Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 984: Boogie Board Racer & Grand Carnivale announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
token black guy

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby jarmor » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:12 am

White water falls didn't get that and Rapids won't either. They are not significant rides.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby bgtlover » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:35 am

HellboyBegins7492 wrote:So is this it carowinds new ride is just going to be a Matt racers slide for 2020? Nothing new will be announced in 2020 I mean yes their is a show coming but nothing in the dry park? Carowinds didn’t even have a announcement date for the new ride they just announced it. Usually they do this before announce new attractions right? What about dinosaurs alive and rip roaring rapids?

Carowinds rarely ever gets an addition to the water park and dry park in the same year. Don't expect anything else to be announced... this was it. They just got Copperhead Strike last year.
Coaster Count: 130
Top 10:

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:08 am

Visited the park last week for the first time since 2016. Some thoughts/pictures:

-Decent operations overall. Two trains on everything but Vortex, Carolina Cyclone, and Nighthawk.
-Copperhead Strike is a fun little ride. Hangtime on the roll out of the station is weird in a good way. Rode this a couple of times first thing.
-Afterburn still kicks ass
-Intimidator still probably my least favorite B&M hyper, but still a good ride. The one thing that was really annoying was half the day the crew would do the whole "do not pull down your lapbars, we will do it for you" and the rest of the day they did not.
-Fury still kicks all kinds of ass.

On to the photos!
1.jpg
Another great day at Carowinds!
2.jpg
No boobs in multiple states at this sign
3.jpg
New Hotness
4.jpg
20 year old hotness
5.jpg
Still such a kick ass ride.
6.jpg
Wind was Saught on this day
7.jpg
Great theming for a plane themed coaster
8.jpg
Hi short Intimidator
9.jpg
Nothing to see here
10.jpg
New hotness from the sky
11.jpg
I thought Cedar Fair would....nvm
12.jpg
That's going to be a no from me dawg.
13.jpg
The side of the parking lot filled up . Luckily the side by Intimidator was empty.
14.jpg
Had lunch at Harmony Hall. Didn't realize the time. Kids show started and I scarfed the rest down and hauled out of there.
15.jpg
Love parks that have ways to get aerial views.
16.jpg
Sling...
17.jpg
...Shot
18.jpg
Carowinds has some really great rides
19.jpg
Barrel turn goodness
20.jpg
I do like the new style entrances Carowinds and Cedar Point have now
21.jpg
22.jpg
Such
23.jpg
A
24.jpg
Great
25.jpg
Ride
26.jpg
Later Fury!

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby B&MIntaminGCI » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:59 pm

Just got home from my first ever, two day excursion at Carowinds. I was there Friday and Saturday.

Friday:
Landed at 11am and Ubered straight to Carowinds, this was me leisurely exploring, photography day. Since it was National Roller Coaster Day and I needed 8 credits to get to 100. I wanted Fury to be my 100th coaster, so I went around the park clockwise starting with Intimidator, Afterburn, Copperhead Strike, Flying Cobras, Ricochet, Carolina Cyclone, Hurler and then finally Fury. HOLY. F**K. If you blind folded me and I couldn't tell anything about restraints, I would never have guessed Fury was a new school B&M. I know it was 97 degrees, but that rides HAULS ASS and gives mild-medium ejector on the airtime hills at the end. Fury is now currently my #4 coaster and favorite B&M of all time.

After that I decided to do a photo pass, I got my camera out and had some fun walking around taking photos. The photos weren't coming out the greatest because of the direct overhead lighting, but that changed around sunset when I got some KILLER shots of the coasters.

Went back and did more rides followed by another photo lap at sunset which is when the magic shots happened.

Wound up doing Fury 16 times, Copperhead 5 times, Afterburn 2 times and everything else once. Favorite seat on Fury is back left, front left being second favorite. Left side of the train makes a HUGE difference.

Saturday:
This was the day I was waiting for, I had the all inclusive pass, it was set to be another scorcher but it was my day to just ride until I can't ride no more. Did Intimidator in the front because I did it in the back Friday but couldn't bare the 5 minute dispatches to sit on the brakes in the sun for 10 minutes because they triple stacked each train. Honestly can't really remember all that I did Saturday but everything was walk on with FLP. A random storm rolled through at 6pm and created a GREAT double rainbow that you'll see below.

Fury: 28x
Copperhead: 4x
Afterburn: 4x
Everything else: 1x, got the missing credits like Vortex, Nighthawk, Goldrusher. Only 2 coasters I didn't get were Kittyhawk, Wilderness Run and Woodstock Express because I didn't care enough.

All in all, I love this park so much, it's so tiny but it has some killer rides (mainly the 3 good B&Ms + Copperhead Strike)

I prefer Intimidator to Diamondback, I was either getting good rides or everyone else is a bit too dramatic because I was FLOATING.

Photos
Typical Fury 325 photo

Typical Copperhead Strike photo

Empty train during the Hive Dive

Empty train post Hive Dive

B&M goodness

Fury being absolutely MASSIVE

Slow your roll

Don't worry, this was during boarding and my phone went in a zippered pocket right after.

More of Fury being MASSIVE

Intimidator's lovely lady lumps

Nice old school B&M invert

Copperhead Strike twisting during sunset

More of Copperhead Strike twisting during sunset

Now my two favorite photos of the whole trip:

Double Rainbow

Ridin' into the sunset (no rules broken, my zoom lens was against the fence)
Last edited by B&MIntaminGCI on Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:15 pm.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby shoesfather » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Wow those are some gorgeous shots man. Great stuff

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:13 pm

Great photos!

I first visited Carowinds in 2017 and liked the park (because of Fury mostly). After visiting again this summer, I think it is my second favorite Cedar Fair park behind Cedar Point. Copperhead Strike did a lot for their line-up in my opinion, and their current top 4 is very solid. Throw in a GCI and RMC Hurler down the road and this park will dominate. I'm so glad Cedar Fair recognized the potential it has.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Postby prozach626 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:45 pm

Thanks for the TR's. Glad both of you had a good time.

Postby DILinator » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:27 pm

Love those sunset pictures, and of course the rainbow one! Great job!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby yawetag » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:46 am

CoasterGuy06 wrote:-Intimidator still probably my least favorite B&M hyper, but still a good ride. The one thing that was really annoying was half the day the crew would do the whole "do not pull down your lapbars, we will do it for you" and the rest of the day they did not.

It's a fairly new thing this year. I didn't notice it until mid-summer or so. It's possible some of the ops aren't used to it. I was told by a ride op that it was to make it easier on them to access the seatbelt for checking.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby tndank » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:54 am

Nice pics above.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!