TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

To keep in line with their African inspired names, such as Montu, Sheikra, Kumba, etc., a better name would have been Twisted Mamba since Mamba in Swahili means crocodile and their theming this after a crocodile. There's no sense in naming it Iron Gwazi (NOT saying I don't like the name because I do) when it's being themed after a crocodile and Gwazi was themed around being a hybrid of a tiger/lion creature haha but, I do love that they're paying homage to the original coaster by keeping it's original name, nonetheless. I'm totally digging what we could see of the trains and the logo looks awesome, too! That purple track with the green trains is going to be a sick contrast. This is gonna be a HUGE hitter for BGT! It looks bad ass for sure. I'll definitely be making my way down there next year!

Totally agree. The crocodile doesn't make sense. Iron Gwazi isn't a bad name, but at least make the logo an iron looking version of the original Gwazi logo. The logo for Iron Gwazi looks so low quality. As a graphic designer of almost 20 years experience, including designing for Orlando theme parks - I'm disappointed in the logo. Like, all their other coaster logos look awesome. I don't understand what happened with the marketing for this.

Nobody is going to care about the name or logo once the ride opens. People just get used to it, associate it with the ride and move on. I know I've used this example before but there is currently an honest-to-god ride at an honest-to-god theme park in Ohio named "Mystic Timbers" and people are just totally okay with that and act like it's normal and it's a normal and fitting name for a thrill ride. Once you get used to the name, nobody cares or even thinks about it (good or bad).

Edited by coasterbill

FFS people. They announce this super kick ass looking coaster and everyone is bitching about the name. OK, fine, the name isn't amazing, BUT... I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision of "going with something totally new" like Steel Vengeance or sticking to the roots of the coaster and tying that in with the original name. Honestly, we have been all been calling it "RMC Gwazi" or "Gwazi 2020" for almost TWO YEARS now, so why change that?

You also have to keep in mind your "average" park guest. People who are not in the know, or people who may have not visited the park in ten years are going to look at that wooden structure and think that is "Gwazi." So at least keeping the name Gwazi alive people will associate the wood structure with the location of that ride, just from a logistics standpoint. Giving it a new name like "Iron Gwazi" at least helps communicate "It's not the same Gwazi."

You have to remember that parks make decision based on many MANY different layers of guests that visit the park. Some not so educated about rides than other.

Case in point, even today, some of the "non-coaster press" were asking serious questions like "I don't see how this is different. Tell me what makes this different from the original ride." "Why is this not considered a wood coaster when it looks like a wood coaster." And these people are FROM THE MEDIA. So what do you think paying guests might think?

So before you go bitching about the name, just stop and think about WHY some of the choices were made. Sure, they probably could have come up with a better name, but who cares? The ride is most likely going to become the best ride in the park! Isn't that what is most important?

People, if you are inclined to get worked up, then before you get all worked up, take a minute to remember:

I can't believe there's gonna be a giant kickass RMC at the same park as Cheetah Hunt, Kumba, Montu, Falcons Fury and Sheikra.

This is what matters. This is why we go to theme parks. Theme parks are fun.

FFS people. They announce this super kick ass looking coaster and everyone is bitching about the name. ...... Sure, they probably could have come up with a better name, but who cares? The ride is most likely going to become the best ride in the park! Isn't that what is most important?

Exactly. If your complaining about the name of a coaster you have missed the entire point.

On another note, very excited to ride this. Considering what RMC did for that torture machine called Mean Steak and how great that turned out this looks like it will be on the same scale or possibly even better. But hey, let's b*tch about the name some more.

Considering what RMC did for that torture machine called Mean Steak

And Hurler! People forget that in the last few years of Hurler that thing was UNRIDABLE!!! And considering that I still feel like when Busch Gardens Tampa closed Gwazi all they did was IMPROVE the overall quality of their coasters by removing it from the line-up. And now? Not only is Tigris a super FUN coaster for this year, but Iron Gwazi is just going to help make BGT have one of the best overall coaster collections in the world. I mean, there isn't a "bad" coaster, not anywhere close, in their line-up of rides.

