TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Another odd question.

What is the best way to get the Flyer to stop snapping once you get it going? Is it to point the sail in one direction? Since I noticed the op was slowing it down on most cycles when someone got wild, I didn't want to go full tilt for the entire ride.

I quickly learned letting go of the sail still caused those things to snap on their own once they got going.

Mini trip report!!

Took a wonderful day trip up to knoebels with my mom, sister, and grandmother on a beautiful saturday in august with temperatures in the low 80s and no humidity. It was their first time there for all three. I visited fornthe first time last year with tpr. Arrived around 11:45 to 2 lanes of inbound traffic, which was expected with this wonderful weather. The park does a wonderdul job with their traffic. Really impressed with that!

Walked around for the first hour or so and then stopped and got lunch at the international food court. Ordered a meatball sub, garlic toast, and a large soda all for $11 dollars. I love it. The food was amazing. Highly recommend the meatball sub. Side note: a security guard saw us looking at the map, confused on where to go, and approached us asking if we needed help. You dont usually see that at six flags or even some cedar fair parks. Staff is so amazing there!

Didnt do any of the coasters but did take a nice relaxing ride on both trains and the scrnic skyway. Watched Group Du Jour at the band shell, really good group that played some good songs. Enjoyed some very good ice cream.

Played fascinations with my mom and sister. Both their first times playing and my mom won on the second game we played. (Beginners luck.) Also did the coal mine museum and knoebels history. Really cool seeing the history of the park with photos and a timeline.

All in all, it was a wonderful and perfect day at the park.

20190810_115255.thumb.jpg.fa14bb5a09b860bba948dc373c6d4934.jpg

Parking was over half full by the time i arrived.

20190810_115304.thumb.jpg.38fde815f29177d387f393e107d0414f.jpg

Have to admit, knoebels does a hell of a job with their traffic. Kudos to them.

20190810_121842.thumb.jpg.f997e890039ea4f4e10125703eb05cdc.jpg

Impulse is such a fun ride!

20190810_121900.thumb.jpg.2f74eeb3c3005811467079b82474160b.jpg

Love the loop!

20190810_123134.thumb.jpg.ad334dba845533d20cc916111a9f087f.jpg

I do argee, best carousel there is!

20190810_123628.thumb.jpg.adec5461dd280285f933b51241196414.jpg

Love when parks display their Golden Ticket Awards!

20190810_141105.thumb.jpg.2cb06d875a60d73d7d307482fefa280f.jpg

Love the dedication from the knoebels team!

20190810_193510.thumb.jpg.376c01f39ab72b47ae65d3e728bdd94b.jpg

Park has very nice landscaping throughout!

20190810_205132.thumb.jpg.6088f11a2f98924edfaef4c984856286.jpg

Parks are always better at night!

20190810_210512.thumb.jpg.88d8eab443684c066530afc6e44b90f9.jpg

Reminds me of a candy cane!

Side note: a security guard saw us looking at the map, confused on where to go, and approached us asking if we needed help. You dont usually see that at six flags or even some cedar fair parks. Staff is so amazing there!

I wonder if that has a lot to do with the park treating their employees well. People love Knoebels because the employees treat the guests well. The employees enjoy their jobs, and in turn the guests, because Knoebels treats them well? Seems likely to me.

I'm glad you had a good visit. Thanks for sharing.

Side note: a security guard saw us looking at the map, confused on where to go, and approached us asking if we needed help. You dont usually see that at six flags or even some cedar fair parks. Staff is so amazing there!

I wonder if that has a lot to do with the park treating their employees well. People love Knoebels because the employees treat the guests well. The employees enjoy their jobs, and in turn the guests, because Knoebels treats them well? Seems likely to me.

I'm glad you had a good visit. Thanks for sharing.

