TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Wow!! I was NOT expecting SFDK to get another coaster this year! A very pleasant surprise.

This addition is perfect for the park! I think all of us can agree the park (known for being more of a family park) has been desperately in need of a mid-sized family coaster and I think this will fit in perfectly! A lot of people were upset about Pandemonium leaving because it was very popular among families, so they'll be finally getting their spinning coaster back.

Also, I love the idea of the snakes in the queue! I wonder if the snake exhibit they already have will just be relocated, or if they're getting more snakes? Maybe this is a small test of whether pairing rides with animal exhibits goes over well at the park. I could see them getting a mini aquarium paired with a ride similar to what's at Manta at SWO, but that's me getting ahead of myself.

Whoever mentioned seeing a "rattlesnake crossing" sign, where exactly was it located? If it's where the elephants were, that area of the park is pretty dead and is in desperate need of something new. If it's where the current snake exhibit is over behind Tava's, then that's pretty close to the lake and would have awesome lake views. Both areas would be great for having a family coaster as the front areas of the park are already pretty coaster/ride dense but then you have Tava's kinda on it's own (I pretend the blue coaster near there doesn't exist ).

We know it's a clone of Ragin' Cajun at Six Flags America. The footprint is fairly large (approx. 50% larger than the Butterfly Habitat).

They could tear out Kong, but the space is about 4x too big. I suppose the animal exibit portion of the ride/queue could take up the remaining 75% of the space, but that is not likely. I think we are stuck with Kong for now.

I briefly thought that they could shoehorn it in where Voodoo is, but after looking at a map, it would take some major infrastructure work to fill in the water behind Voodoo. ALso, the Sky Coaster is on the other side and I doubt there is enough clearance for both the swing and a 50-foot coaster. That said, how cool would it be to swing over the top of Sidewinder Safari?

There is enough land for it to go outside the berm, just south of the giraffes. I think that's near where the "Snake Warning" sign was.

There is plenty of room inside the (now defunct) elephant area. They would have to remove the Toyota Off-Road Experience, but that is a limited attraction anyway (runs twice a month).

Also, they could probably shoehorn it in where Tazmanian Devil is. The footprints are almost identical, and Taz hasn't been running for months (maybe over a year).

My location predictions (from most to least likely):

1. Inside the elephant area

2. Next to the giraffes

3. In place of Tazmanian Devil

We know it's a clone of Ragin' Cajun at Six Flags America. The footprint is fairly large (approx. 50% larger than the Butterfly Habitat).

They could tear out Kong, but the space is about 4x too big. I suppose the animal exibit portion of the ride/queue could take up the remaining 75% of the space, but that is not likely. I think we are stuck with Kong for now.

I briefly thought that they could shoehorn it in where Voodoo is, but after looking at a map, it would take some major infrastructure work to fill in the water behind Voodoo. ALso, the Sky Coaster is on the other side and I doubt there is enough clearance for both the swing and a 50-foot coaster. That said, how cool would it be to swing over the top of Sidewinder Safari?

There is enough land for it to go outside the berm, just south of the giraffes. I think that's near where the "Snake Warning" sign was.

There is plenty of room inside the (now defunct) elephant area. They would have to remove the Toyota Off-Road Experience, but that is a limited attraction anyway (runs twice a month).

Also, they could probably shoehorn it in where Tazmanian Devil is. The footprints are almost identical, and Taz hasn't been running for months (maybe over a year).

My location predictions (from most to least likely):

1. Inside the elephant area

2. Next to the giraffes

3. In place of Tazmanian Devil

Putting the new coaster in place of Tazmanian Devil makes a lot of sense to me. That side of the park needs more coasters and Taz has been essentially replaced by Wonder Woman.

I have been operating under the assumption it's going where the Elephants were. That's where the "Snake Warning" sign was, and there is plenty of room for this coaster there. Also, the integrated snake queue will fit in better there, where the other animals are, then in the ride section of the park.

I'm almost positive it's going where the elephants were. I was at the park on Sunday and there was a sign over there talking about Captain Lee's excursion and had August 29 date on it.

Speaking of being at the park Sunday, Monsoon Falls was already drained. Do they always drain it this early?

Putting the new coaster where the elephants were (and the off-road thing too if necessary) makes the most sense to me. I didn't know Taz has been down all year but I still think the park would rather put something new where there is currently nothing substantial rather than somewhere where they have to remove a ride.

I did notice it looked like there were Fright Fest mazes in the former elephants area, so I guess those would have to move. Has anyone done those mazes? They're new since the last time I went to Fright Fest.

Speaking of being at the park Sunday, Monsoon Falls was already drained. Do they always drain it this early?

It was drained when I visited in early August, which is definitely pretty early in the season to drain it. Maybe there's something wrong with it, or it's not worth the cost of running it when Whitewater Safari tends to be more popular anyway?

