TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

We were wondering if this sad-looking theming ended up anywhere, in Scary Farm?

Just watching out for the little guys.

IMG_1229.JPG.7d52c953f258fcc028b6060c0607182c.JPG

Theming. Perfect for Scary Farm! Photo taken on Sept.11/19, on the way to Marketplace.

I see this as one of two options:

1. A new dark ride or theater ride of some sort to replace Mystery Lodge.

2. A new theme, overlay, or revamp of Voyage to the Iron Reef.

I think they're both equally likely. Mystery Lodge closed earlier this year, which could be a sign. But given the 100th Anniversary celebration, re-theming Voyage to something like Bear-y Tales or Kingdom of the Dinosaurs to bring back a classic would be fitting as well. Exciting stuff!

Don't forget the 'VR Showdown in Ghost Town attraction closed recently.

I did see that some sort of VR attaction is set up in the games area at the base of the SkyTower. Is that perhaps the VR showdown being re-utilized?

It wasn't open, and I never did the VR attraction, so I don't really know for sure, but it certainly seems to be a VR attraction.

Hopefully they'll take out Iron Reef. It's kinda lame.

I don't see them removing or revamping Iron Reef anytime soon. The ride is only like 3 years old and still pulls a pretty good line every time I've been to the park this year. I don't know where else they could stick another dark ride unless they take up some of the backstage area, which has been rumored to be moving across the street.

Hopefully they'll take out Iron Reef. It's kinda lame.

I don't see them removing or revamping Iron Reef anytime soon. The ride is only like 3 years old and still pulls a pretty good line every time I've been to the park this year. I don't know where else they could stick another dark ride unless they take up some of the backstage area, which has been rumored to be moving across the street.

hehehe rite rite. i'm still living on a prayer.

I see this as one of two options:

1. A new dark ride or theater ride of some sort to replace Mystery Lodge.

2. A new theme, overlay, or revamp of Voyage to the Iron Reef.

I think they're both equally likely. Mystery Lodge closed earlier this year, which could be a sign. But given the 100th Anniversary celebration, re-theming Voyage to something like Bear-y Tales or Kingdom of the Dinosaurs to bring back a classic would be fitting as well. Exciting stuff!

Don't forget the 'VR Showdown in Ghost Town attraction closed recently.

That would be extremely disappointing if the attraction is in that small space.

I don't know how small that space is but isn't there a new product from Mack/Trio-Tech that's an interactive darkride/flat ride specifically for a smaller space? I feel like I saw an ad or post for that recently on some kind of industry social media page, no idea if that's what this is but it looked like a fun concept.

It was put in a former lazer tag arena carved out from within their arcade on the boardwalk. Couldn't be more than 500sqft.

The VR Space, as it sits now, is not large enough to hold a ride.

But I do think it's funny everyone seems to think it must be either Mystery Lodge, or a re-do of Iron Reef. It can also be something totally new.

That being said, I really did not like Iron Reef, it's not a very good ride.. If it does get a re-theme, it can only get better!

How are the crowds Christmas through 2nd week of January typically? Looking at doing a quick trip for SFMM/KBF during that time.

Anaheim and Los Angeles school districts don't start classes again until Monday, Jan 13th, so I would wait until that week if possible. Those are two of the larger school districts in the area and a lot of their students have passes to local parks.

I visited the park on Tuesday for a few hours. Mystery Lodge is still locked up tight with no changes visible from the outside. The Mystery Lodge gift shop is open but the clerk didn't know anything about a new attraction from Triotech. I find it interesting that Knott's website lists Pony Express closed for Maintenance, but Mystery Lodge is closed for Refurbishment. The attraction is pretty much Pepper's ghost effect for the entire time, so not much in the way of effects or technology.

I also took a ride on Voyage to Iron Reef and checked out the arcade. The arcade attendant told me the waiting area for the old VR ride is going to be used for Ice Ball and the attraction portion is not likely to be used for the arcade. No one in the arcade or ride heard of a new Triotech attraction at the park.

The rest of the park was dead except for the line for the log ride. Ghostrider was only loading one train and only had a train or two waits for the front and last rows, and Xcelerator had a four-person wait for the front row at 1 pm.

