TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^

What? He's serious! You can clearly see that this coaster will have so many trims that it needs booster wheels to complete the course! They can't be serious! First that ridiculous high break run, then it's too short and now this evidence of typical "new B&M forcelessness"! It's nothing like the rendering. They should have gone with Intamin anyway. And go 400 feet with a vertical drop directly. But nooo, a cookie cutter giga like aaaaaaalllll the others. Nothing innovative. And these colours! They just amplify the forcelessness. I'll never visit KI again until they built something really impressive. They need a poler coaster. Or an Aquatrax, since CP obviously doesn't want to built those two.

Did I miss any typical enthusiast complaints?

Looks forceless.

I watched the POV and can confirm it will be forceless. I rank it below Fury, I305, Millennium Force, and Leviathan which I have not ridden yet but know it is my 4th favorite due to the POV.

Did I miss any typical enthusiast complaints?

The B&M rattle on Orion is terrible. It's so rough I had a headache for two weeks. And it has terrible capacity. One and done.

Looks forceless.

I watched the POV and can confirm it will be forceless. I rank it below Fury, I305, Millennium Force, and Leviathan which I have not ridden yet but know it is my 4th favorite due to the POV.

Having finally ridden Leviathan over the weekend, my thought after that, was that it was still a mind-blowingly amazing coaster, in spite of often being regarded as the "worst Giga", and that Orion has some great elements that should make it even better than Leviathan! So there's no reason for anybody be worried about Orion being awesome!

Looks forceless.

Having finally ridden Leviathan over the weekend, my thought after that, was that it was still a mind-blowingly amazing coaster, in spite of often being regarded as the "worst Giga", and that Orion has some great elements that should make it even better than Leviathan! So there's no reason for anybody be worried about Orion being awesome!

My thoughts exactly. Orion is KI's giga. It's not a record breaker, but it'll probably be the best ride at the park. If you want an even better ride, travel to Carowinds, and while you're there, enjoy the other amazing rides in their lineup!

^Yeah, I completely know that! I know Rawkin personally, so I know how she feels about it! I was just adding my commentary on the mocked "controversy", based on my recent Leviathan experience. Sarcasm may not always be the easiest thing to deduce online, but I wasn't exactly born yesterday, especially in regard to this hobby!

I've been on all four North American gigas. They're all kick-ass rides and they're all (in my mind) the best ride in their respective parks. Leviathan is probably the least awesome of all of them and I would prefer it to anything at Kings Island during the day.

Edited by coasterbill

Having just gotten on my last North American Giga myself last weekend, I agree with Bill that they're all kick a$$ rides, and among the best in their park. The only outlier for me personally is I-305, which I don't care much for. But it's still a massive coaster that kicks your a$$, for sure. I also prefer SV to MF, ever so slightly, and Behemoth is nearly as good as Leviathan too. But the bottom line is a Giga is going to be a great coaster, regardless, and I have no doubt Orion will be at worst, the second best coaster at KI, and likely will be the best! Leviathan is better than anything at KI (at least in the day) in my opinion, and I'm pretty sure I'll like Orion even more, making is a Top 10 coaster for me!

Oh yeah, if you're a big fan of MF still, after all these years, you should definitely love the B&M Gigas as well! People give B&M crap over being forceless these days (I don't agree, FWIW), but the Gigas absolutely pack a punch still! There's room for both Fury and MF in my Top 5, and Leviathan jumped right into my Top 10 as well!

I kind of understand the whole "forceless" argument, but mostly in respect to the inverting coasters. I think around 99, when they first made hypers they started making overall less intense rides, which progressed into rides like Silver Bullet, Patriot, Hydra, Gatekeeper etc. But I remember people calling MF "Millennium Forceless" so I think to a certain extent it's just cool to hate on some rides *shrug*

Regardless I'll be looking forward to riding it and than I'll make my judgment call

I think with Leviathan, Banshee, and especially Fury, B&M shows that it still has what it takes to make kick ass rides. I'd bet my next paycheck that Orion is going to be one of those coasters where people get more out of it than they expect. This is B&M's giga and I'm sure they're getting into their 300 foot groove.

Some people might question Banshee's intensity, but I think it's there. It's hard to compare it to other inverts since it kind of rides like a swooping hyper rather than the old school quick transitions that people are accustom to. It's a speed demon.

^ Agreed. I think Banshee is plenty intense, just in a different way than the old inverts. You are absolutely hauling ass at the bottoms of the elements, especially the turnaround pretzel thing. It doesn't have the rapidfire succession of elements like a batman, but the sustained g's on the lower portions and speed through the first part of the ride are incredible.

Some people might question Banshee's intensity, but I think it's there. It's hard to compare it to other inverts since it kind of rides like a swooping hyper rather than the old school quick transitions that people are accustom to. It's a speed demon.

Banshee is plenty intense, but for me, not in the way I like my inverts. It also ranks as one of my least favorite B&M inverts (my favorite style).

It's got a great first drop and some pretty intense G's, but the elements are just so BORING. The transitions especially have no 'snap' to them, awkwardly shaped (you seriously 'wiggle' side to side entering those dive loops... That's just weird to me) and that completely kills how awesome that same layout could have been... Done say, 10 years prior or something.

I still like the ride, but in my mind, such a waste of a killer layout by designing the elements so terribly.

^I think all of that is too harsh on Banshee. While I do prefer more "snappy" intense inverts like Alpengeist, Montu, and Afterburn, Banshee has its own charm. Riding it just feels big, and open, and swooping, and as long as you ride toward the front, it's very rerideable because you won't get the same headache/stomachache you'd get say marathonning Afterburn.

I think that's why many people prefer coasters such as the gigas (besides I305) to more intense coasters like the RMCs. I rode Fury for over an hour without leaving the station but do the same thing on Steel Vengeance (which they won't let you anyway) and you'll be hurting somewhere.

All in all, it would be great to have a thigh-crushing airtime machine at KI and maybe someday they will, but I believe Orion will still end up being the best ride at the park and a very rerideable coaster.

The transitions especially have no 'snap' to them

I think this is true of most B&M coasters made since around the time they started manufacturing wing coasters, dive coasters became more popularized and they introduced those staggered "wing" trains on their hypers than gigas. That timing would make sense as well because those types of rides require smoother elements and transitions by design. I'm guessing they decided to use the same type of "smoothness" for all of their designs, since they've mainly only built those types of rides since than any way. Plus they made their first family inverted model the same year as Banshee, so I'm assuming the full size models are going to be more aligned with the smoothness and flow of all those types of coasters.