RMCs & Poffertjes: Chuck & TPR 's 2019 Europe Trip

UPDATE: Kolmarden, p. 11
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: RMCs & Poffertjes: Chuck & TPR 's 2019 Europe Trip

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:12 am

Nice report! Both parks look really laid back.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:48 pm

016.jpg
Is it a CAT or a RAT? This question has baffled scientists and theologians alike for centuries.

It is a RAT dressed in a Cat costume for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. Riddle solved!

Alice ;)

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:56 pm

You know, having never been to Drievliet before, and not having done any real researched, I just assumed that Formule X was the park's big new ride. In fact, I assumed that until just now when I read your update!

I really liked Drievliet. It was cute and interesting and fun. I would've called it the surprise of the trip, until we got to Legendia.

Duinrell, on the other hand...well, I was going to say, "is a park." But it's not really, is it?

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:58 pm

“Happy Valley Poland”: Energylandia

Energylandia has the potential to be the greatest mini-golf course ever. That is, most of the park’s park’s theming looks like it was bought during a half-off sale from some company that specializes in making statues designed as obstacles for putt-putt golfers to circumvent in their quest for a free game.

OK, that’s a bit harsh. Energylandia is a good-sized, fairly new park in Poland that seems in quest of an identity. I didn’t know what to make of it. The park did have a nice “Scandinavian” section, and the new “Dragon Zone” (which was soft opening while we were there) looked pretty good, too. Hyperion, the big Intamin coaster out front, certainly looked impressive and boasted an elaborate, sci-fi themed queue. The new RMC, Zadra (not ready when we were there), should be excellent, and Formula, a new launched Vekoma coaster, was a great ride.

But then there’s the rest of the place--a visual cacophony of fiberglass dragons, demons, aliens, and giant flowers, not to mention a huge collection of kiddie coasters. This is what brought to mind the Chinese theme parks I’d visited with TPR on a past trip. But, in all fairness, the Happy Valley parks usually boasted more-defined themed areas (such as a “circus” or a “Wild West” town). Energylandia had “zones” (such as “Dragon Zone” or “Extreme Zone”), and it looks like they just slapped some random thing up wherever they had space.

Outside of the still-under-construction Zadra, there were three noteworthy coasters at Energylandia:

Hyperion--this huge Intamin coaster with a 270-foot first drop was, let’s say, a mixed bag. If you sat in the two inside seats, you could get a good ride with some crazy air. But the train rattled badly, and a ride in the outside, “wing” seats was uncomfortable, at best, and painful, at worst.

Formula--this launched Vekoma was the second-most pleasant surprise of the whole trip (the first-most pleasant would be the next day). The launch was nice and forceful, and the ride is smooth with air time to spare. Great work, Vekoma! You’ve come a long way from the SLC and the Boomerang.

Speed--this Intamin Water Coaster was the wettest ride ever this side of Bluto’s Bilge Rat Barges. The coaster part of it was OK, but the finish! I was sitting in the back row on the right side. We hit the last splashdown, an enormous wave engulfed the front of the boat, and the back of the boat filled with water up to my knees. Er, was it supposed to do that? I thought the damn thing was going to sink for a moment, but the water drained out as we returned to the station. Check out Robb’s video if you don’t believe me.

Energylandia is also home to the worst shooting dark ride ever. I think it was named Monster Attack, and it was like a ride you’d see in a cheesy, made-for-TV horror movie in the 1980s. The operations were rather odd. There was no real “station,” and no sign of any ride ops. But a small vehicle did stop in front of Larry and me. Larry got in, and I had one foot in the vehicle and one on the platform when the thing dispatched. What the hell? We then rolled around a warehouse full of generic “alien” statues, with some light, sound, and fog effects and guns that may or may not have worked.

I guess I’ve rambled about Energylandia long enough. But I think I should end this narrative with something positive. Hmm . . . Formula was excellent, the new Dragon Zone looked nice, and the food there was pretty good.

