TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Qiddiya (Saudi Arabia) Discussion Thread

I know enthusiasts love their "How will crowds be on xxxx date?" posts but I never thought I'd see one for a park that wasn't even fully conceptualized yet that probably won't open for half a decade (minimum).

I was thinking the same thing!

Oh...my...god! Is this a 12-year-old enthusiast's pipe dream RCT3 park or is this real life? If this works out as described I believe this can hands down be the best Six Flags park. I can't even believe it's going to be a Six Flags park!

I don't know how the economics of theme parks works but this is definitely not all on a Six Flags budget! I think the key here is the mention of the Qiddiya Investment Company's role. To me, this is like a theme park designer was approached and told, "Design a new theme park that can be built in the next year or two and gathers significant interest. You have unlimited money."

Yeah, I'm interested to see how much involvement Six Flags actually has. The verbiage makes it sound like they'll be involved but I wouldn't be that shocked if it turns out to be all but a straight licensing deal.

I mean, I did see a few job openings for Qiddiya on the Six Flags job board so there's got to be some involvement. But also...

I'm also very skeptical of this park ever opening.

This is a very valid point as well.

I'm excited about the potential for this coaster and the park as a whole, but I'll reserve my full excitement (as well as looking at travel plans to Saudi) until this thing is 90% complete.

That rendering was so unrealistic (seriously no banking on 99% of turns) it makes me think someone hacked the Six Flags website to post the entire announcement.

I was laughing so hard at that Falcon's Flight animation. Imagine hitting 200 mph only to hit an unbanked turn directly after.

Um, it's not 200mph.... You do know the difference between Kilometers per hour and Miles per hour right?

Or have we not gotten to that class in high school yet?

...oops, genuinely thought it said mph instead of mph. My bad, I didn’t even see that.

Do you really have to be rude about it though? So what if someone makes a mistake once in a while?

That rendering was so unrealistic (seriously no banking on 99% of turns) it makes me think someone hacked the Six Flags website to post the entire announcement.

I was laughing so hard at that Falcon's Flight animation. Imagine hitting 200 mph only to hit an unbanked turn directly after.

Um, it's not 200mph.... You do know the difference between Kilometers per hour and Miles per hour right?

Or have we not gotten to that class in high school yet?

...oops, genuinely thought it said mph instead of mph. My bad, I didn’t even see that.

Do you really have to be rude about it though? So what if someone makes a mistake once in a while?

You're picking apart an animation of a coaster that is a minimum of 3-4 years away from construction starting. I think your mistakes are fair game to pick off...

You're being just as rude as he was, and at least HE HAD A POINT because you obviously didn't pay attention to the video. Seriously why can't people just take personal responsibility for the stupid crap they post instead of turning around and being assholes about it while trying to deflect blame onto someone else?

My thoughts

Of course, a new park with an RMC (assuming that's what Colossus is ), a triple launcher, Tilt Coaster and the worlds fastest coaster is going to make enthusiasts jizz and drool.

However, there is no way a 78 acre outdoor park in the desert will survive on its own. I would like to hear what else QIC has planned in the way of a resort and additional attractions and associations with other theme park companies. Although I guess they could go with Six Flags alone and create multiple gates in the future such as Six Flags DC Universe, Six Flags Looney Tunes, Six Flags Murica (don't want to be associated with Six Flags America even 8 time zones away

This link shows that QIC has much more than 78 acres to work with overall

It is clear Six Flags will not own the park (possibly a minority partner), so again no upfront money from them. The will be in charge of planning, marketing, vendor negotiation and like areas that they have expertise over QIC and be paid fees for their services. And they probably have a cause that pays them a beaucoup of moolah if the project gets cancelled like UAE.

Absolutely insane. As with so many developments in the arab peninsula, there's going to be a lot of wait-and-see to know if this will become reality or not, but if it does it will be a must on every enthusiast's bucket list. I have mixed feelings about visiting Saudi Arabia, but this might end up being enticing enough to get me there.

The location is beautiful (in the photos at least). Reminds me a bit of southern Utah, but more desert-y...

This region of the world has certainly pulled off plenty of mega projects, even some that have seemingly had no rhyme or reason for existing. I hope this will be one of them.

Anyone have any experience traveling to Saudi Arabia?

If this opens, we'll put together a nice, safe trip to the UAE and Saudi Arabia so we can all go together! I feel like this will be a more strict Oman (which we've been to), and I might not like or agree with all of their rules/culture/law, but I'm willing to accept it for a day or two for that screwed up Tilt Coaster!

If this opens, we'll put together a nice, safe trip to the UAE and Saudi Arabia so we can all go together! I feel like this will be a more strict Oman (which we've been to), and I might not like or agree with all of their rules/culture/law, but I'm willing to accept it for a day or two for that screwed up Tilt Coaster!

I'm in!

^^Yes! That sounds absolutely awesome!