The elephant location makes the most sense. I didn't realize that's where the snake warning sign was. (I thought it was over by the giraffes. I haven't been to the park in a few weeks.) Hopefully they can keep most of the trees and integrate the ride/queue/animal exhibit with them. I'm guessing that they will relocate the current reptile building (and its residents) to the queue of the new ride. Maybe add a few more animals. I really, REALLY hope they get a komoto dragon or two.

I'm not sure if it's just because my home park isn't getting anything next year... but I'm actually really excited for this addition. A spinning wild mouse above a reptile enclosure sounds like a blast.

I also find it funny that other parks - like Fiesta Texas - ran major teaser campaigns for flat rides, while this is the second year in a row that SFDK has added a coaster with almost no teasing. In fact, I don't recall seeing ANY teasers for Batman last year.

Well I finally visited this park and I have a few thoughts, take them as you wish. I did purchase the gold flash pass (amazing idea) and got to ride everything multiple times! The ride section of the park was pretty darn good, a lot of variety and let’s be honest the Joker is an amazing ride! I’ve been on twisted colossus and steel vengeance and thought it was not as good as those but still an amazing ride!! I could ride it over and over and not ever get bored.

The other amazing ride was Wonder Woman but that was also my first giant frisbee and has me extremely excited for Crazanity!

Also loved Superman even though I had ridden electric eel at SWSD I thought this one was better. Maybe the station being fully enclosed and no comfort collars made it better not sure but loved it.

Batman was my first freefly and was kind of disappointed with it to be honest, maybe I just got bad rides but I was one of those who actually liked green lantern and thought that was more intense and more fun. Overall I give it a 3/5.

Kong was as expected a very rough and painful experience. It did have some good moments but I was in so much pain I don’t really remember where or when they were. I’m sure we’ve all heard this before. The good news is, this ride is on a nice plot of land that they can tear this crappy unpopular ride down and put a new coaster in (praying for a new customs single rail) 2/5

Medusa was was actually better than I thought it would be. I could tell it was built in the old six flags days when theming kind of mattered, the queue and station house were legit, reminded me of Goliath. I really hope six flags gets back to that point because it really does bring an extra something to a ride. 3/5

Now here’s my gripe with the park, and I’m sure this has been said a million times. The animal section is horrible. Now before I get into that let me preface it by saying I’m from San Diego and we have the best zoo quite arguably in the world and Seaworld. I literally felt bad for all of the animals there, it was the first time I’ve ever felt that way. The shows, the exhibits were just sad. My question is why is six flags continuing with this?? The answer in my head is they have special zoning laws where they can only build tall rides near the front of the park and hence if they get rid of all the animals 75% of the land is useless for a them park.

Overall, I did have a really good time at the park. They have tons of rides and most of them pack a good punch in one way or another. I just did not like the animal section at all and I’m sure others feel the same. If not let me know!!!

Superman is great for sure, The Joker is a solid coaster as is medusa. I agree completely on the animal sections of the park they need to redo it all phase out animal attractions slowly because a bunch of them are next to useless and the animals don't appear to be happy in many of them.

I went today just got back its like idk the 5th time for me there this year probably? the usual issues I have with the park joker was up and down all morning and medusa was single training in the morning but fortunately by afternoon they had two trains back on and Joker sorted its issues out and was solid the rest of the day running two trains. Harley Quinn CC tested and actually opened for once albeit just running one train (i mean the 2nd is always there but they never loaded it) man that thing is noisy and rough i rode it just to see how it was and i think it might actually be worse than Kong and that is saying something!

on the new Zamperla spinning coaster it looks for sure to be slated to go where the old elephant area is that was converted into a once or twice a month toyota off road buy our trucks attraction so for sure a good thing to add at an end of the park that draws nobody at all anymore because its rundown and mostly just a few random flat rides some working, some not and animal cages.

I also find it funny that other parks - like Fiesta Texas - ran major teaser campaigns for flat rides, while this is the second year in a row that SFDK has added a coaster with almost no teasing. In fact, I don't recall seeing ANY teasers for Batman last year.

Honestly, I can't think of any legitimate teaser campaign the park has done. I think there might have been a few teasers or hints prior to Superman and Joker, but nothing on the level of what some of these other parks have done. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe they don't think their clientele would be interested?

Now here’s my gripe with the park, and I’m sure this has been said a million times. The animal section is horrible. Now before I get into that let me preface it by saying I’m from San Diego and we have the best zoo quite arguably in the world and Seaworld. I literally felt bad for all of the animals there, it was the first time I’ve ever felt that way. The shows, the exhibits were just sad. My question is why is six flags continuing with this?? The answer in my head is they have special zoning laws where they can only build tall rides near the front of the park and hence if they get rid of all the animals 75% of the land is useless for a them park.

Yes they do have zoning laws like that and yes, the height restriction towards the back of the park is pretty strict. But I don't think that's the only reason.

