TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Anyone that’s not an entitled enthusiast that feels the need to overly critique this coaster and can enjoy it because its going to be fun regardless of stats feel free to reach out to me when you make your visit to ride it. I live nearby and would love to come catch a ride or two with you when you’re at my home park.

Anyone that’s not an entitled enthusiast that feels the need to overly critique this coaster and can enjoy it because its going to be fun regardless of stats feel free to reach out to me when you make your visit to ride it. I live nearby and would love to come catch a ride or two with you when you’re at my home park.

I think this is my favorite post ever.

^ Love this!

I live nearby and would love to come catch a ride or two with you when you’re at my home park.

catch a ride or two = drink a beer or two

I should have hit you up when we came to town this last time, but the trip was kind of last minute.

I live nearby and would love to come catch a ride or two with you when you’re at my home park.

I should have hit you up when we came to town this last time, but the trip was kind of last minute.

When were you here? I spent 4 days in a row at the park a couple weekends back and then this weekend I was there Saturday.

Thinking the first or second week in June next year. Haven't been since 2016 so need to hit Mystic Timbers also. You better be ready.

When were you here? I spent 4 days in a row at the park a couple weekends back and then this weekend I was there Saturday.

We were there on the 10th. It was a beautiful day and the park was packed. FL+ Diamondback lines were about 20 minutes.

Also, I think Mystic Timbers is Emily's favorite new coaster at the park. The Beast seemed kind of rough this year and we didn't get a night ride.

I enjoy meeting up with people when it works out, and it seems like KI is the place I've done that mostly, lately! Years ago I met a bunch of people at CP from a site I frequented at the time (now defunct), and many of them are still close friends! However, I also have met people, particularly from one site and club which shall not be named, who were A-holes, for the most part (ironically, at a KI event), and then of course there's the ones you always hear about who frequent Enthusiast events, that are... shall we say, socially challenged.

All that to say, the people in the community I least like to be around, and I'd have the least interest in meeting up with, aren't actually the overly nerdy ones who are socially awkward, or even the alleged "entitled enthusiast" who may not have a nuanced or mature perspective on coasters or the hobby, but is at least a decent and friendly person. It's that other group, the likes of which I met at that one event I referenced earlier, who think they're better than other enthusiasts, think they know how everything in the industry works better than other enthusiasts, and just generally act like cocky, condescending A-holes to anybody who dares have an opinion that they find inferior. That's who I avoid, and thankfully, most of the people I've met up with, outside of that one club, are not that kind of enthusiast (who, humorously enough, also often try to dis-identify with being an enthusiast the most often.) To me, enjoying parks and coasters is about fun, and just having a good time doing something you enjoy. People in that last category suck all the fun out of the hobby in my opinion, and I often wonder why they're even involved, if they've reduced it to such an elitist and pedantic endeavor.

Sorry for the rant, I was just thinking about this topic, and saw this as an opportunity to bring up my thoughts on the matter. As for yourself Ape, I'll have to let you know next time I go to KI, and I don't know if you've met up with RAWKIN yet, but we often meet up when I go down there. Not sure if I'll be back this year for Haunt (which would sadly break my streak of going), but I'll definitely be back next year, if not for Opening Day, I'm definitely planning on going for Coasterstock, and also during a family vacation the weeks after Memorial Day. I bring my three oldest kids with me when I go to parks typically now, as we all have a blast together, and they're my favorite people to be around and ride coasters with, but I'm always open to meeting new people too!

We were there on the 10th. It was a beautiful day and the park was packed. FL+ Diamondback lines were about 20 minutes.

Man, what a difference 5 days makes! The 15th was a beautiful day as well, and the park was possibly the least busy I've ever seen it! Never waited more than 15 minutes for anything in the standby queue, including 10 minute or less waits for Mystic Timbers, which I've never had before. Of course, the downside was Diamondback was down the whole time we were there. Luckily though, KI is awesome enough, that even without our favorite coaster there, we all still had a blast!

What you're describing makes me nervous about our trip to the frequently busy CW in a couple weeks, as it'll be a Sunday, and even with FL+, I worry it will have some waits like you mentioned. It'll still be better than not having FL+ though, so there's that consolation. I'm just not typically a weekend (or midsummer) park goer, so crowds aren't usually too bad when I go places.

I won’t be at coasterstock, it’s always the same weekend as Rock On The Range/ Sonic Temple. As long as you bathe properly/ deodorize and don’t try to tell me I’m wrong for liking one coaster over another then I am very easy to get along with. I can’t stand people that show up to events smelling horrid.

^Ape, I'm not sure how we haven't met yet since we both go to KI pretty often. Maybe we should make that happen! I promise I shower and use deoderant!

Now that we're almost into September (what what?? How did August go by so quickly!) you know what that means... Haunt is upon us!! I'm getting ready to start digging out my Halloween decorations that I'll then leave up until uncomfortably close to Christmas.

Looking at the Haunt website, it doesn't look like there are any new mazes or shows this year Which mainly sucks because a few years ago there were two additional mazes (Sorority Slaughter and CarnEvil) that have yet to be replaced. (I realize that the building Sorority Slaughter was in has since been demo'd and rebuilt into a restaurant, but still, we're down two).

However, the good news is that all the mazes from last year are returning! I wasn't sure if we'd see Field of Screams back with all the construction, but thankfully it'll be back, and hopefully we can get some nice construction pics of Orion from the queue.