I can't help but think straight to the "big if" side of this, though. An announcement this far in advance is almost a set-up for failure.

On the off chance that this thing comes to fruition, though, I'm all for visiting Saudi Arabia!

If you want to understand who much money Saudi Arabia is throwing around besides Qiddiya, read up on any of their other mega projects. Particularly these 3 mega projects: Neom, Red Sea Project and Amaala

https://www.constructionweekonline.com/projects-tenders/169387-list-of-saudi-arabias-top-construction-projects-of-2019

^I find the Jeddah Tower project the most similar to this. They have never actually announced real statistics on the tower because they don't want another building to be able to overtake it right around opening. Seems kind of like what they're doing with Falcon's Fury.

^ I know barely any information has been released yet on the coasters, but I really want to know who the manufacturer is for that. Is it another one of those Golden Horse rides, or is Vekoma revisiting the Tilt Coaster concept?

^I find the Jeddah Tower project the most similar to this. They have never actually announced real statistics on the tower because they don't want another building to be able to overtake it right around opening. Seems kind of like what they're doing with Falcon's Fury.

And Jeddah Tower has been sitting 20%-built with no progress made since late 2017.

Falcon's Flight very much seems to be an Intamin Blitz coaster of sorts. Assuming the 32 km/hr second lift speed of Falcon's Flight is accurate, I made a quick vertical drop in NL2 with a 4 car Intamin Rocket Coaster train because the physics in the program is quite accurate, and I marked the point along the drop at which the train reached 250 km/hr in order to see what kind of a drop will produce such speeds.

That would mean that this monster's max height is somewhere around the 830 foot range.

The top view shot of the master plan didn't show the whole layout of the park nor did it have any obvious references that I could use to predict the scale of the plans, so I'm unable to make any predictions about its length.

If the Jeddah tower is having so much trouble getting finished, I have serious doubts that this will actually come to fruition as well. But holy crap do I want it to happen.

Falcon's Flight very much seems to be an Intamin Blitz coaster of sorts. Assuming the 32 km/hr second lift speed of Falcon's Flight is accurate, I made a quick vertical drop in NL2 with a 4 car Intamin Rocket Coaster train because the physics in the program is quite accurate, and I marked the point along the drop at which the train reached 250 km/hr in order to see what kind of a drop will produce such speeds.

That would mean that this monster's max height is somewhere around the 830 foot range.

...that doesn't even sound legal. Oh my God, now I'm excited.

Ok so here are my thoughts after spending a day weeding through probably the most "shit posts" we've ever gotten on a video in one day on our socials. It was one of those days where I seriously weeped for humanity not only from the just batshit crazy racist horrible posts I saw, but the extreme amount of stupidity showcased from just about every other post I read. Seriously, I ended up deleting well over 300 posts today and blocking at least 200 accounts across our socials for insanely vulgar, rude, racist, obnoxious and downright stupid comments.

Anyway...

- NO SHIT that rendering isn't even close to being real! Really, people? You're going to post over and over and over again about that factoid? Oh, I'm SO HAPPY we have you to tell us because we couldn't figure it out for ourselves. Yes, we all know that rending isn't real... But here's what **IS** real....

- Qiddiya obviously wants to built a park and they want it to be HUGE.

- They haven't already spent probably hundreds of thousands to millions on planning, partnerships, designs, and presentation assets if they weren't serious about building the park.

- While that coaster video may not be anywhere near representative of the actual coaster layout, here is what it DOES represents: The park wants to build the fastest, tallest, longest roller coaster in the world. That's not totally out of the realm of possibility, especially when you have a ton of money to put behind it.

- I know everyone is skeptical because we've seen so many parks in the UAE get announced and not happen... BUT... at least three major park projects DID get built! Yas Island attractions, Motiongate area, and IMG World are not small projects by any means and they did actually happen.

- Remember that Six Flags Dubai was cancelled after THREE OTHER full-sized parks were already built on that property.

- Saudi Arabia doesn't have ANY park like this at all. So it was 100% feasible that this may happen because it does fill a void in that country.

There are days like today where I honestly do not understand the "roller coaster community" and have zero hope for humanity. A brand new park gets announced with plans to build some seriously CRAZY looking rides. And yes, it is fine to be skeptical. It's fine to ask questions.

But why all the rudeness, racism, and horrible posts? WHY??? There is literally NO REASON for some of what I witnessed today. NONE. But this is the world we live in. And it is really sad.

I have no idea if this park will ever get built or if I'll ever go to Saudi Arabia when it does, but I have no reason to make horrible mean-spirited comments about something that clearly has funding, has a location, and has people who are working RIGHT NOW on this project.

Why can't so many other people see that as well?

/end rant.

Edited by robbalvey

Just want to add to this thread that we are only here to discuss the park since this is a theme park discussion board. This is not the place to discuss global political issues.

The comments on YouTube and social media that had to be deleted today were wild.