....Case in point, even today, some of the "non-coaster press" were asking serious questions like "I don't see how this is different. Tell me what makes this different from the original ride." "Why is this not considered a wood coaster when it looks like a wood coaster." And these people are FROM THE MEDIA. So what do you think paying guests might think?....

Wait, someone seriously said they didn't see how Iron Gwazi is different than the OG Gwazi? ......... wow.

Anywho, no I totally get what you're saying completely, Robb. As I said, I love the name, I'm not bothered by it, I guess I'm more upset at the fact that by them keeping the name, they didn't stick to the Lion/Tiger theme that went along with it. Nonethless, I'm stoked AF to ride it next year It's really going to put BGT on the map big time and it's definitely a coaster they've been needing to really amp up the parks line-up as a whole.

I can't believe there's gonna be a giant kickass RMC at the same park as Cheetah Hunt, Kumba, Montu, Falcons Fury and Sheikra.

I hear you...that is one awesome collection of thrills.

Think if they also threw in a Screaming Swing in a couple of years? This park would have one of the most well-rounded collections of thrill rides on the planet.

Oh wait, it already does.

God damn, I love this park.

Not a whole lot of new information, but it's cool to finally have a name to call it, and know some official stats! As others have said repeatedly, this park is already awesome (my 3rd favorite park, currently), and they're about to get a world class RMC coaster that could very well be among the best 3 coasters in the world when all is said and done! It's really pretty mindblowing to think about, and that's not even touching on the fact that they're a definitely one of the few parks left that could legitimately get a Giga coaster in a few years! All of you who live down there, and get to go to this park on the regular are sure blessed, and I definitely think I'm going to try and bump up my next trip down with my kids to next year, instead of 2021, because I just can't wait to ride this thing!

As for the name, and apparent theme change, it absolutely is a little puzzling! While I LOVE going with a Crocodile theme, and also appreciate the tribute to Gwazi (which has always been a cool name), it does end up seeming kind of odd, given what Gwazi is supposed to refer to. Regardless of that, however, in the grand scheme of things, the colors are cool, the logo is cool, and I'm sure this thing is going to ride beyond cool, which relegates all of the name/theme issues to minor semantics, ultimately unimportant. Iron Gwazi is going to be a special coaster, at a special park, with a lot of other great coasters, rides, and attractions, not to mention the fantastic animals!

If you couldn't tell, I the SEAS parks, and BGT is my favorite! I'm rocking my Kumba shirt today to celebrate the exciting news! Hats off to BGT, for bringing us this addition, and I look forward to a POV, or at least a layout (like we've been given with Pantheon, Ice Breaker, and Texas Stingray) in due time, to fill in all the missing pieces currently!

As for the name, and apparent theme change, it absolutely is a little puzzling! While I LOVE going with a Crocodile theme, and also appreciate the tribute to Gwazi (which has always been a cool name), it does end up seeming kind of odd, given what Gwazi is supposed to refer to. Regardless of that, however, in the grand scheme of things, the colors are cool, the logo is cool, and I'm sure this thing is going to ride beyond cool, which relegates all of the name/theme issues to minor semantics, ultimately unimportant. Iron Gwazi is going to be a special coaster, at a special park, with a lot of other great coasters, rides, and attractions, not to mention the fantastic animals!

Do we know if Gwazi is actually a real fable or did Busch Gardens just make it up? I tried Googling it and every single result brings back the coaster. If Busch did make it up, they're making their own rules here.

Do we know if Gwazi is actually a real fable or did Busch Gardens just make it up? I tried Googling it and every single result brings back the coaster. If Busch did make it up, they're making their own rules here.

That's a twist...

Yeah, so there's really no reason to ever look 6 pages into a google search, but if you search the word "gwazi," every single result on the first 6 pages (I'm not looking any further) uses the word in reference to the roller coaster. Absolutely nothing about African folklore.

Something even more fun to try, type "gwazi" into google translate. Translate the word from Swahili to English. According to google, it translates to "gum." That explains the purple track...

Iron Gwazi looks fantastic, haters complaining about the name are dumb, and I can't wait to get back to BGT to ride this beast (and take the kids, this time!).

Asking the question since it seems to have been glossed over... the new waterslide? Solar Vortex? What exactly is a "dual tailspin" waterslide? Anyone know? Even the official site doesn't seem to have much info.