strobes (which is as disorienting as it sounds) was the biggest culprit.

While I liked the obstacles, theme, and whimsical music of Villa Fiasko, it was hard to enjoy it fully with people nipping at my heels. 7 out of 10

Villa Fiasko.JPG
Ugh, now I have this ride's theme song stuck in my head again.

I’m happy for Toverland. To see a place that started as a small FEC evolve into a full-fledged theme park in less than two decades is incredible. And I’m glad the park is drawing crowds. It was just unfortunate they all decided to show up on the day I visited. :lol:

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:17 am

Toverland is really seeing the benefits of years of hard work and great investments pay off. Happy to see the park doing so well! That flume looks legendary.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:23 pm

Thanks! It's amazing to see how much this park has expanded from just an indoor FEC to a full fledged theme park.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:24 pm

Walibi Holland

Walibi Holland was one of my most anticipated parks in Europe. It was both due to the coaster lineup and the unhealthy amount of Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 I used to play. And the park didn’t disappoint.

But I have a question. Were the designers on acid when they came up with the themes at this park? :lol:

And I mean that as a compliment. The themes are so bizarre and eclectic, but Walibi Holland goes all-in so they end up working.

Park Entrance.JPG

Grande Roue.JPG
At first Walibi Holland may look like your standard pretty park.

Main Street.JPG
But then you see theming like this. WTF?

Since I only had a half day after work, I was absolutely getting a Fast Lane. It didn't matter that it was dark, dreary, and rainy, Europeans still come out in droves since they aren’t wimps like Americans.

It was the biggest help for Untamed. The new-for-2019 RMC was only running one train and the regular queue was almost 2 hours in length. I felt a little guilt riding Untamed as many times as I did, but I couldn’t help myself. It’s truly one of the world’s best coasters.

Untamed kicks things off with an amazing first drop and speed hill. And as you’d expect from RMC, both delivered fantastic airtime. That’s then followed by the double stall thing that is loaded with crazy hangtime. It may have been my favorite element on the ride.

You then rocket through this curved hill mixing ejector airtime and laterals. That’s then followed by this massive camelback. The sustained ejector on this hill rivals Storm Chaser’s second hill. You then have a wave turn/hill that feels exactly like the one on Twisted Cyclone.

After a wonderful zero-G roll, you go through another wave turn/hill. This one’s airtime was more of the floater variety, but any airtime is extreme when you’re perpendicular to the ground.

The return run is glorious. I can see it being too much for some. You have 8 straight bunny hills with powerful pops of ejector air. The only reprieve is this low-to-the-ground barrel roll, which is also wild. Would you expect anything else from RMC?

I love coasters that are perfectly paced and that is most definitely Untamed. There isn’t a single dead spot on this ride. Untamed feels like a wilder and faster paced version of Twisted Timbers. And now it’s my second favorite steel coaster, only behind Steel Vengeance. 10 out of 10

Untamed Sign.JPG
Does anyone know what this ride is called?

Untamed Lift (Day).JPG
It's impossible not to love Untamed. The lift hill commands you to love it.

Untamed Banked Hill.JPG
So much airtime and twisted track. It truly is untamed.

Untamed Station.jpg
I think Untamed is themed to a hippies in the wild. But your guess is as good as mine.

The easiest way to tell that Walibi Holland used to be a Six Flags park is the presence of a ride called Goliath. And I was definitely looking forward to this junior hyper. That’s why I was a bit nervous when I saw the back row blocked off and people wearing what appeared to be VR headsets.

I say appeared to be since Walibi Holland was doing this blindfold challenge. I didn’t partake, but it seemed to be a hit with teenagers. And because it was like a sleep mask, it didn’t slow loading one bit.

Goliath Blindfold Challenge.jpg
Because just closing your eyes is too much effort.

They were loading the back row with non-blindfold riders every other cycle and I’m very grateful since that’s the money seat on Goliath. The second hill is sustained ejector in every row, but the finale’s airtime is considerably stronger in the back. Plus you have the great air on the first drop.

I loved the beginning and end to Goliath, but the ride does hit a bit of a lull towards the middle. You can still appreciate the ride’s speed, but the S-hills had no airtime and the helices had no force. 8.5 out of 10

Goliath Plaza (Day).JPG
Unlike most Six Flags parks, this Goliath is actually the tallest coaster in the park.

Goliath Bunny Hill.JPG
If only Goliath had a middle. Then it would be the perfect coaster.

Goliath Overview (Day).JPG
Goliath was temperamental all day. Hence the lack of a train in this photo.

Lost Gravity was basically Mack taking a Gerstlauer Eurofighter and pumping it with steroids. This thing was nuts! And it all started with that violent first drop. It has some Expedition GeForce levels of ejector air and crazy laterals.

That’s followed by a powerful speed hill (similar to those on RMCs) and a funky top hat that offers another dose of airtime and laterals. Next is a camelback with some good ejector air. You then get a quick pop of air as you enter a turnaround and hit the MCBR.

The second half is noticeably slower, but that works to Lost Gravity’s advantage. The dive drop and zero-G roll have some fantastic hangtime. But if you prefer more traditional airtime, don’t worry. There are still 2-3 other tiny pops before you hit the brakes.

I really liked Lost Gravity, but I need to mention this ride had a serious rattle to it. It didn’t bother me after my first ride, but I definitely had a headache after 3-4 consecutive rides. Really that’s the ride’s only weakness. 9 out of 10

Lost Gravity Fast Lane Entrance.JPG
Yes, you really do enter through this school bus. WTF?!

Lost Gravity Drop (Far).JPG
This drop is wicked.

Lost Gravity Turnaround.JPG
Lost Gravity really is a bizarre ride. And that's what makes it so good.

