TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

I'm not a big fan of the Bourne franchise (it's just ok), but I'm excited they're keeping the "never been seen before" hybrid screen/live actor thing from T2.

This cutting-edge live-action stunt show based on Universal Pictures’ blockbuster Bourne film franchise will blur the lines between stage and cinema in a hybrid form of entertainment that has never been seen before.

If it succeeds in drawing in the crowds, this will be practically like the Waterworld shows. Although in this case,

the Bourne Trilogy was pretty successful in each film, I recall. But for those who have never seen even one of the Trilogy, it should be good enough to keep them interested, too

If you're not hearing Lee Greenwood in your head as you're reading this story you're doing it wrong...

Bronx man sues NBC Universal over ‘unlimited’ soda refills at theme park

He’s thirsty for justice.

A Bronx man is suing NBC Universal after he paid for an “unlimited refill” soda machine deal at one of the company’s theme parks — only to discover he had to wait a whole 10 minutes between each pour.

Luis Arnaud is bubbling with anger over the “false advertising” — saying he learned while trying to “quench his thirst” that the refills were in fact “limited” to a measly “total of only six per hour,” according to the class-action lawsuit filed in Manhattan federal court Thursday.

Arnaud says he visited Universal’s Island of Adventure in Orlando, Fla., on July 30 and bought a 16-ounce “Coca-Cola Freestyle” cup — which purported to come with “unlimited” refills all day — for $16.99.

The next day, he reactivated the cup at Universal’s sister theme park Volcano Bay for $8.99, the suit says.

The cups come with a computer chip to show you’ve paid for the bottomless deal — but Arnaud learned they were also tracking how often users top up, and are “programmed” to limit refills to every 10 minutes.

When he tried to “quench his thirst and refill his cup again” before that period was up, the machine flashed a message rejecting his request, the suit says.

“Hi. You are not quite ready to fill up,” it proclaimed — along with the number of minutes he had to wait — according to photos of the failed attempt in his suit.

His suit also includes ads for the “freestyle” deal at the park, which promotes “unlimited” refills with “100+ drink choices” — but doesn’t appear to mention the limits.

The move is a “deceptive” and “unconscionable trade and business practice,” the suit charges.

“He would not have been willing to pay the sum he paid had he known that the Products did not provide unlimited ­refills and were mislabeled and falsely advertised,” the suit reads.

“Defendant delivered Products with significantly less value than was affirmed by their representations, thereby depriving him of the benefit of his bargain and injuring him in an amount up to the purchase price.”

Arnaud is seeking unspecified damages.

NBC Universal didn’t return a request for comment Thursday.

Arnaud could not be reached for comment.

New York Post

... god Bless America

Edited by coasterbill

Good lord. Funnily enough, Six Flags was pretty lenient about their unlimited refills. You're *supposed* to scan your membership card for a fill up because there is a time limit like Universal's, but a lot of places didn't have any employees checking and the one time there was, they waved off scanning our cards.

I just hope that guy was filling up on Powerade or something; that much soda in a day with walking around a park in the heat... just asking for dehydration.

I just hope that guy was filling up on Powerade or something; that much soda in a day with walking around a park in the heat... just asking for dehydration.

Not to be "that guy" but while not as hydrating as pure water, it is certainly not dehydrating or close to it. This is a common myth.

Not saying he should be drinking that much, but... yeah. lol.

FYI: I am not a doctor. But you can Google it. I actually am fun at parties, I promise.

Pretty sure Cedar Fair has a 10-15 min wait in between on the paper cup plan, I can't remember exactly cause I don't even get the refills that quickly lol

Legoland Florida has a similar 10 minute time throttle on their Freestyle machines.

And yes, it's a ridiculous lawsuit, but he's not technically wrong. Look a menu description change to remove the word "unlimited" or maybe an asterisk and some tiny type that no one will read. Progress!

Pretty sure Cedar Fair has a 10-15 min wait in between on the paper cup plan, I can't remember exactly cause I don't even get the refills that quickly lol

Cedar Fair's is 15 minutes, and I guess I'm just the type to read the fine print, but I always knew that was the deal when I bought the drink plan.