Most of those animals have been there for years. They're used to their environment as it is. Getting rid of them or performing major refurb would most likely be more damaging to them than leaving things as they are. Plus, I've heard some keepers before say that elaborate scenery is more for the guests than the animals anyway. And doing all of that most likely wouldn't bring new guests to SFDK.

Also, SFDK has always marketed itself with "wildlife, wild rides" type marketing campaigns, so I think they would lose a lot if they 100% switched to a rides-only park.

Not to mention all the behind the scenes tours and experiences the park offers. Just last visit I saw a group of about 10-12 people on one of the behind the scenes tours. At $45-50 a pop you can easily do the math and figure out how much they made in that 90 minutes.

I agree completely on the animal sections of the park they need to redo it all phase out animal attractions slowly because a bunch of them are next to useless and the animals don't appear to be happy in many of them.

Tell me about your years of experience with zoo care and animal behavior. I'd love to hear more about how useless the exhibits are and how you know the animals are unhappy.

Tell me about your years of experience with zoo care and animal behavior. I'd love to hear more about how useless the exhibits are and how you know the animals are unhappy.

Seriously. Everyone on the internet thinks they're an expert lol

^ Not just the Internet, I ran into someone at Silverwood who talked my ear off in line. Turns out he is an expert in nuclear engineering (the radiation from Fukushima will kill all the fish in the Pacific Ocean within 3 years) and roller coasters (steel coasters are less safe than wood coasters because they legally don't need to be inspected).

Honestly, I can't think of any legitimate teaser campaign the park has done. I think there might have been a few teasers or hints prior to Superman and Joker, but nothing on the level of what some of these other parks have done. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe they don't think their clientele would be interested?

Magic Mountain doesn't do much teasing either. Maybe it's a California thing. CraZanity came completely out of left field with zero hints. For WCR, the park posted there would be a major ride announcement, but offered no hints on what it was.

Does anyone know the Fright Fest mazes at SFDK? On their site it says NEW: Demons Lair and Scarecrows Hollow. Are these the only mazes or are there more. I bought the Fright Fest wristband and now wondering if it was even worth it. Also their page says Monday, October 8 is a non Fright Fest product (OCT 8 is Tuesday). So I’m wondering if this is even the right page because I can’t seem to find anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
How dead is this thread lol

Not to toot my own horn but this thread hasn't been the same since I moved out of the area. I visited the park pretty often and would make a point to post frequent updates and photo TRs. If you don't believe me, look back to 2015-summer 2016 for comparison. I've never understood why but other people just don't post photo TRs or updates about this park nearly as often as other parks even when there is construction and other things happening at SFDK.

EDIT: I realize Joker construction did help keep the conversation/interest flow during that time, but this was happening even before that.

As much as I love this site, sadly Ifeel like this whole site is slowly dying. I am probably wrong though.

I've been feeling that way too. Maybe there's just too many people moving over to Facebook feeling disinterested in online forums the more they surf on their phones rather than desktop/laptop computers.

I plan on taking a trip to Discovery Kingdom next Friday for the first time. The park is open from 5-10 for Fright Fest I'm assuming. What is a good game plan once I get into the park? Also, I bought the all season maze pass at Magic Mountain, will it work for Discovery Kingdom? Is there any good hotels that are kinda halfway between CGA and SFDK for $100 or less? Any tips are greatly appreciated!

I plan on taking a trip to Discovery Kingdom next Friday for the first time. The park is open from 5-10 for Fright Fest I'm assuming. What is a good game plan once I get into the park? Also, I bought the all season maze pass at Magic Mountain, will it work for Discovery Kingdom? Is there any good hotels that are kinda halfway between CGA and SFDK for $100 or less? Any tips are greatly appreciated!

I usually do the left-side coasters first (Joker, Superman, V2, Batman) but so do most other guests. The lines will clear out more when the mazes start and also closer to closing. However, the launch coasters and Joker tend to break down more and they don't always open with the park. When you walk up see what's testing and gauge it that way. Go to whatever is running. The park is smaller but maze lines can get a bit long so it might be tough to do everything in 5 hours. You could spring for the maze VIP if you really want to do them and that helps cut lines a bit for those.

I don't think the maze pass works at all SF parks, just the one you got it for, but I could be wrong. Check it out on your membership portal and see if it says.

I don't know any hotels but the area between SFDK and CGA (Vallejo and Oakland specifically and also parts of San Jose) isn't the best and you might want to think twice before jumping onto the first cheap hotel you find. Have you ever tried Air Bnb? You might be able to find some cheaper places that are better. But again, just be careful about the neighborhoods you book.

Have fun! Take some pictures and let us know how it goes!

I've never stayed here, but Dublin seems to be your best bet based on the location you're looking for since there are a bunch of hotels there and it's kind of between the parks. This place seems to fit the bill and the area looks fine on Street View. It's a Holiday Inn, it'll be perfectly acceptable.

Don't overthink it.

Edited by coasterbill