TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I just hope that while they're waiting on the part, they take the time to give the trains the refurbishment they need, buuut, I don't have my hopes too high on that one. Also I saw on Sunday that the orange train on Twisted Colossus was taken off the tracks which means it's off to refurbishment and we should see the green train back any day now. What's weird to me though is Scream got it's third train back from a huge refurbishment a couple months ago, yet they're still running one train operations on it.

I've heard unofficially that Scream will be running 1 train for at least a year. This I don't understand...

So we looking at a Fright Fest opening for WCR??

No, by this point, a November opening would be optimistic.

Once the last track piece is in, give it at least 2-3 months for electrical installation, ride PLC programming, and testing. Considering this coaster has 4 launches, I would say 3 months is being hopeful.

A couple of quick WCR update pics. I’d say the track’s about 80% complete. There’s a little shop thing there now pre-selling junk. I’m not one for theme park couture, but they have t-shirts and flip flops and other items for those who care. Just saw someone puke with gusto on Tatsu’s brake run. Also, Crazanity seems to be busted. The moose out front said it’d probably be down for the rest of the day.

A6F6AA0C-3ADE-4FB9-A1DF-4953BB5DBB5D.thumb.jpeg.4f85b18c6a7f2caa2f40d610989bf2e1.jpeg

F8F16505-2195-46FC-9900-5F5ACE2628D2.thumb.jpeg.ef2bbc8bd9d66cbd00b7f8f9b8c12d7a.jpeg

B91DB5F9-CD37-4FFA-85F5-67C7D37499BB.thumb.jpeg.f0ec135adf5a6ed6095c412dd9c46b7e.jpeg

A1B758D7-037A-463A-B3F2-427569C33F79.thumb.jpeg.5834b193424a37b1ff51c2410f62a73f.jpeg

6CC10E32-1C8E-4B9A-B397-B825799ECF94.thumb.jpeg.7513893495af8bb0ff4f05dfeb55bc9e.jpeg

7F4960C3-EAD9-41FC-AA92-B071C9A40EE8.thumb.jpeg.ee92777ba4171fd9aedc958b38b6ae46.jpeg

87D28D2F-ED9B-4360-A5FC-49959913F511.thumb.jpeg.5d4cea1445133934fc8bef94512a0d6a.jpeg

A35C30DA-EA66-49BC-99C0-5165871A6E21.thumb.jpeg.e5ba8cf1f2ee1d780da5db2a8b65f7fa.jpeg

6DFC4DE9-ED2F-4516-9F74-766BDB3CA8D6.thumb.jpeg.460209197c8baa6b0aa8a618733bb056.jpeg

^Yea, that store has been there for awhile. I've heard rumors that it maybe becoming a membership lounge.

the membership lounge is going to be the last building. the one you used to exit from apocalypse through. i forget if they said anything about that building being anything different than what it is now.

X2 is back open by the way. Beware though, the seat rotations have become extremely jerky. Damn thing almost just knocked me the hell out!

Wait was it down? Hows it been in general? I'm going back to CA for the first time in 6 years if X2 is down again I will be piiiiised.

X2 is back open by the way. Beware though, the seat rotations have become extremely jerky. Damn thing almost just knocked me the hell out!

Wait was it down? Hows it been in general? I'm going back to CA for the first time in 6 years if X2 is down again I will be piiiiised.

It was down for a little over 2 weeks. From what I heard, a part broke on it and they had to wait for a new one to come in

I have a love/hate relationship with drop towers; the drops rarely bother me but the ascent / suspension on the tower can really freak me out. I often skip Lex Luther as I find the drop oddly tame, but also because I find the tower and ride system terrifying (even though I’ve ridden it a lot). I have an irrational fear of the track somehow peeling off the tower or the mechanism failing to release resulting in me getting stuck up there and in need of some dramatic rescue involving a massive ladder. I jumped on it today as I won’t be back to the park for a while and, what do you know, it got stuck at the top.

I’m sure this is common and plenty of folks here have experienced it, but I wonder if anyone knows the mechanics of what happened? Superman rocked the tower right as the mechanism released (after the recorded audio), but the car didn’t drop (it just did that little pre-drop bounce it does). We were stuck up there for about 15 minutes with the ride ops communicating through the speakers. Once the mechanics arrived, they were able to drop the car as normal after giving us a warning. The ops gave everyone a free skip-the-line pass (which I used on TC as the line was bad due to one of the train being in pieces). It was super windy and wobbly up there, and they thankfully stopped launching Superman. Needless to say, my anxiety was either cured or made much worse. My guess is that there’s more than one release on the lifting mechanism and the system stopped one from releasing (a magnet?) We could hear the pulley system start moving at one point, but it seemed like it was just resetting or something rather than working to release us. Never again! Well, until next time!

