TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Yeah I didn’t pay close attention this morning so I was excited to see a water coaster finally in the Atlanta area, but no. It’ll still be a good slide. Maybe Hurricane Harbor will get one eventually!

Hurricane Harbor was supposed to have already gotten 2 additions last year. They do still have plans to expand it beyond Superman. However, I'm not sure when it will happen.

Batman will remove your head if you enter his premises without permission.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

The addition to White Water sounds exciting. I did make an interesting observation: the "python" in the logo of Python Plunge is IDENTICAL to the "viper" in the new Vipere ride going to La Ronde! That is vintage Six Flags right there...they are masters of recycling and reusing everything, from old ride buildings and fixtures, all the way down to logos!

I wonder if 'Swamp Water Jack' will return as well? I loved that dude! Anyone else remember him??

--While I have mixed feelings about our two upcoming attractions, I am happy we are not getting a 4D Free-Spin. Someone asked if the scrambler is the one they used for Shake'm (Shake, Rattle & Roll's nickname for employees). My guess is yes, especially considering the fact that I saw a couple of boats from Splash Waterfalls in the 'boneyard' during my last visit. I believe one of Free Fall's cars is back there too. I'm assuming that they tried to sell it and couldn't, so they made the best out of the situation and gave us 2 'new' rides instead of one. It would be nice if they enclosed it again and gave us a 'green' theme to go with it, but thats asking for too much from Six Flags.

This upgraded version of The Wheelie sounds like fun though. I wasn't a big fan of The Wheelie but it was a classic and I'm sure it's going to be loved by those that rode 'the original'. I can't wait to give it a spin (no pun intended).

With that being said... I feel some type of way about the Axis Arena going away. Although they haven't used it as intended for atleast a decade, I did enjoy the Fright Fest use of it. It's going to be a little sad for me not to walk through it this year but it is what it is.

NOW.. If Six Flags really want's to impress us, I say they should bring Batman back to its former glory. I'm talking opening day! The chasing lights in the floor as the train is being dispatched, the 'dispatch tune' that used to play as the floor dropped, the mist spraying from the sides as the train is being advanced back into the station, the police car returning, and fixing the spinning fan with the lights behind it in the queue. These things made our Batman stand out from the rest of the clones. I'm sure it wont happen but it would be a a nice 'surprise' along with the Gotham City additions.

Can this please be a refurbishment of Mindbender so that it can go back to regularly running two trains again? Please ?

It was running two trains today. Basically a walk on too

Surprised to discover on ride photos on it too

yeah, got pics on Goliath, Twisted Cyclone, and Mindbender.

didn't notice cameras on anything else.

was a very slow day for a National Holiday - I guess fear of it being packed kept a lot of folks away, or the heat, kept the crowd in the waterpark section.

the Platinum Flashpass was $100, so I decided to skip getting it, and it worked out fine for me.

the only two things with sizable lines that I saw were Scorcher (the new paint really does look amazing), and the Log Flume - both of which I skipped due to the lines (and having been on them both before).

one thing to point out to folks not aware: both Twisted Cyclone and Goliath have single rider lines in the station. Yes, you have to wait in the general boarding line, but the moment you get in the station, look for the single rider sign (before the front row queues). . . i got place back row & Mid train on TC, and pretty much a station wait for Goliath front row after a really short line anyways.

heck, the crowd was so light, I even rode DareDevil Dive, a coaster I didn't care for when I first rode it last year. I think I waited MAYBE 12 minutes? and went for front row. Being able to see the transitions and be ready for them? I liked the coaster way more than i had in my prior visit.

my main goal was hitting what I had missed on the prior visit due to them being down: the Train, Joker Funhouse Coaster (a fun rollerskater layout), and Acrophobia (x3.. . loved this. . . even if the tilt was much less than I had expected and think I prefer Falcon's Fury for this style of Drop Tower. But very good).

Pandemonium had a shortish line, that would have moved faster if it hadn't gone down twice while I was in line - both times because people were pulling down on the restraints. The main Ride Op even started announcing "Do NOT pull down the restraint! you will break the ride, and we'll have to wait to get it running again!"

great day at the park yesterday overall, and glad I made the decision to blow off the Monday of Dragon*con to go to SFOG

Edited by bert425

^ The Log Flume also has an on-ride photo. Superman had one at the bottom of the pretzel loop but they removed it - probably because they weren’t selling many photos. Batman also had one for like one year, maybe two.