Hey there,

we're recently planning our Orlando trip in October 2020. As we are attending our best friends wedding, we will be very likely be spending some time at Universal. As we will have two kids by then, one two and a half year old and one six months old, we have some questions:

Are the two parks doable with one or two strollers?

Are there also rides for kids?

How does the baby switch work?

How does the Express Pass work? More like Six Flags or more like Cedar fair?

Is the water park suitable for kids or should we postpone that to a future trip?

We're also glad for some tips you have that ease up our planning. We plan to do two days with Express Passes, no matter how the crowds are, just to have the fewest possible time waiting in lines, even if we only skip ten minute lines.

Thanks for helping us. Especially Sarah will be more relaxed if we start planning now. The journey will be very exciting, also because we're planning to travel with a kid that's not even born yet!

Each park has a good kids area. Islands of Adventure has Seuss Landing and Universal has the Woody Woodpecker/Barney/Fievel's Playland area. The areas have a mix of rides and play structures.

As for Express Pass, you get your own separate queue. No reservation time; you just walk right in. You can either do unlimited or one time each. Universal also has tons of single rider lines, but I don't know how those would work with parent swap. It's worth noting that Hagrid's currently is not on Express Pass.

I've never done Volcano Bay so I can't speak to that park.

Hey there,

we're recently planning our Orlando trip in October 2020. As we are attending our best friends wedding, we will be very likely be spending some time at Universal. As we will have two kids by then, one two and a half year old and one six months old, we have some questions:

Is the water park suitable for kids or should we postpone that to a future trip?

We're also glad for some tips you have that ease up our planning. We plan to do two days with Express Passes, no matter how the crowds are, just to have the fewest possible time waiting in lines, even if we only skip ten minute lines.

Thanks for helping us. Especially Sarah will be more relaxed if we start planning now. The journey will be very exciting, also because we're planning to travel with a kid that's not even born yet!

You may wanna check the heights of your kids before the trip and just be aware that pretty much everything at Universal has a height restriction, even the dark rides like Cat in the Hat, ET and the kiddie coasters like Hippogriff/Woody Woodpecker and Seuss Trolley are 34'/36" so a 2.5 year old might be under that. I personally haven't taken my kids to Universal yet cause there's just not that much for them to do there yet. Same thing at Volcano Bay outside of the lazy rivers and kids sections. If you do express pass for yourself and just let the kids play in the playgrounds I'm sure you can still have a nice time, but actual rides for younger kids at those parks are pretty limited.

Hey there,

You may wanna check the heights of your kids before the trip and just be aware that pretty much everything at Universal has a height restriction, even the dark rides like Cat in the Hat, ET and the kiddie coasters like Hippogriff/Woody Woodpecker and Seuss Trolley are 34'/36" so a 2.5 year old might be under that. I personally haven't taken my kids to Universal yet cause there's just not that much for them to do there yet. Same thing at Volcano Bay outside of the lazy rivers and kids sections. If you do express pass for yourself and just let the kids play in the playgrounds I'm sure you can still have a nice time, but actual rides for younger kids at those parks are pretty limited.

Yeah, like Holiday Park here.. We wouldn't go there with the kids if we weren't directly adjacent in a hotel. So to have a fun day as long as the kids are good with it and hitting as many rides as possible with the Express Pass will do it for us!

Thanks for helping us in such a short time. We love TPR for that reason!

I would recommend staying at the Cabana Bay hotel for your visit. It's a great hotel for kids and very reasonably priced for an onsite hotel. It has has two great pool areas - one with a sandy beach and slides and another one with a lazy river. The main restaurant is cafeteria style with several different food stations (salad bar, grill, pizza/pasta, etc), so there's something for everybody. We stayed there on our Universal Orlando visit two years ago and absolutely loved it. My kids are constantly asking when we are going back! (I told them probably in 2021, waiting for Hagrid's to get the kinks out and the JP coaster to open.)

This may be a dumb question but I bought my tickets and Express pass for a night at HHN this weekend and the Express pass is just a PDF with a bar code that says proceed to the entrance of each House/Attraction. Ticket also states that you have to show ID, but do you really have to show ID at each attraction to use the express pass? I haven't been in a few years but remember Express passes being like a lanyard, but mobile works for me if that's the case.