TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

It's their original wave pool, located at the very back of the water park. They also have a newer wave pool located midway through the water park.

Went and battled the heat yesterday. Barley anyone at the park, was able to make several laps. Rode I-305 21 times(several of those at night). On Twisted Timbers, the first half is awesome but after the 3 big air time hills, the ride kills its re-rideability with all the jerky ejector air. Fantastic day, glad I was able to get back to this amazing park.

I'm a DC college student looking to take a trip down to KD soon, maybe tomorrow. I've never been before and I don't have a season pass - that combined with a ZipCar rental can make the trip there a little pricey for me. I'd like to be able to ride all the coasters in a day when I go, will it be possible to do that on a Sunday?

Maybe. It'll depend on the weather.

I'm guessing you can't budget for a FL+. I have a Platinum Pass and all-season FL+, so I normally don't follow this routine, but here you go:

If you are there from open to close, you should be able to hit all of the adult coasters at least once, even with having to wait in lines. I recommend the following course:

1. Detour into Camp Snoopy for Woodstock Express. Will definitely get more of a line later due to the height restriction.

2. Beeline to the back of the park for Apple Zapple. Can get a line later in the day due to low height restriction, and low capacity.

3. Twisted Timbers. Will be right there, and WILL get a substantial line later.

4. Now start a counter-clockwise rotation around the park. Rebel Yell/Racer 75.

5. Backlot Stunt Coaster

6. Anaconda

7. Flight of Fear. The AC'd queue will feel pretty good around this point in the day.

8. Intimidator

9. Avalanche

10. Dominator

11. Grizzly

At this point, if you have any time left in the day, I recommend getting a few more rides on Twisted Timbers or marathoning Intimidator

You could probably do that in the last 3-4 hours of the day, or 2.5 hours on Monday. If you're leaving early though, I suggest going TT and then to FoF. Only the last 15-20 minutes of its queue is fully air conditioned and you're outside if over 30 min.

I think we already know it's going to be some sort of water park expansion/addition, based on the closing of the rear wave pool and previous statements indicating that something new is going there.

I'll be heading down to KD for the first time this Friday! We're going on a deal that lets us into the park from 4pm to 10pm. I know that this is too short of a time to experience the park properly, but we live close enough that I'll probably by back within the next few years, so I'm not terribly concerned about getting every single thing in.

My main priorities are

-Multiple rides on I305

-Multiple rides on TT

-Grizzly night ride

-Dominator

-Drop Tower

-Avalanche

-Rebel Yell (I like that name better)

-The crypt

-Anything else is gravy

Is this reasonable? What sort of crowds should I expect for the rides? I know I305 is often dead, but IDK about any of the other rides. Are there any other must-rides that I should try and fit in?

In addition, anyone have recommendations for how to get the best experience on all these rides (i.e. which seat to sit in, riding positions, etc). I generally have a pretty high tolerance for roughness.

Thanks for all the help!

Your plan might be doable without a FL+, it will all depend on crowds. My friend and I went on Friday 7/12 which had similar weather forecast to this coming Friday, and found crowds to be pretty light; we didn't need to get the Fast Lane passes and we did everything in the park even with taking several hours in the waterpark and and two hour break at the hotel in the middle of the day. As for particular ride tips:

-TT in the very front or very back. You should be able to try both.

-Same for I305.

-Grizzly in the very front.

-Dominator in the very back. I prefer the inner seats, they seem to have less of that B&M rattle.

-Rebel Yell on a non-wheel seat (the middle row of any car). It's pretty smooth though since all of the retracking that's been done.

-Avalanche in the very front. I'd knock this out first upon arrival since the line tends to move slow due to only holding 7-14 people per train.

I'd also not skip Flight of Fear (very back row) if you have time. Delirium is a pretty good frisbee if you're into those kinda rides.

Have fun. I consider KD my home park even though I've got SFA, SFGAdv, and Hershey closer to me.

I'll be heading down to KD for the first time this Friday! We're going on a deal that lets us into the park from 4pm to 10pm. I know that this is too short of a time to experience the park properly, but we live close enough that I'll probably by back within the next few years, so I'm not terribly concerned about getting every single thing in.

My main priorities are

-Multiple rides on I305

-Multiple rides on TT

-Grizzly night ride

-Dominator

-Drop Tower

-Avalanche

-Rebel Yell (I like that name better)

-The crypt

-Anything else is gravy

Is this reasonable? What sort of crowds should I expect for the rides? I know I305 is often dead, but IDK about any of the other rides. Are there any other must-rides that I should try and fit in?

In addition, anyone have recommendations for how to get the best experience on all these rides (i.e. which seat to sit in, riding positions, etc). I generally have a pretty high tolerance for roughness.

Thanks for all the help!

You should have no issues getting in plenty of rides on I305, assuming it is running without breakdowns. When I was there a couple months ago, there was never a line, but it was down for almost a whole day on one of the days.

Intimidator is definitely a back row ride for me. The first drop and turn is fantastic in the back row, and the ride is just so intense from top to bottom. It is my all time favorite roller coaster. If you are prone to blacking/greying out, make sure to clench your butt cheeks on the first turn. It sounds silly but I promise it helps! Sometimes it's unavoidable though. That coaster is bonkers.

