TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Antonio Discussion Thread

We get preferred parking at Busch Gardens since it's free with our pass but it's also not a perk we really care about at most parks. The park is massive and you spend the entire day walking so we honestly don't care if we have to walk a little further to and from the car. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal.

Obviously there are exceptions (like for people using a wheelchair), but I never understood why people look at walking 5-10 minutes from the park entrance to the car as a big issue when once they're inside the park they're probably going to walk like 6-10 miles throughout the course of the day.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just want someone to explain the thought process here because I never understood it.

^Agreed. I have never reserved the preferred parking we get with our Diamond SF memberships. At SFFT, we parked closer to the entrance than the preferred lot was. I think the longest walks we've done were SFOG and Dollywood, and they weren't bad at all. We even skipped the tram at Dollywood just to get more steps.

I did 11 miles walking at Cedar Point in one day. My daughter and I did 12.5 in one day on our Texas trip. I tend to arrive at the park well before opening and have never had an issue. I often park near the back of parking lots just to get more exercise.

We get preferred parking at Busch Gardens since it's free with our pass but it's also not a perk we really care about at most parks. The park is massive and you spend the entire day walking so we honestly don't care if we have to walk a little further to and from the car. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal.

If I were to spend the entire day I'd get to the parking lot before opening anyway, the last time I was there it was literally a thirty-second walk from my car to the tram stop.

Obviously there are exceptions (like for people using a wheelchair), but I never understood why people look at walking 5-10 minutes from the park entrance to the car as a big issue when once they're inside the park they're probably going to walk like 6-10 miles throughout the course of the day.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just want someone to explain the thought process here because I never understood it.

For me personally, its not something I would necessarily pay significantly more for a la carte, but its something to consider as a perk, or in a parallel universe where amusement parks would only make the upcharge 5-10%. If I plan on using my Platinum pass 20-30 times between BGT/BGW/SWO/SWSA/various waterparks over a 365 day period, the indifference value that I put on a platinum pass per visit would be very low, if the total value was dividend by 20-30 visits. But sure, if its $25 for general, and $40 for preferred, I wouldn't dream of paying for the preferred.

And, a big reason for me personally:

I go to the FL parks a lot directly after work. When I'm not in a busy season at work, I work from 7-30-4, and can sneak out early if I need to sometimes. So if I'm trying to max the rest of the day, that tram ride over to the park can kill some of my available time. And if its cold enough I may want to just keep my work clothing on (especially when I go to Disney and the rides aren't as extreme) -- basically taking my suit jacket off and putting a sweater over my tie -- and walking in dress shoes is a pain. And conversely, if I am making rope drop and staying a long time, the extra walking compounds against the walking I do all day. With my experiences with Busch and Disney, I've just learned that its best to just take tram and not be a hero and try to walk it both ways.

• 3 months later...

Since there’s no official information or press release, I think it is safe for me to mention how the rumored 2020 wooden roller coaster got added to the roller coaster database overnight. There’s even pictures of the footers. No info is available on the manufacturer. My best guess would be a GCI, but a GG is also likely.

https://rcdb.com/17278.htm

GCI and Gravity Group both make excellent wooden coasters, so I don't think Seaworld can go wrong with either. This will be a nice addition. Texas can use a nice good wooden roller coaster!

I am still in shock that Seaworld is adding a major roller coaster to each of their 5 big parks next year.

Wow, that's certainly vibrant.

It's really weird looking but I kind of like it.

it's like year round Mardi Gras coaster.

(maybe SW just bought the paint in bulk for Apollo at BGW, and had leftovers?)

• 3 months later...

I've seen some photos online of the lift being erected already. I'm guessing it's Gravity Group judging by the (what I assume is) the straight first drop in that short POV and the metal support structure, but it'll be nice to get some more details from the park.

I was thinking this would be more of a smaller wood coaster like InvadR, but if it's the tallest wood coaster in Texas it needs to top Boardwalk Bullet (96 ft).

Taller than Iron Rattler and New Texas Giant? That means it'll have to be 180 feet tall at a bare minimum. That height coming from someone other than RMC is usually a sign of an extremely painful ride (Son Of Beast, anyone?). El Toro and Colossos are 181' and 164', respectively, but that's coming from Intamin's excellent plug and play system and even then we all know how bad Colossos got towards the huge refurb project.

If the advertising isn't a lie, then this will be a must-ride for the first few seasons, then quickly become another rough, "maybe if the line isn't too long" ride.

Looks like it could be cool. I am really into this SEAS 2020 Coaster Blowout. An Intamin, a B&M, an RMC, assuming this a GCI or Gravity Group? And then a Premier/Intamin or whatever is going in @ SWO?? I'll tell ya its a great time to be a platinum passholder.

Looks like it could be cool. I am really into this SEAS 2020 Coaster Blowout. An Intamin, a B&M, an RMC, assuming this a GCI or Gravity Group? And then a Premier/Intamin or whatever is going in @ SWO?? I'll tell ya its a great time to be a platinum passholder.

It's honestly insane to think that every SeaWorld park excluding Sesame Place is getting a new coaster next year. Pantheon at BGW, Mako at SWSD, Gwazi 2.0 at BGT, the Premier launch coaster at SWO, and now this? Blackfish who?

I've always loved the SEAS parks, and with this latest spending splurge, I can only love them more! I'm definitely excited about this addition for SWSA, and even though I sadly don't currently have any plans to get back down so San Antonio in the near future, I'll be glad to have this there whenever I do get back down there!

Taller than Iron Rattler and New Texas Giant? That means it'll have to be 180 feet tall at a bare minimum. That height coming from someone other than RMC is usually a sign of an extremely painful ride (Son Of Beast, anyone?). El Toro and Colossos are 181' and 164', respectively, but that's coming from Intamin's excellent plug and play system and even then we all know how bad Colossos got towards the huge refurb project.

If the advertising isn't a lie, then this will be a must-ride for the first few seasons, then quickly become another rough, "maybe if the line isn't too long" ride.

Um they said wooden coaster, not hybrid or steel.

I have some construction pics if anyone wants to see, trying to do a trip report but we know how that goes. (I still have one from the year Valravn opened. lol )

Um they said wooden coaster, not hybrid or steel.

KBrylczyk is Energylandia: CONFIRMED!