Care to join me inside? It was pretty gloomy that day, so the photos are not as good as I’d like, but maybe it’s for the best. Who knows?
001.jpg
“Hi, folks! Welcome to Energylandia! My name is . . . er . . . I don’t know what my name is. Something to do with ‘energy,’ I guess.”
002.jpg
I guess this is, er, Energlylandia Guy's castle?
003.jpg
Looks like the park got a good deal on old Vekoma seats. They don't recline, though.
004.jpg
I think Western Camp is the park’s official resort, which makes sense as there is absolutely no “Wild West” theming here. The park map does indicate that a “Hotel Zone” is going to be built.
005.jpg
Many celebrities have endorsed Energylandia, ranging from, er, this guy . . .
006.jpg
. . . to Angerfist. I’m surprised he doesn’t have his own attraction.
007.jpg
Our first objective was a filming session on Hyperion.
008.jpg
OK, Hyperion. Don’t force me to get sideways with you!
009.jpg
The ride had a rather complicated back story that unfolded throughout the queue. Something about testing a new spaceship that looked suspiciously like an Intamin coaster train.
010.jpg
Here we go into space! That’s why it’s so dark.
011.jpg
There is no gravity . . . in space!
012.jpg
Prepare to turnaround . . . in space!
014.jpg
In space, no one can hear your train rattle.
015.jpg
Will these folks survive their journey to the "final frontier"?
016.jpg
I wonder if the guy in white and blue in the front row is some Polish superhero. He does seem to be wearing Spandex.
017.jpg
Can you putt the ball through the dragon and campfire, or do you have to go around them? The par is 3, right?
017a.jpg
So that's what happened to Kings Dominion's volcano.
018.jpg
OK, you have to like any Vekoma Family Suspended Coaster in which the train is swallowed by a dragon.
019.jpg
Welcome to Monster Attack! They should have Sally come in and install one of those “North Pole Adventure” rides in this building. It would be a 1,000% improvement.
020.jpg
I think this is more accurate than any of the park’s computerized wait-time signs, in which nothing had more than a 10-minute wait no matter how full the queue was.
021.jpg
I detect a double joke here. Well played, Energylandia!
022.jpg
What’s the name of this ride? “The Bat”? “Vampire”? “Vampire Bat”?
022a.jpg
Oh, of course. How silly of me.
023.jpg
This is probably the third- or fourth-best coaster in the park, pre-RMC.
024.jpg
At least they could’ve named it “Bat-a-Rang.” (Seriously, would anyone from DC Comics have even noticed?)
025.jpg
I think Angerfist would pay good money to sponsor one of those two rides.
027.jpg
Wow! What a facade! There must be a great ride here.
028.jpg
Oh, crap.
029.jpg
Ah, the oil-splattered charm of the old Vekoma!
030.jpg
You know, whatever the trains or restraints they use . . .
031.jpg
. . . that’s still just plain messed up.
032.jpg
Hey, the SLC has its own gift shop.
033.jpg
Made from the skulls of previous riders. More to come.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:38 pm

Yes, there's still more Energylandia to come!
034.jpg
This “Viking-themed” mouse was also, er, not good.
035.jpg
But they got a great deal on this scary dragon statue.
036.jpg
Would you try a “spit cake”? They looked pretty good.
037.jpg
I didn’t get a photo of Speed’s infamous splashdown. Experiencing it was quite enough.
038.jpg
If you’re going to ride something called Frutti Loop . . .
038a.jpg
. . . you should hide your head in shame.
039.jpg
Do not remove this tag under penalty of law.
040.jpg
This is a bit more acceptable than Frutti Loop.
041.jpg
Not so sure if this is.
042.jpg
Yeah, this is a step down from Frutti Loop.
043.jpg
The Viking section was kind of nice.
044.jpg
Here’s one of the nice Vikings now. The glasses really make the outfit.
045.jpg
Yes, it looks sufficiently Nordic, but . . . what the hell’s that?
046.jpg
Looks like Mater’s alcoholic cousin found himself a gig. But why is this here?
046a.jpg
You had to walk through a tunnel under a road to get to the new Dragon Zone.
047.jpg
It looked pretty nice and Game of Thrones-like.
048.jpg
Behold Zadra--and a honest-to-god dragon!
048a.jpg
I have no doubt this is an excellent ride.
049.jpg
But there was some work yet to be done while we were there.
050.jpg
For now we must be content . . .
051.jpg
. . . with this . . .
052.jpg
. . . and a Roller Skater.
053.jpg
Then again, there is a “brewery salon,” which could turn out to be one of the park’s best attractions, when they get more than one tap working (well, this was a soft opening).
054.jpg
Let’s have a look at the park’s best ride: Formula.
055.jpg
Vekoma did themselves proud with this launched coaster.
056.jpg
Smooth and just forceful enough.
057.jpg
I think everybody in the group liked this ride. Vekoma, my hat’s off to you. Well done!
058.jpg
Let’s close with one more nice thing about Energylandia--this cake. Kudos for the cake! Legendia awaits.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:01 pm

That viking.....:lol: And cake is a great way to end a trip report, especially yours, Chuck.

Looking forward to how Legendia "turned your theme park feels on"....or not. :wink:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:14 pm

Really great, honest report! The park has a LOT of potential, it's just soooo odd!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Great report! There are so many weird things at this park. :lol:

I particularly like the automatic dispatching dark ride and the Cars ripoff.

But I really think they should just swap this sign with the Vekoma test seats out front.

Soft Opening.jpg
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Postby jynx242 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:18 am

Awesome report and pictures Chuck! I got quite a few chuckles reading it. Seems like a park in search of an identity and I hope they get it together. Also looks like a very large drop in "quality" between the amazing heavy hitter roller coasters and the kids coasters. Did any of them qualify as "family" rides?

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:20 am

jynx242 wrote:Awesome report and pictures Chuck! I got quite a few chuckles reading it. Seems like a park in search of an identity and I hope they get it together. Also looks like a very large drop in "quality" between the amazing heavy hitter roller coasters and the kids coasters. Did any of them qualify as "family" rides?

The bat-themed Boomerang is probably the best of the small coasters and could be called a "family" ride. The dragon-themed Vekoma suspended coaster was OK, too. I think I would have swapped a few of those kiddie coasters for a decently themed Vekoma mine train, if I were running the place.
Last edited by cfc on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:50 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!