TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

So inspired by the Liseberg thread I found some previews of what the upcoming expansion of Gröna Lund might look like, its not final. Pictures show what looks like a large multi-launch coaster. I also included a picture for what seems like more underground office/workshop space

Untitled.thumb.png.d80ce769a4654c33d809bf108af751e0.png

Expansion concept

Untitled2.thumb.png.995451ef26a86a9bbde94886fe1715df.png

Side view of expansion

So inspired by the Liseberg thread I found some previews of what the upcoming expansion of Gröna Lund might look like, its not final. Pictures show what looks like a large multi-launch coaster. I also included a picture for what seems like more underground office/workshop space

Where did you find these previews?

That multi-launch coaster looks pretty interessting.

Therese are public documents from the city of Stockholm. Very long and boring documents but it really shows how complicated these expansions are, they have to account for things like added sound and environmental impact. There are people living just next to Gröna Lund and this expansion will be right outside their windows. The problem there seem to be be that the expansion would put sound levels above the required maximum. BUT they are already above the limit and this would make it worse. Interesting dilemmas that the park has to work out, they are looking into paying for new windows for all residents for example. Hopefully it can all be worked out. The coaster might be 40 or 60m high

This is not the B&M btw, its another expansion

The new zoning plan have gone out on public consultation now. Gröna Lund has released quite a lot of information here: https://www.gronalund.com/sv/Planera-ditt-besok/2024/

It's all in Swedish but in short points they state:

- They hope to start construction in 2024

- The new area will consist of at least 25% greenery and vegetation.

- No rides have been decided upon, the renders are just for illustrating the height limits.

- Speaking of height limits, the general height limit of the new area will be 12m, however one spike at 18m, three at 30m, one at 35m and one at 45m will be allowed.

Nice, thanks. A very triggering FAQ A capital city cant be static, looks change over time. Grona Lund is very cramped in the high season, an expansion is much needed. Also with 1.6 million visitors annually that has to be weight against the dozens(?) of complaints

• 10 months later...

As is the case with Liseberg, Gröna Lund will stay closed for the whole season. Construction of the new B&M is going forward though, as well as the new area where it will stand.

An article was published just a few days ago and both the name and the theme was revealed. The names is "Monster" and is themed around a monster that lives in an abandoned subway station.

https://www.iaapa.org/grona-lunds-monster-sized-challenge

Great! Whether this is a great coaster/layout or not, the setting looks really unique which will surely add to the experience. 24 riders per train (artwork showing four-across trains, but seven rows), so we're looking good for tight clearances too. This is one park in Europe I've not been, but I think it's pretty much at the top of my list, even without Monster.

• 1 month later...

I went past Gröna Lund today to see if there was something to see, and a managed to catch a few pics of the construction of the "Monster-area". First up a peek through the gate of the "Tyrolen entrance". You can see part of the brake run that was installed last winter already.

IMG_20200919_121622_5.thumb.jpg.e48cdf6b75ea7fd52208d7c01c8dce30.jpg

Another one through the same gate, only "Tyrol" visible on the left remains of the old buildings.

IMG_20200919_121640_3.thumb.jpg.90e76ad51a22ad7472114a80b0e98a05.jpg

Last but not least i took a pic from the ferry while leaving. Here we can see the new beer tavern, also visible in the first pic, replacing the old Biergarten in the same spot. Also visible is parts for the massive support that will carry the weight of Monsters first drop.

IMG_20200919_122129_2.thumb.jpg.062436f3be01a7e9df1e6afb1036f93f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 1:15 PM, cfc said:

I'm pleased the the old Biergarten was at least replaced with a Beer Tavern.

I totally agree with this! 🍻 ^ And the video is totally awesome! So much stuff to show, including the park, itself!

1658877970_ResizeofIMG_5506.JPG.d547e6ca363768d42a37f9095c880f79.JPG

The gang at the old Biergarten. TPR 2014 Scandi Tour. (Pardon the fuzziness of the group)

• robbalvey changed the title to Gröna Lund Discussion Thread
13 hours ago, WolfBobs said:

That giant thick tree trunk of a support in the middle is very interesting.  Little thicc boi :) 

Really looking forward to a POV of this ride when it's available.

There are going to be a few of these dotted around the course, at least four I think. It seems like a good idea because it cuts down on the amount of supports and groundwork.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...