Lost Gravity Camelback (Far).JPG

Lost Gravity Zero-G (Under).JPG
Can you find my gravity?

Drako was a respectable junior coaster, but there was nothing memorable about it. I actually like the whip on the first drop on the large Zierer tivolis, so it always bums me out to ride the castrated medium Tivoli model. 3 out of 10

Drako.JPG

Since Walibi Holland has arguably the world’s worst SLC, they are at least considerate enough to have arguably the world’s best boomerang. Speed of Sound has the Vekoma vests so I could appreciate the Gs without the pain.

But the real star is the dance club atmosphere. You have booming on-board audio and an enclosed lift that I’m going to call the party tube. 6 out of 10

Speed of Sound Overview.JPG
It may look like your ordinary boomerang.

Speed of Sound Station.jpg
But it's really a dance club.

If you ever wanted to know what it would be like to ride Rock “n” Roller Coaster with the lights on, go to Walibi Holland and ride Xpress. While the launch is good, particularly due to the lighting effects, the rest of the ride is sort of uneventful without the darkness. It is still smooth though.

My favorite part of Xpress was actually the queue. I had no clue it was essentially a haunt. The queue had several jump scares and the theme of a haunted subway station was downright eerie. 6.5 out of 10

Xpress Queue.jpg
I preferred this to Platform 9 3/4s.

Larry, shield your eyes. I too experienced NeuroGen, but I didn’t find it earth-shattering. Just good. :lol:

It’s definitely cool a VR attraction like this exists at such a big park. And the health clinic theme is well executed. I just wasn’t wowed as wowed by the quick-cutting, acid trip plot. I will admit the VR was as crisp as any I’ve ever seen though. 7 out of 10

NeuroGen.JPG
I'm currently in the outpatient clinic.

Crazy River was a much more elaborate flume than expected. I was already excited for the double down, which was quite good, but I had no idea this thing had a backwards portion. That seems to be a common theme with European flumes. 8 out of 10

Crazy River Drop.JPG
I never used to like double downs, but maybe that was because they were from KFC.

Crazy River Child Labor.jpg
Yes, the park even has a joke about child labor.

SLCs are arguably the most maligned coaster model out there. And it’s for good reason. They are multi-million dollar concussion machines. And it had to start somewhere. El Condor is the original.

As I approached El Condor, the heavens opened up. It was all too fitting. It was like the stereotypical movie scene when the villain’s lair is always accompanied by a torrential downpour.

But I have to be honest. El Condor wasn’t *that* bad. It was still wretched. But it didn’t reach the true turd levels of a Flight Deck, MP-Xpress, or Blue Tornado. 2 out of 10

El Condor Entrance.JPG
El Condor is Spanish for pain.

I then returned to Untamed and the rain only intensified. If they chose to shut the ride down, I would have totally understood. But since they didn’t, you can bet I was going to ride it.

I’m thankful my favorite seat on Untamed was the back row since I had 22 human shields in front of me. Riding a coaster as wild as Untamed in a rainstorm as ferocious as it was seemed surreal. It made me love the ride even more.

Untamed Rain.jpg
I think this is the hardest rain in which I've ever ridden a coaster.

It’s worth noting that Goliath had been closed for a few hours at this point. Since it was just 15 minutes prior to closing, I found it unlikely they’d reopen it. But for peace of mind, I had to check. And the coaster gods answered my prayers; it was testing.

It was quickly apparent what the issue was. The drive tires on the brake run were too slick to pull the train back into the station. SFNE’s Superman has the same issue on rainy days. After much squealing, the train returned to the station and Goliath reopened.

The smart decision would have been to ride in the back. It was the better seat and less painful with the rain. So of course I chose the front. :lol: After the acupuncture, I had just enough time to a final ride in the back.

Goliath On-Ride.jpg
No pain, no gain.

Since I’m a coaster nerd, I of course wanted a souvenir. But the apparel was as odd as the park’s theming. While it may be acceptable to wear a shirt that says “F#ck slow, hard gaan (go fast)” in the Netherlands, I don’t think that’ll fly back home. :lol:

F#ck Slow Sweatshirt.jpg
Hmmm, this seems like something I couldn't wear in America.

F#ck Slow Employee.jpg
But in the Netherlands it's perfectly fine. Look at the employee modeling the shirt.

Robin Hood Merchandise.jpg
If I had a greater connection to Robin Hood, these would have been super tempting.

Any of the top three coasters alone would make Walibi Holland worth visiting, so having all three together is a real treat. The theming is downright odd, but it can’t help bring a smile to your face.
Last edited by Canobie Coaster on Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:30 am.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby JG-77 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:39 am

Nice report, as always. I suspect the theme of Walibi Holland is just to intentionally be as bizarre and confusing as possible.

Also, you may want to fix this typo:
Since Walibi Holland has arguably the world’s worst boomerang, they are at least considerate enough to have arguably the world’s best boomerang.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:31 am

Wilder and faster than Twisted Timbers?! That's insane. Twisted Timbers is the most intense RMC in my opinion and I really liked it, but I thought that was about the limit of crazyness they could achieve. Stupid of me to think there is a limit on anything they do :lol: Great report!
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:34 am

^ Thanks! It really is insane how far RMC has come. They keep adding even crazier transitions with less time in between them.

Untamed doesn't have that throwaway overbank at the end or those mini hills of Twisted Timbers, it's relentless ejector airtime from start to finish.

JG-77 wrote:Nice report, as always. I suspect the theme of Walibi Holland is just to intentionally be as bizarre and confusing as possible.

Also, you may want to fix this typo:
Since Walibi Holland has arguably the world’s worst boomerang, they are at least considerate enough to have arguably the world’s best boomerang.

Thanks! I just corrected the typo. It must have been a side effect from El Condor trying to concuss me.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!