20191029_131910.thumb.jpg.47395e6fb94985515e559b92cbd9952f.jpg

closer view

20191029_131927.thumb.jpg.8e4476b8e874522c5492919ceac5f38a.jpg

now Ice Ball per Northwind's request

20191029_131952.thumb.jpg.172dd5ef418f2870e16e60d54dd1b294.jpg

closed Ghost Town VR in arcade

20191029_131920.thumb.jpg.49c97f2f84ae6ea27242e8ea1acf9e20.jpg

shut doors to the old attraction

Knott's Berry Farm has announced two new experience that will honor the park's 100-year anniversary. Knott's 100th Anniversary: A Knott's Family Reunion will be a special celebration with food, merchandise, entertainment and more inspired by the park's history. Knott's Bear-y Tales: Return to the Fair is a new dark ride that will revisit the beloved characters of the former attraction in a new and interactive experience.

https://www.knotts.com/play/events/100th-anniversary?utm_source=social-media&utm_medium=kbf-boost&utm_campaign=100th&utm_content=bear-y-tales-announce

Knotts100.thumb.JPG.ba114496c23cf5dccc07e8058e89bed0.JPG

Knott's 100th Anniversary: A Knott's Family Reunion

A Tribute to the Knott Family's History - Coming May 15 - August 30, 2020

Southern California's original theme park, Knott's Berry Farm, commemorates its 100-year anniversary with a grand summer-long celebration paying tribute to the Knott family's rich history and legacy of family fun for all. "The Knott's Family Reunion" is a chance for friends and families to come together to relive their favorite Knott's remembrances while also creating unforgettable, exciting new memories. Guests will be immersed in a once-in-a-lifetime celebration featuring festive park décor, themed food items, unique entertainment, exclusive merchandise and special surprises along the way, all paying homage to the nostalgia that surrounds the historic theme park.

Knott’s Bear-y Tales: Return to the Fair

An all-new 4-D interactive dark ride opening Summer 2020

kbf-100anniversary-bearytales-img.thumb.jpg.80fcce15e899060e29228bf24e03b690.jpg

"A Knott's Family Reunion," will bring together old classics with new favorites, which includes the continuation of the beloved Bear-y Tales story in an all-new 4-D interactive dark ride. "Knott's Bear-y Tales: Return to the Fair" will take guests on an exciting journey through reimagined show scenes from the original dark ride, including the Boysenberry Pie Factory, Frog Forest, Fortune Teller Camp, Thunder Cave, and Weird Woods, culminating in a celebration at the County Fair. The story takes place 34 years after the original adventure and follows Boysen Bear and Girlsen Bear as they travel to the Country Fair to earn the blue ribbon prize for their famous boysenberry pies, but Crafty Coyote is back along with his mischievous pups intent on stealing all the pies for themselves. Guests will climb aboard ride vehicles equipped with jelly blasters to try and recover the stolen boysenberry pies as they travel through whimsical and beautiful environments while competing for the highest score.

This is what was sent to passholders:

Knott's Bear-y Tales: Return to the Fair

An all-new adventure will make its debut as part of the 100th anniversary celebration in summer 2020. This 4D interactive dark ride will bring to life a continuation of the story from the classic attraction. Guests will climb aboard ride vehicles equipped with "Jelly Blasters" and be immersed in the world of the Bear-y Tales characters to try and recover the stolen boysenberry pies from Crafty Coyote and his brood of pups. Families can ride through and take in the expansive surroundings or compete for the highest score. With all of the classic scenes reimagined including the Pie Factory, Frog Forest, and County Fair, this will be a journey like never experienced before!

Coming Summer 2020

Edited by jedimaster1227

The Orange County Register said it's replacing Voyage to the Iron Reef. Sounds like they're putting a new shooting dark ride using the Iron Reef ride system.

I hope they add animatronics. Lower budget CGI isn’t really a tribute.

I mean... whatever. I liked Voyage to the Iron Reef but it wasn't a must-ride either. I'm sort of expecting this to be the same type of thing (though you never know). I guess one advantage of having a ride that's almost entirely screens is that you can switch it up whenever you want so good for Knott's for keeping things fresh.

Edited by coasterbill

The Orange County Register said it's replacing Voyage to the Iron Reef. Sounds like they're putting a new shooting dark ride using the Iron Reef ride system.

This is exactly what I was expecting especially considering that Iron Reef is in the post of the old Bear-y tales ride.