Definitely is. My sister was talking to a worker who said she drives an hour and a half for work because she loves it. Food lines were busy, but not one employee had an attitude. Staff was incredible.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Knoebels this past week, for the first time! This was a really special trip because ever since I've became an enthusiast I've always heard about this place, and never thought I'd make it there for a long time. I'm so glad I went as it's easily the best park I've visited outside my home park (yay for Silverwood!).

Phoenix was AMAZING!!!!! I don't think I need to say anything other than it truly deserves the Golden Ticket (or at least to be in the running).

Another person in my group liked Twister, didn't ride cause I had just eaten a Tiger Tail .

Did Flying Turns first thing, and what a unique ride. (Hey Silverwood! Can we get one of these if your not gonna spend the money on that RMC )

Ran out of time for Impulse, since we only had part of a day there

I Also would like to nominate Knoebels for having the best: Bumper Cars, Whip, Flyers, Food, Miniature Train (Ole Smokey was closed, but we rode the Pioneer Train), Merchandise, and overall sense of humor for a park!

Here's some pics to go with! I don't know why they are in the order they are in but oh well!

IMG_20190820_160722.thumb.jpg.a13df01d1530025e7c3b4fb8068d690c.jpg

This has got to be the coolest wooden caster sign out there

IMG_20190820_160727.thumb.jpg.272c18a05966c02ed8baef58e81eb82a.jpg

A little bit of history, from the coaster that should never have been torn down...

IMG_20190820_113606.thumb.jpg.ca31cefb4d6ac033567002a63def6ff0.jpg

BEST WOODEN COASTER EVER!!!!!!!

IMG_20190820_113606.thumb.jpg.ca31cefb4d6ac033567002a63def6ff0.jpg

BEST WOODEN COASTER EVER!!!!!!!

IMG_20190820_174616_1.thumb.jpg.c127375208499030246c6285e8b8c724.jpg

Nice lighting...Don't think I missed much here

IMG_20190820_160007.thumb.jpg.28c245604b85e1affb1f9d8cb272de39.jpg

why can't Silverwood have this!

IMG_20190820_122859.thumb.jpg.e9046326e7b4ccbcfcbf17854c037096.jpg

This is true.

IMG_20190820_114010.thumb.jpg.9a5c8c642f5fcb501a5745b37811dbe8.jpg

I wonder what the creative process was for this...

IMG_20190820_103558.thumb.jpg.1c017792b3c6189d98af074807a51757.jpg

This was SO MUCH FUN!! Another kid hit a branch with his, although I couldn't figure out how to snap it.

This is always a popular and welcomed topic. I know about the pizza & the perogies, TRPers tell me what else I must eat at Knoebels during my first ever visit?

It's not one of the big things that everyone will tell you that you have to have, but IMO the turkey sandwich at the Alamo is amazing. It's absolutely drenched in wonderful gravy ("sandwich" or not, you'll need a fork and knife to eat it) and it's just so, so good.

Gelati is also good.

Cheese on a stick is also very good.

The fancy grilled cheese sandwiches on corn bread from the place that serves the gelati, also very very good.

The fried chicken waffle sandwich with sour cream and spinach and maple syrup and all the stuff that sounds bizarre and horrible? It's beyond words, it's amazing. I swear, it really is. You need to trust Knoebels. Nonono, don't trust me, just trust Knoebels.

...I mean, really, it's Knoebels, close your eyes, spin in circles, open your eyes, whatever food you're looking at is going to be good. Honestly you can't go wrong.

If you don't mind a little walk or a very short drive, try Nickel Plate 1/4 mile away too, it's the restaurant at the golf course owned by the park and it's also <3 <3 <3

This is always a popular and welcomed topic. I know about the pizza & the perogies, TRPers tell me what else I must eat at Knoebels during my first ever visit?

Hasn't Bill already given you the rundown?

As someone who has eaten good pizza (Macks), don't expect Cesari's to be close to that level.

If you get there early before the park opens rides, get a French Toast meals at the International Food Court

At Totem Treats, I like the corn nuggets, my niece loves the fried pickles (not my thing). Cheese on a stick has not been the same for 3-4 years. Still good, but not exceptionally since they made changes.

