TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Can any kind passholder of six flags great America provide me with the code that was emailed yesterday for the presale of 2020 passes? Apparently it went out yesterday and I would love to buy a pass before I go to the park this Sunday.

Thanks!

Can any kind passholder of six flags great America provide me with the code that was emailed yesterday for the presale of 2020 passes? Apparently it went out yesterday and I would love to buy a pass before I go to the park this Sunday.

Thanks!

Thanks for giving me the heads up- had no idea about a presale

Quick Maxx Force update:

I went to Six Flags yesterday for a few hours and MF was consistently launching in the neighborhood of 110 seconds. Although they were not being used for the most part, all of the new queue line addition is finished AND 4 out of six overhead sun shelter screens have been installed as well as a second large misting fan.

Also, yesterday was exactly 40 years to the day that I first set foot in (what was then) Marriott's Great America. The new attraction for '79 was Fort Fun, the large children's playhouse where the Go Kart track is now. Tidal Wave was only a year old and it was the last year for Turn Of The Century before it was converted to The Demon for 1980 season.

Excellent memories! My first visit to Great America was 1980, the year of the Demon! I see you are from Crown Point; I was there last week to visit the Lake County Fair. Not what it used to be be, but also good memories... my grandparents were the caretakers of the Fairgrounds throughout most of the 80s, so that was my playground. The house that used to be right inside the 4H entrance gate; that was my home away from home! Oh the Zipper and Sky Diver memories. I was a tiny kid and they'd let you ride anything - even alone! Times have changed! Sorry to get off topic, but I love Crown Point and visit all the time.

I'm glad to hear they are getting Maxx Force trains out quicker. Now could they open the exit gates so we don't have to walk ... nah, forget it. I'm at the point where I need to be done with Six Flags for a good year or two; it would be my first "time away" from my home park since 1980. It's more fulfilling to drive a few hours to parks that have a higher quality of service. It's a bit sad as I do love Great America and consider it the best in the chain, but you know what they say: "if it ain't fun no more, don't do it!"

I was planning on heading to the park for the first time this year with a first timer. I have the season Flash Pass on my card but I'm struggling with accessing the reservation portal. Of course it brings up an error when I try to access it with the order number and email. I've looked around the website and the app to no avail. Anyone have any advice? Also, what are the steps to adding a person to the Flash Pass for a visit?

Well, it's not a base-tier GA-only membership - it's a Platinum that gets us in to all the parks

Just FYI, I believe that every Six Flags season pass/membership gets you into all their parks (at least all the dry parks). I do not believe there are single park season passes at all.

I don't know about other parks, but SFGAm has a 'Thrill Pass' that they say is the same price as a one-day ticket (but doesn't have discounts) and goes until Labor Day. Not quire sure who would buy it, but it's out there...

A Thrill Pass gives you unlimited visits to Six Flags Great America through September 2, 2019 for the same price as a one-day ticket! Buy a day, get the rest of the summer FREE. Hurricane Harbor requires an additional fee.

Please note Hurricane Harbor, Fright Fest, in-park discounts, free tickets for friends and admission to other parks are not included with a Thrill Pass. Children two and under free.

Ok, I this really crazy idea that I'm not even sure is possible, but it made me wonder... Would it even be possible for RMC to only convert one half of a racing roller coaster? I know typically a lot of structure is removed, and heights and things changed, but the idea of a racing or dueling coaster that was two types in an interesting thought at least... Probably not plausible, and certainly not likely. But I'm curious, nonetheless...

Ok, I this really crazy idea that I'm not even sure is possible, but it made me wonder... Would it even be possible for RMC to only convert one half of a racing roller coaster? I know typically a lot of structure is removed, and heights and things changed, but the idea of a racing or dueling coaster that was two types in an interesting thought at least... Probably not plausible, and certainly not likely. But I'm curious, nonetheless...

I think Six Flags and RMC are both crazy enough try it

I dunno if that would be logical from an engineering standpoint. You would basically be splitting the current structure in half since you would have significant differences in the tracks as far as location and height. From there you have to consider structures ability to take the loading.

Not saying engineers can't come up with something, but on it's face it seems like quite the task.

I dunno if that would be logical from an engineering standpoint. You would basically be splitting the current structure in half since you would have significant differences in the tracks as far as location and height. From there you have to consider structures ability to take the loading.

Not saying engineers can't come up with something, but on it's face it seems like quite the task.

Yeah, as a non-engineer myself, that's what seemed likely to me. It was just this vision that came through my head as I was watching that video, of half the track behind him being RMC, and it made me go "hmmm..." Definitely seems very unlikely to ever happen.

Yeah, as a non-engineer myself, that's what seemed likely to me. It was just this vision that came through my head as I was watching that video, of half the track behind him being RMC, and it made me go "hmmm..." Definitely seems very unlikely to ever happen.

It's be an interesting concept for sure... Do the 1st lap in "classic" mode, following the current layout, then in lap 2, go full RMC. Basically 2 distinct rides in under 5 minutes. You couldn't race with this, as you'd have 2 very different layouts.

I'd also wonder if the switch to I-box or Topper Track would change the "classic" side as far as speed and forces generated. I mean, you could have a ton of fun with a glass smooth, quick helix on American Eagle for sure.

^Amen. I love Eagle, especially red. That drop is epic; the gradual speed gain and continual steepening really do it. Heck, the entire first run is already hybrid track, they did that in the early 90s.

When the big helix brakes are off, the run back home is basically “Voyage meets Phoenix.” I’d be bummed to see them RMC it.

Either way, my Six Flags days are just about over. I’d rather drive a few hours for a quality service park.

RMCs use rubberized wheels (any exceptions?) so they have to raise the lift or shorten the coaster, and change the elements towards the end to make them more exciting despite the slower speed. Regarding a mobius loop, even if the train could match the original track, the wood side would have to be completely changed. If the wood coaster was El Toro, which uses rubberized wheels, very little would have to be done, but that's unlikely.

They ain't gonna have two RMC's a 30 second walk from each other... Just sayin'

I agree with this, and I also would personally hate to see American Eagle go.

I know this is an unpopular enthusiast opinion, but I don't think Viper is anything special. If they were going to RMC conversion something at SFGAm, I think it would be that, because of the possibilities the more twisted layout offers.

I don't think they're doing either coaster though, and I doubt they're getting a coaster at all in 2020.

a 30 second walk

You have seen American Eagle's queue, right?

Yes. And Viper, Superman, Raging Bull, Maxx Force, X-Flight... Scream, X2, Goliath, Riddler... The Boss, Mr. Freeze, etc., etc. Notice a pattern? It’s not a space issue, it’s a Six Flags design feature. And a horrible way to treat paying customers.

So, how is Maxxforce? Is there any air at all over the bump, and is the ride intense/how's the high speed flip? This ride intrigues me, figure its either intense or kind of lame, hoping for the former.

I got two rides, both in row 7 (where I was assigned each time). You barely notice the bump, though I imagine in the front row or two you might get some amount of air. The whole ride is intense IMO. The launch is insanity. Among my favorite coaster elements ever, and definitely the best single coaster element in the park. The roll is quite fun, offering a bit of floatiness while still keeping up the fast pace. Both the double inversions are very fun. Fantastic ride IMO, even if it’s over fast.