Twisted Timbers will likely have a line, and unfortunately the operations are terrible (or at least they were in June). The whole red/green card system is completely stupid and the operations are so slow they may as well have bins in the station. But the good news is (based on my visit in June) it seems to run pretty consistently with no big breakdowns. I like RMCs pretty equally in the front and back rows. Both have incredible airtime and have their pros and cons. Try both!

Dominator is always quite popular since it is in the front of the park, but since you are there in the evening you shouldn't have an issue. Make sure to ride in the front row. That is always the best seat on Floorless coasters.

As for the rest, just ride them as you see them. I can't imagine there being any massive lines when you're going, unless the weather is just absolutely beautifully perfect, then they might be a half hour at most lol

That's just my initial advice based on my 2017 and 2019 visits. I'm sure a local could tell you more.

I can confirm the Twisted Timbers dispatches were still terrible as of last week.

I strongly recommend riding I305 at night as well (I figure you want to, but wanted to make sure it's said). There's hardly any light along that course.

Next year I'm planning on being in the KD area on Memorial Day, and I know they advertised a fireworks show that night. I was wondering how late they were open Memorial Day, or the weekend days beforehand? Is it open long enough to get a couple of night rides? I went last year, and there won't likely be anything major new, but I was hoping to pop in during the evening for some rides on TT, and also maybe grab a night ride on I-305, and see if I like it any better than my "meh" ride on it during the day last year (controversial opinion, I know, but it's shared by all three of my kids who rode it, so....)

We made our first visit to KD on Monday. I've wanted to visit since I was a kid. This was the 4th and last day of a long weekend trip. There were very few people in the park.

Racer was fun and was an amazing view of Intimidator and the park. Really liked it.

Grizzly was a bit rough but I liked it. Good night ride.

Intimidator was really fun. Rode it for 45 minutes without leaving the station at dusk. Could have sat on it all night; crew didn't care and most trains were half empty.

Twisted Timbers - Nice area. Looks beautiful. Loved the ride. Sat on back row green for the last 40 minutes they were open. Really enjoyed it.

Had a couple hours delay with a storm. Finally got things back up and running around 730. Anaconda was the last credit we needed. The crew was having fun and joking around. They were having folks do shout outs on the station mic and having a good time. Top of the lift they stopped our train. Asked who had their phone out. Had us put our hands up. Put them down. No seriously, who has the phone. Then they were laughing and said they were sending it. The crew was amusing themselves.

First time I've really been able to just stay in my seat or move around at will between rides. Loved it.

All in all, had a great time. I'll be back for sure.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I realize I forgot to mention I'd also like to check out the Eiffel Tower. Do you think I could reasonably squeeze that in?

Also, on the chance that the park is miraculously dead and I have plenty of time to ride other stuff besides my main priorities, which seats would you recommend for Anaconda. I hear it's pretty rough/painful, but I've enjoyed my rides on Demon @SFGAm so I hopefully have a little bit of an idea on how to brace during the ride.

Also, are there any seats on Woodstock Express that are worth a try if I have the time?

Anaconda: The front row of any car, as close to the front as you can get.

Woodstock: Very back row.

The Eiffel Tower really takes as long as you want...they don't kick you out at any point, so if you stay at the top for 5 minutes or 5 hours it really doesn't matter. The line should be short at various points throughout the day.

Introducing Coconut Shores

884721683_ScreenShot2019-08-15at1_39_39PM.thumb.png.50e587f89d088579b04337cf31a03d9c.png

New Area Coming in 2020

505260860_ScreenShot2019-08-15at1_39_46PM.thumb.png.00542e2d175a20b5769db62a96db43db.png

We're making waves in 2020 with three exciting additions to our water park! Our newly redesigned area, Coconut Shores, provides the perfect place for families to cool down and have fun. Kids of all ages can explore their way to the top of Lighthouse Landing, a 45-ft tall multi-level aqua play structure featuring hundreds of interactive elements for a splashtastic time. The little ones can find their own piece of paradise at Sand Dune Lagoon, a 3,000 square foot wave pool with playful 1-foot tall waves and interactive splash elements. And, a new dining experience showcasing a variety of flavors designed by our executive chef will bring families together for a relaxing meal.

1703244441_ScreenShot2019-08-15at1_39_53PM.thumb.png.27a0c03dc3a77784785261b919ed70e5.png

Thinking about a last minute trip to KD this weekend before my kid starts school. We have a platinum pass from Carowinds this year since we visited CP earlier in the summer and thought why not try and take advantage of the free admission. The problem is we would only be able to be at the park on Saturday and of course I'm worried about the crowds. Would they be unbearable this late in the summer? What kind of wait times for the major coasters can I expect?

I was thinking about taking an impromptu road trip with my son to KD this weekend and take advantage of having a Cedar Fair platinum pass. The problem is we would be at the park on Saturday. Any idea if the lines for the major coasters will be horrible or if I would have to buy a fastlane+?