Across from the Satelite ride pad is frozen sweet tea (if that sounds appealing)

Fresh grilled corn in the husk, opposite the log flume

Edited by larrygator

Hasn't Bill already given you the rundown?

As someone who has eaten good pizza (Macks), don't expect Cesari's to be close to that level.

If you get there early before the park opens rides, get a French Toast meals at the International Food Court

At Totem Treats, I like the corn nuggets, my niece loves the fried pickles (not my thing). Cheese on a stick has not been the same for 3-4 years. Still good, but not exceptionally since they made changes.

Across from the Satelite ride pad is frozen sweet tea (if that sounds appealing)

Fresh grilled corn in the husk, opposite the log flume

Yes of course he has, and we're going together. But I know TPR loves this park and just wanted other suggestions as well. I feel like I need a few days to eat all the good food at this park and quite frankly I might be more excited about the food than the ride offerings. lol

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, everything sounds incredibly good. Frozen sweet tea and fried pickles are definitely in my wheelhouse. I heard the pork chop on a stick is good (from a non-enthusiast friend who frequents the park).

I’d also recommend the supreme sweeties (international food court), the apple cider slush from the apple stand across from Sattelite, and the French fry stand next to Power Surge, which is much better than Potato Patch. Also the boom shakalaka burger (Phoenix junction) is great if you get it as a chicken sandwich.

I heard the pork chop on a stick is good (from a non-enthusiast friend who frequents the park).

I can confirm this. It's deceptively simple - a thick center cut chop, skewered, season with Lawry's Season Salt and grilled. But man, is it good. There's a deluxe option with apples (or there used to be, haven't been in a couple of years) that is also very good but unnecessary.

Cesari's gets a boost in taste being in Knoebels like a hot dog does at a ball park. Tastes like being there. The good pierogis taste like what it feels like being there.

I double fist the sour apple and apple cider slushes. Can't choose between them.

Definitely go with a pork chop on a stick, it's always delicious and tender.

If you're an ice cream guy, hit up the Old Mill for either a massive sundae or an ice cream sandwich made with Pop Tarts.

20190805_163944.thumb.jpg.ae755130d42dc7601ee11e4cb938f632.jpg

Bliss.

So, it's that time of year again, where I dream about going to Knoebels, due to their famous PPP event! However, it's been a couple years since I've given it serious thought, so refresh my memory... What is the deal with PPP again? I know that it's an event on Saturday the 5th that is open to everybody, but isn't there an enthusiast only part of the event as well? Perhaps on Friday the 4th? If somebody could catch me up to speed on the details of that, as I can't seem to find much online regarding the enthusiast aspect of the event. Thanks!

Also, if I don't go during PPP, but go on a different weekend this Fall, I see there are Day Passes on Saturdays then. However, it mentioned there are a "selection of rides open." Does anybody have any insight into what that usually means? I'm assuming the coasters will still all run, but I'd hate to miss any of the great flats, too! Thanks again, for any and all insight!

Another odd question.

What is the best way to get the Flyer to stop snapping once you get it going? Is it to point the sail in one direction? Since I noticed the op was slowing it down on most cycles when someone got wild, I didn't want to go full tilt for the entire ride.

I quickly learned letting go of the sail still caused those things to snap on their own once they got going.

Hold the sail away from the center as far as it goes. Should cause it to stop snapping pretty quick. I usually do this to keep the stricter ops from slowing it down.

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the food suggestions. We ate our way through the (very crowded) park yesterday trying everything from the pierogies to the potato cakes, pickles and pork chops on sticks, waffles ice cream sandwiches, and more. Everything was wonderful. Best pickles I ever had, no shit.

Oh and also- Phoenix is the real f**king deal, huh? Jesus.

AB7DEF16-0512-4801-98C6-35E71B6E0CAF.jpeg.a6fc536d48a2233bebe81075b6d59cb4.jpeg

• Like 1