TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

New details about the new "Disney Genie" digital offering that will debut at the Walt Disney World Resort in 2020 were released today at the D23 Expo Disney Parks, Experiences and Products presentation!

Based on the number of clueless posts I see on the internet from people that have no idea how to use the Disney app this will probably be a great tool for beginners.

Have to say for my first experience doing a special event at Disney I thought Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween was really over crowded. The event was sold out but it just really seemed like wall to wall people in the walkways. I'm guessing because of some rides not being open as well. It just really seemed like they over sold the event. I don't know if the season pass for the Halloween parties made the parks crowded or what but it really felt like more of a normal really busy park day.

Ride wise I never saw dwarfs drop under 40 mins and space mountain was 30-40 mins all night. Haunted mansion was always around 30-40 and pirates was 15-35.

The special costumes, parades and shows were all really well done but I can't say I thought it was a good value for $140 to spend 8 hours in the park nor would I recommend it to anyone. Would be nice if the park stayed open until 2am considering the cost and that the party doesn't really start till 7pm. Or at least start the event at 6pm and end it at 1am.

I would have rather spent a full day in the park normally and worked my way through the day using fast pass and not waiting on lines.

It's a shame because I've always heard amazing things about these parties from here and other places and the photos always looked great but I can't say I would do another one any time soon if I had to pay.

The park itself does look amazing though and the meet and greets with the characters were absolutely fantastic, the staff that worked with them were wonderful as well. Can't say enough good things about the staff.

I do have to say that after visiting the Disney Tokyo parks that it affects the way I see the parks here as well. It's amazing how everyone there sits down to watch the parades and how generally nice and courteous everyone is. You wouldn't see people leaving trash and all their candy wrappers on the ground in Tokyo like they did here.

Like anything else, you have to catch it when its not so crowded. WDW has upped the capacity on the event so if its a sold out night, its not going to be fun.

Have to say for my first experience doing a special event at Disney I thought Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween was really over crowded. The event was sold out but it just really seemed like wall to wall people in the walkways.

I was just there 2 weeks ago on a sold out night. I agree the pathways were busy, but the ride lines were minimal. I found all the ride times were overestimated (Seven Dwarfs was posted 45 min but I boarded in 20 min) and the queues flew without FastPass active.

I loved the event and would happily go back on a future trip.

Ride wise I never saw dwarfs drop under 40 mins and space mountain was 30-40 mins all night. Haunted mansion was always around 30-40 and pirates was 15-35.

Even if they aren't walk-on, those are still really reasonable wait times compared to what you'll see during the day. I get that the crowds cut into the expected exclusivity of an after hours upcharge event, but I think this goes right along with the idea that there's no longer such a thing as a "slow" time at WDW, especially at Magic Kingdom.

I would also point out that the wait time for Haunted Mansion is one that is consistently over stated. I've jumped in the line with a 30 minute or more advertised wait more than once and been in the pre show in less than 10. That thing is a line eater.

We've just had better experiences with crowds on normal days and being able to get on mine train on fast pass and all the other major rides so waiting was very minimal.

Considering the tickets were more money for this and that I've always read that these are less crowded it just didn't feel that way to me at all.

I'm not a Disney hater at all, I enjoy the parks a lot. This was our 5th different Disney park of the year, we just had way better experiences in terms of crowds and rides at both the Tokyo parks and both Cali parks this year and Tokyo was really crowded then as well, even more people than last night.

I just don't enjoy having to dodge people, strollers and electric scooters because the pathways are all jammed packed and a vast majority of the people are completely oblivious to anyone around them that they don't know. Trying to watch the shows and parades were wall to wall people. With there being less rides and shows open it just spilled more people out into the pathways. Also getting into the park was a mess and just understaffed, they really needed more people putting wrist bands on people.

I thought the shows, decorations, fireworks and character meet and greets were all fantastic and top notch like mostly everything Disney does, I just didn't care for the crowd and just would prefer that when we go back that we fast pass our way through the day with minimal waits.

Jungle Cruise was the only major closed ride I noticed.

With two parades and a fireworks show in the span of 2 hours, I agree the pathways get quite congested. It was tricky for us to get from Splash Mountain to Space Mountain after the Boo to You Parade ended, but our efforts were rewarded with a 5-10 minute wait.

• 3 weeks later...

from the "Just Noticing Dept".....