During my Ride-Op days I was convinced that alot of guests leave their brains in the parking lot. No matter how many times they repeat ‘Do not pull down’ or ‘Do not sit or stand on the handrails’ those words go in one ear and come right out of the other one. And then they are usually the main ones to complain about the long lines. Smh

I wonder if 'Swamp Water Jack' will return as well? I loved that dude! Anyone else remember him??

With that being said... I feel some type of way about the Axis Arena going away. Although they haven't used it as intended for atleast a decade, I did enjoy the Fright Fest use of it. It's going to be a little sad for me not to walk through it this year but it is what it is.

I remember Swampwater Jack and that very elaborate queue for the Viper. The entrance to that ride was more entertaining than the coaster itself lol. And after riding and re-riding Viper over and over, (it was a people-eater and almost always a walk-on), his voice got stuck in my head on many occasions!

I believe Axis Arena will be utilized for this year's Fright Fest before it comes down, so you have one more chance to walk through this once grand venue of Gotham.

Agreed, Monday was a great day at the park for short ride lines. Dining locations were another story though. It was nice to see Thunder River still open. This time last year it was already closed for the season so they could convert the queue to a haunt. Lots of Fright Fest props installed already; overheard park management as they walked by discussing plans for Fright Fest i.e., where to put certain elements, etc.

Looking forward to a couple more pre-Fright Fest visits. It looks like Sponsor Day has been moved to Saturday November 23rd, so there will not be a Saturday in September when the park is mysteriously closed to the public.

^ what is that Alien Abduction thing over by Goliath?

they were building it during my prior visit to the park (with TPR), and tho it looks like a Haunt, it seemed a bit too permanent? concrete queue line.

i called the # Stenciled on the door, but it didn't seem like a real # anymore . . seemed to go to some company.

so just wondering if this is a usual attraction that just wasn't open?

IMG_8919.thumb.jpg.94f53912e64f613d4a7e59e0ed413d09.jpg

and by the way, here was the Goliath queue on Monday early afternoon.

yep. . barely even on the steps! and when I went to the single rider queue upon getting to station? Immediately put into the empty front row seat left by a flash-pass group of 3

so basically a walk on for me.

IMG_8921.thumb.jpg.96990da31a0386840f3e680f6c37ad35.jpg

that number on the door didn't seem to be a working # when I called it.

IMG_8922.thumb.jpg.03c516e2866bea3e008166cd0c235c17.jpg

This thing. . looks like a pretty permanent queue/structure.

6e238af24b2b48f0a8fda3e5665adfac-1.thumb.jpg.5ea5bf3254fdc3fe0ebad356a5c6b3d8.jpg

Agreed, Monday was a great day at the park for short ride lines. Dining locations were another story though.

yeah. . I noticed that.

luckily I knew I was eating with friends later that night, so didn't have to purchase any food (paid WAY too much for steak & oyster dinner at SEAR in the Marriott Marquis -- but that's also a Dragon*con tradition for us: big, expensive meal with whatever friends hang around until Tuesday).

but multiple dining options - even the Ice Cream stand! - had lines out the door.

I tried to get water at a couple of restaurants (after not seeing any waterfountains (anywhere!)), and luckily folks let me jump in front of them just to ask for a cup. but was told "we don't do that"

so ended up buying bottles at Goliath gift shop (at 2/$10 it's a way better deal than at Fiesta Texas, where it's now 2/$14. . but I don't ever buy anymore, since the cups of water are free)

^ Bert, I missed you by a day! Glad you had a good time at the park, and I'm super jealous crowds were light that day- Sunday was SLAMMED. We're talking hour+ waits for pretty much everything. Sheesh.

agreed, too bad we missed (tho Sunday at con, no way was I blowing it off).

you shoulda come back on Mon. . lines were pretty much non-existent

As a fellow Texan, what did you think of Goliath? Kinda rules over our two Goliaths wouldn't you say? I absolutely think so. It's my fav in the chain for sure and maybe top 5 ever.

oh, for what it is? I love it (our Goliath at SFFT is just a Batman Clone.. a good one, but a Batman), and Titan at SFOT has been neutered to the point that it just meanders (to me).

but for a hyper? it's really good.

if I had a choice between Iron Rattler or Golitath at SFOG, I'd go for Iron Rattler.. but within the park? it's the 2nd best coaster (only slightly behind Twisted Cyclone, and slightly ahead of Mindbender & Batman (which SFOG runs INTENSE).