Also good to note, there are four new scare zones this year: International Street Fear (International Street), Rivertown Reaping (Rivertown), Shipwrecked (Action Zone), and Zombie Mall (Coney Mall, also home to Coney Maul scare zone). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think now most major KI walkways open during Haunt are going to be scarezones. So while there are no new mazes this year, if these new scare zones are even half as immersive as Pumpkin Eater (new for last year), then this year's Haunt will still be a step up!

Anyone planning to go on the 20th? I always try to make it out for the first night of Haunt, so hmu!

Kings Island takes a lot of pride in their Haunt, so if there isn't anything new offered this year I hope they just focus on adding more details to the current line up and packing them with as many actors as much as possible.

Signed, ex-Urgent Scare 2009/2010 patient 011; Trail of Terror 2008 bandit.

I enjoy meeting up with people when it works out, and it seems like KI is the place I've done that mostly, lately! Years ago I met a bunch of people at CP from a site I frequented at the time (now defunct), and many of them are still close friends! However, I also have met people, particularly from one site and club which shall not be named, who were A-holes, for the most part (ironically, at a KI event), and then of course there's the ones you always hear about who frequent Enthusiast events, that are... shall we say, socially challenged.

I have to jump in here....I know this was posted a while ago but wow someone that actually feels the way I do. I consider myself an enthusiast and my homepark is KI. I've been thrilled with the announcement of Orion and feel VERY lucky to have so many good coasters in one park. Granted CP is my favorite and only 5 hours away, but I don't get there as often. I don't understand how people are complaining and judging when the coaster hasn't been built yet. I was at the announcement and even though we knew what was coming it was still really exciting. I have had issues w a certain group/person in another group that went as far as to try to get me kicked out of ACE and KI. I couldn't believe when I got a call from ACE saying so and so says you're threatening him. Smh He kicked me out of his group because I had an opinion, every park has their strengths and weaknesses but in his group you don't dare ever say anything negative. Sadly, he has the backing of KI even though numerous people have all complained about how nasty he is. This all happened right before Coasterstock in May and it was really uncomfortable running into him and his cronies. I absolutely love KI and love meeting new people in our travels. If people are so upset about this coaster than that's just less people waiting when I get in line! I've lurked in this group for quite a long time but have rarely commented, maybe I should have more, you guys seem to be of the same mindset as I am. I'm glad I started looking around again.

^I was thinking the same thing! I'm definitely loving that color, and looking forward to seeing it loom above the KI skyline when I approach for the first time next year!

I have to jump in here....I know this was posted a while ago but wow someone that actually feels the way I do. I consider myself an enthusiast and my homepark is KI. I've been thrilled with the announcement of Orion and feel VERY lucky to have so many good coasters in one park. Granted CP is my favorite and only 5 hours away, but I don't get there as often. I don't understand how people are complaining and judging when the coaster hasn't been built yet. I was at the announcement and even though we knew what was coming it was still really exciting. I have had issues w a certain group/person in another group that went as far as to try to get me kicked out of ACE and KI. I couldn't believe when I got a call from ACE saying so and so says you're threatening him. Smh He kicked me out of his group because I had an opinion, every park has their strengths and weaknesses but in his group you don't dare ever say anything negative. Sadly, he has the backing of KI even though numerous people have all complained about how nasty he is. This all happened right before Coasterstock in May and it was really uncomfortable running into him and his cronies. I absolutely love KI and love meeting new people in our travels. If people are so upset about this coaster than that's just less people waiting when I get in line! I've lurked in this group for quite a long time but have rarely commented, maybe I should have more, you guys seem to be of the same mindset as I am. I'm glad I started looking around again.

When I started reading the first part of your post there, I was thinking, "Man! This person is EXACTLY like me!" Then I realized it WAS me!

I'm glad you commiserate regarding the "bad egg" issue you can definitely encounter among enthusiasts. I swear, I've never seen another "enthusiast" fandom that can sometimes seem so anti-social, dour, and unenthusiastic about what they supposedly love! Still, I have had primarily positive experiences in person with other enthusiasts, and always enjoy meeting up, and spending time with other like-minded people! Just so long as they know and understand I'll probably have three of my kids with me, as they're all coaster-lovers too, and my primary riding partners!

It's good to have you back here! TPR may not be perfect, but from my venturing around the world of internet coaster enthusiasm over the past 20 years, I do think it's the best community I've found, at least that's still currently around!

I really do love this color of blue - it is going to look awesome.

In regards to the "coaster people" topic - I went on I think 6 TPR tours back in the day and most everybody on the trips were awesome. I've made some lifelong friends and really love them. For example, my husband and I got married in Orlando a couple of years ago - around 15 people I've met through TPR flew in for my wedding which brought me a lot of joy. At some events I've come across people that were the negative stereotype and generally just stayed away from them , but I've met many more really funny and fun people than I've met of that type. I'll forever remember marathoning Intimatidator 232 with a 65 year old grandmother who had just gotten a new hip!! She was a hoot!

As my little guy gets older and able to ride everything I look forward to taking trips with him and maybe meeting some of you lovely people. Until that time - if you get down to SFoG feel free to give me a shout!

I know this is kind of last minute, but has anyone been to Pride Night at Kings Island? It’s tonight 6-12pm. It’s a separate ticketed event so it’s not on the park calendar and passes aren’t valid entry. I’m thinking about going but unsure if I want to or not. Anyone know more about it? Like are the rides open? It’s unclear to me from the website.

Edited by RAWKIN_coaster38