Coney Island Cincinnati closing all amusement rides

The waterpark will remain open
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Coney Island Cincinnati closing all amusement rides

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:50 pm

Coney Island removing all rides at the end of the season
The park intends to focus on 'enhanced water park experience'
Image Source: Cincinnati convention and visitors bureau

CINCINNATI — Coney Island has announced it will remove all amusement park rides at the end of September.

According to a press release, the park intends to instead focus on the Sunlite Pool and other water-related recreational amenities.

"All of our consumer research, all of our consumer feedback, and all of our in-park data shows that the vast majority of our guests come to Coney Island because of the fun they have while in the Sunlite Pool area," said Rob Schutter, Jr., president and CEO of Coney Island, in a press release.

The press release said over the past few years, Coney Island has split focus and resources between the rides and the Sunlite Water Adventure area, but have decided to switch gears to focus on exclusively on the water park area moving forward.

The park said it also plans to create additional spaces for popular events like the Appalachian Festival and Summerfair Cincinnati, to provide event spaces for other community festivals and events in the future.

Earlier this year, Coney Island also announced it's annual Fall-O-Ween event would not return in 2019 .

The final day guests will be able to enjoy the rides at Coney Island is Sept. 21.

Source: WCPO Cincinnati
Last edited by coasterbill on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:50 pm.

Re: Coney Island Cincinnati closing all amusement rides

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:06 pm

We visited this park a few years ago and had nothing but good things to say about it. It was a cute little place. This is a shame.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:10 pm

I agree. While the park had no notable coasters, it had some nice flats and was very well landscaped.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:10 pm

It was a great place to take your little kids if they couldn't go on the bigger rides at Kings Island. The real attraction for the locals is the water park, Riverbend music center, and events held there like company outings.
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:39 pm

coasterbill wrote:We visited this park a few years ago and had nothing but good things to say about it. It was a cute little place. This is a shame.

It was a nice little park but I 100% understand their decision. Most of the rides they had were probably decades old, not getting any newer, and probably needing more and more new parts and maintenance every year. There comes a time where you have to decide "are we all in on 'old rides' or are we buying new replacements, or shifting the focus someplace else?"

I'm sure they had some sort of metric that showed "people are mostly here for the water park" and with the cost of new slides versus rides, and knowing what the focus their guests in on, this probably makes a lot of sense.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:46 pm

I agree it makes sense. In my visit last year, the parking lot was full. All the dry rides were walk ons but the (small) water park was packed.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:55 pm

Pepsi park...

=)

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:45 pm

{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Postby Philrad71 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:50 pm

^LOL!

Prince Desmond to the rescue!!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:14 pm

Oh wow, and that petition. "The idea of it being a wet park only is astonishing."

WET PARK?

Like, this person actually believes that somewhere a real person who exists has said, "Kids, get in the van. We're going to the wet park!"

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!