Now that it's done, that two Autopia-type small car driving attractions are now closed in Hong Kong Disneyland, and Tokyo Disneyland (for Marvel in HKDL and Beauty/Beast in TDL)... doesn't it look rather obvious, that TommorowLand Speedway in Magic Kingdom is basically on it's last legs? First, it was slightly shortened (cordoned off. I don't remember) for the new Circus Area, off of FantasyLand. And now recently, it's actually been shortened for the new TRON coaster there.

I think there's now some good space available for something new, high tech and totally "tomorrow" in that spot. Hmmm? Yes/No? (Ha! Bring an Original Alien Encounter Back in that spot, plplplplease?)

Just a thought. I am also convinced that Disneyland's will/would be "The Last To Go," if it came to that.

Beauty (Paris) Before Age (Anaheim).

• 2 months later...

From the "Well that's different" department: every single outdoor adult coaster in Orlando (Hagrid, Hulk, Rockit, Thunder, Mine Train, Slinky, Everest) is closed due to temps below 40 degrees this morning.

I don't know if I've ever seen that (aside from Rockit which...lol).

Edited by coasterbill

I know it's super early but I have a question about the Not So Scary Halloween party. We'll be at Disney World Sept 8-13 (Tues-Sun). What I can't decide is if it's 'worth it' particularly since it seem to have mostly been very crowded last year; SH's posts from last year as an example. But that visit was in October itself; I'm cautiously hoping it being so early in Sept would help 'alleviate said crowds, what do you think? Common sense would suggest "well duh of course it'd be less busy" but research is giving me answers all over the place, sometimes different reports for the same day even (it was busy! it wasnt busy!). I'm not a Disney 'pro', this will be our first full trip, and probably last as the entire family so am trying to wring the best out of it and you guys are great at informed advice rather than just gut feeling stuff.

I know it's super early but I have a question about the Not So Scary Halloween party. We'll be at Disney World Sept 8-13 (Tues-Sun). What I can't decide is if it's 'worth it' particularly since it seem to have mostly been very crowded last year; SH's posts from last year as an example. But that visit was in October itself; I'm cautiously hoping it being so early in Sept would help 'alleviate said crowds, what do you think? Common sense would suggest "well duh of course it'd be less busy" but research is giving me answers all over the place, sometimes different reports for the same day even (it was busy! it wasnt busy!). I'm not a Disney 'pro', this will be our first full trip, and probably last as the entire family so am trying to wring the best out of it and you guys are great at informed advice rather than just gut feeling stuff.

Ive found Disney Tourist Blog to have the most accurate and up to date info. Since its early season, I would think a midweek party wouldnt be too crowded. My personal opinion is if youve done the party before, you dont really need to do it again. We went mostly to meet Jack & Sally.

Keep in mind, the event can be sold out and you can still ride all of the rides with minimal wait. There is so much going on with the shows, the parade, and the candy spots that the heavier density of the crowds stay pretty much in the castle area and along the parade routes.

Using the app to check wait times and making sure you don't get in a mass exodus from the parade/shows can help as they will tend to head straight to Space Mountain or Pirates. Catch the rides in Adventureland and Tomorrowland especially Space Mountain during one of the many runs of Hocus Pocus and it will be a ghost town over there.

It's worth every penny, even with a crowd. It's far and away the best atmosphere I've every experienced in a park.

Agreed, although I thought Haunt at Kings Island was a very close second.

If you do go, make sure you get pics outside the main gate. The fog and lighting effects are great, and they add in the Headless Horseman too.

wdw2017291840407172_405625960062_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.thumb.jpg.c5727da37d62b9f949f78a2a03f4fb12.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the jungle ride boats took on some water, of course the news is gonna over blow it with the word "sinks" lol, there are some pictures on here...

https://heavy.com/news/2020/02/disney-world-jungle-cruise-boat-sinks/

"happened on the Jungle Cruise around 12:30 p.m. local time in Orlando, Florida, which forced the ride to shut down until around 2 p.m.

Soon afterward, Twitter user Matthew Vince, who was reported on the ride the filled with water and cause the boat to sink, shared photos of the incident online. Thus far, there have no reports of any passengers being injured."

I don't know why you're bashing the media on this one, it feels justified.

While the boat didn't exactly sink, being knee deep in water that's known to be infested with alligators and hippos (which are known to be very territorial and kill approximately 500 people per year) is nothing to joke about. Hopefully Disney rectifies this.

• Like 1