TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I just found out about the Haunted Mansion incident... Wow. Is there anything on the land occupied by where the Haunted Mansion was, today? If it's where I think it was, I seem to remember just a patch of trees.

I believe it was along the path that that was frequently closed goes from the Big Wheel towards Justice League. It least I remember hearing stories of sounds coming from disabled speakers in that area at night.

We finally made our first trip of the season to the park yesterday on our way back from an awesome weekend down in Wildwood. Was way more crowded for a Monday than I had expected, but manageable. The kiddo finally measured* up at 54" and he managed to get all the remaining major coasters here under his belt.

He actually enjoyed Green Lantern. I may have to disown him. The actual shocker though was that out of all the six 54" rides, his favorite was Superman: Ultimate Flight. He loved the sensation of flying (and it was a huge upgrade from the only other flying coaster he's done, that shitty Volare death trap that's at Rye Playland). He said the pretzel loop made him sick. "Like, you need to throw up sick?" No, just making his stomach feel funny. "Yeah, it'll do that to ya, buddy."

High point of the day? The literal high point of the park, top of Kingda Ka with the kiddo, as we got buzzed by a low flying commercial airliner. Getting launched up and seeing that thing pass over you super close was probably the coolest experience I've ever had on Ka and definitely made one hell of a memory for him.

Next best thing? Wonder Woman. I've rode a bunch of these Zamperla pendulums at this point but this might just be my favorite. The height and speed this thing gets is absolutely insane. It's gonna be a must-ride every single time for me. Meanwhile, as we were getting thrown back and forth on that, we unfortunately saw riders stopped in mid-air on Cyborg Cyber Spin. Yeah, we skipped that one.

We were in a hurry and didn't want to wait in line at ride access to get him measured up for a wristband, and that came back to bite us in the ass at both Twister and Nitro, where the height measurement sticks didn't match up with anything else throughout the day. Literally zero problems at any of the other major coasters, yet at Twister and Nitro, instead of bonking him on the head, it swished through his hair. We skipped Twister. Fought for Nitro, and got a good measurement using the stick at the ride exit instead of at the airgates, and thankfully a supervisor saw reason and let us on. Too bad we got the shaky train, he didn't end up liking it nearly as much as I had hyped it up for him. Oh well.

Overall though, with it being our first trip of the year, I'm not really in any hurry to get back. Honestly at this point the entire Six Flags experience is just kind of sour after going to more Cedar Fair parks and independent places like Knoebels and Morey's Piers. I'm sure I'll be back for Holiday in the Park, even though half of the park is closed it still feels like it's got more magic left in it, as opposed to a humid 90 degree day where we're just sweating around from ride to ride.

It must have been really fun watching your kid ride all of the big rides.

As in an earlier TR, I feel the same way about SF. But, like you said, they really do shine during HITP. It's one of the things SF does really well.

I was the park yesterday as well and while it was a great visit, operations were much worse than in past visits. I’ve always found Great Adventure to have terrific ops so this unfortunate. Tons of stacking on Toro, Skull Mountain, and Bizarro (I know this isn’t unusual for Bizarro). Also, on my one ride on Kingda Ka, they were only sending one train in between Zumanjaro cycles even if the train behind it was all ready to before Zumie finished loading. Very unfortunate because Great Adventure’s operations are usually outstanding by SF standards.

I just found out about the Haunted Mansion incident... Wow. Is there anything on the land occupied by where the Haunted Mansion was, today? If it's where I think it was, I seem to remember just a patch of trees.

Haunted Castle was located approximately where Cyborg is now.

Haunted Castle was located approximately where Cyborg is now.

Yep, pretty much. You can see it here on the 1984 park map (year of the accident) in the corner by the theater:

You can also see it here on this satellite image from 1979:

129126833_8-13-20193-47-47PM.png.12f3dd07bfdb4e4525b958f89b768ece.png

Courtesy of HistoricAerials.com (obvs)

Compare that to present day:

1663908562_8-13-20194-21-28PM.png.0786ced8290ab664a898b3eaba3b8169.png

For a while the park had a walkthrough gardens area in the location, but then that was turned into the Autobahn bumper cars:

Yeah. SFNE has some fan girl losing it over a niche DC Comics character

So Cyborg's voice doesn't get you all hot and bothered?

She’s flipping out over “Grid” whoever that is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grid is the evil version of Cyborg. And his voice in Cyborg Hyper Drive has me losing it again...

I believe it was along the path that that was frequently closed goes from the Big Wheel towards Justice League. It least I remember hearing stories of sounds coming from disabled speakers in that area at night.

My recollection (from looking at past photos and such) was the Haunted Mansion was located where the Autobahn Bumper Cars were in Old Country (which is northeast of where Cyborg is now)

So thought I was going to be in Pittsburgh the weekend of Oct. 18-20 but turns out I'm going to be in Philly during the 25-28 weekend, which works out great since I've never been to SF GADV. I've got a Six Flags membership so that will be fine. Looking at going the Friday Oct. 25. Should I expect some big lines? Really as long as I can get on the big three or four coasters there I'll be happy.

It's peak Fright Fest season at that point, so yea, crowds will suck hardcore. Going on Friday may marginally help, but that hasn't always been the case in recent years. If you're cool with just doing El Toro, Nitro, and Kingda Ka, that should be achievable, but plan for lines. Like, stretching-out-of-the-queue-and-wrapped-around-the-side-of-the-coaster lines.

Maybe marginally, especially since you're visiting during the day, but it's still peak Fright Fest season at one of the busiest parks. I'd just start budgeting for Flash Pass now and save yourself some of the headache.

I think the highlighted C's are supposed to indicate that it's a coaster of some sort. Not only that, a two track coaster since it is two C's. I think it'll be dueling raptors. I think that if it was a dueling Premier coaster like WCR, then it would be a DC theme to bring back nostalgia of Batman and Robin: The Chiller.