^ what is that Alien Abduction thing over by Goliath?

they were building it during my prior visit to the park (with TPR), and tho it looks like a Haunt, it seemed a bit too permanent? concrete queue line.

i called the # Stenciled on the door, but it didn't seem like a real # anymore . . seemed to go to some company.

so just wondering if this is a usual attraction that just wasn't open?

Alien Abduction is a permanent haunt building which operates during Fright Fest but sits dormant the remainder of the year, similar to the Fearman's Manor building near Dare Devil Dive. From what I heard from a manager, SFoG was granted some capital from corporate last year in response to the crowded conditions during prior Fright Fests so they decided to add capacity with a new haunt building. I have never tried calling that phone# - kind of surprised they used a 'real' number. They could do what SFFT does with their teaser phone number which is a real recorded message.

At any rate, we know what one of the 2019 haunts will be. ZX-1 will be there as well, for what will likely be the last year in Axis Arena.

Hey everyone..Long time watcher. Finally registered and looking forward to joining the discussion. I am planning on going to Six Flags Over Georgia on Sunday Sept 29th. Does anyone have a gauge on how lines might be that day, or just sundays in September in general?

Dombot noted just above that this past Sunday was slammed.

(was dead when I was there on Monday, but they were only open due to the holiday on that Monday).

so if you're going, expect to need Flash Pass (and expect to pay over $100 for the platinum version. .it's worth it if the park is busy)

Sunday crowds are typically very light. If you are there before the gates open, you can knock out all the coasters in a couple hours with no lines. Might start getting busy around 1 or 2 but it's also likely to stay dead. Do Twisted Cyclone first. Hit Daredevil. Sit on Goliath for a couple laps since no one will be in line waiting. I usually wait for row 1, then sit on whatever is open when we get back to the station. Knock out Superman, Scream Machine, Blue Hawk. Then get Batman and Mindbender. Kiddie coaster and mine train will round it out. Acrophobia is pretty good.

Do Monster Mansion. Good dark ride.

Sunday crowds are typically very light. If you are there before the gates open, you can knock out all the coasters in a couple hours with no lines. Might start getting busy around 1 or 2 but it's also likely to stay dead. Do Twisted Cyclone first. Hit Daredevil. Sit on Goliath for a couple laps since no one will be in line waiting. I usually wait for row 1, then sit on whatever is open when we get back to the station. Knock out Superman, Scream Machine, Blue Hawk. Then get Batman and Mindbender. Kiddie coaster and mine train will round it out. Acrophobia is pretty good.

Do Monster Mansion. Good dark ride.

Thanks for the information. I haven't been here in a few years and don't want to spend the extra money on flash pass if it isn't needed. With that said, I am looking forward to riding Pandomonium and Twisted Cyclone as I haven't ridden either of those. After riding Lightning Rod at Dollywood this summer I cant wait to try another RMC!

They typically open the park 30 minutes before posted time. They usually have Twisted Cyclone going at that time. YOu can normally get a few in before posted opening time and the rope drop. Then hit Scorcher first on your way to DDD. Both of those can get a line because they are slow dispatches.

Be early and you'll have no problems getting in plenty of rides. I think I've ridden TC 20 times this year. All but one of those were during this early 30 minute period on various visits.

Single rider line works great on Goliath. At the top of the stairs just go all the way to the front and there's a spot to stand. If it's dead, they rarely make you walk around on any of their rides, so just keep riding or move seats if someone is waiting.

Edited by tndank

The train derailed today near the entrance to Log Jamboree. The fake coal car is partially off the tracks (and now covered with a tarp) while the locomotive (possibly the General) is on its side. Due to it being easily viewable from the ride entrance, LJ also closed. Scorcher also went down temporarily, but I believe that it was unrelated as it happened when I first passed by (and there was nobody on the seemingly unharmed passenger cars any more). Goliath provided a clear view of the train, but only from the ride itself (and only on the left seats). It's also possible to look through a gap in the fence next to Goliath Photos, but it's worse than vertical videos.