Was it a ride later in the day? I find as the day goes on it gets rougher and rougher. I am also assuming you were riding back row like any good enthusiast that doesn't want to be thrashed around does.

It was down for a little over 2 weeks. From what I heard, a part broke on it and they had to wait for a new one to come in

Oh thats not too bad then. I was afraid maybe it was having multi month long issues.

Generally the ride has been running though?

Also I have decided I will go on a weekday. I hear 1 train ops may make it hard to marathon but the park will be so dead from all I hear...I'll take the risk and go with less crowds.

I loved Lex Luthor and the ascent is part of the thrill for me. It is fairly terrifying, esp when you hear and feel the rumble than start swaying (way more than it feels like you should). If it was just an up and drop it'd be more meh imo but that's scary as hell. Sorry that happened.

Was it a ride later in the day? I find as the day goes on it gets rougher and rougher. I am also assuming you were riding back row like any good enthusiast that doesn't want to be thrashed around does.

That's good to know, early in the day recommended then? Never having ridden I have no idea...is back row best for X2?

I loved Lex Luthor and the ascent is part of the thrill for me. It is fairly terrifying, esp when you hear and feel the rumble than start swaying (way more than it feels like you should). If it was just an up and drop it'd be more meh imo but that's scary as hell. Sorry that happened.

It certainly is freakier than other drop rides. Supreme Scream, for example, has none of that same effect on me because it feels like a more robust structure and the gondolas hug the track. Lex Luther is way more wobbly and creaky and open. So, yeah, this experience was less than pleasant. It could have been worse, I suppose, and we could have been stuck up there longer with a more serious issue.

Ops were solid today with two trains on pretty much everything. Only Scream and TC were struggling it seemed (I've never seen a line for Scream, but there's been one the last two times I've visited). Oddly, Goliath maintained about a 3-train wait for much of the afternoon, even when other rides were seeing hefty lines. I watched a rider in front of me pass out and flop around, not on the helix but on the first drop and throughout the ride. She was pretty anxious while boarding, asking ops to check her restraint multiple times.

I went yesterday too and had a great time. Aside from Scream and Twisted Colossus running on reduced capacity, everything else was running multiple trains and had minimal waits. Probably the best Sunday I've ever had at the park. I rode every major coaster in the park plus Lex Luthor and CraZanity (before it closed later in the day).

I won't be back until November at the earliest, so I'm hoping my next ride there will be West Coast Racers. Speaking of which, aside from the dueling zero-g rolls and a small section after that, the track is basically complete.

Apologies if in the wrong place - we are planning to visit SFMM on the 27th August from the UK.

Should we look to buy the Fastpass for this day in advance? Getting conflicting websites saying it’ll be empty to it could be rammed (as if a quiet day they reduce all the capacity on coasters)

Apologies if in the wrong place - we are planning to visit SFMM on the 27th August from the UK.

Should we look to buy the Fastpass for this day in advance? Getting conflicting websites saying it’ll be empty to it could be rammed (as if a quiet day they reduce all the capacity on coasters)

Tuesdays are pretty light, you should be fine without one.

I also just want to mention that I had an awesome front row ride on Riddler last Sunday. It still runs remarkably well and is one of my favorite B&M loopers out there, if not my favorite.

I'm not a fan of stand-ups at all and I'm not particularly into B&M loopers — especially when it feels like a ride is just a catalog of stock elements. I rode it in the front on Sunday as well and it was indeed good. The last few times I've ridden it, it's boxed my ears in pretty bad, but not this time.

I just hope that while they're waiting on the part, they take the time to give the trains the refurbishment they need, buuut, I don't have my hopes too high on that one.

You gotta understand, it's A LOT of work for the already overworked mechanics at the park to take a train apart like X2, haul it to the complete other corner of the park (where the refurb shed is), have the entire train refurbished, then hauled all the way back to the other side of the park to be placed back on the track. This isn't Disney efficiency we're talking about, it's a tough job! And they're dealing with very heavy cars that they have to be extremely careful with!

One thing about Magic Mountain (Six Flags) most people don't get, is they keep adding coasters and rides that need daily maintenance, but they DON'T increase the number of mechanics needed to operate all the coasters proportionately. So, they do what they can with what they have, and the spaces they have to work backstage with are literally the same they've been for decades.

When a ride like X2 goes down for parts, or Apocalypse goes down due to a new ride addition, the mechanics take a sigh of relief as that is a LITERAL break from having to inspect/upkeep the ride for a couple weeks/months/years.

This is not a Magic Mountain specific issue, this really is corporate decisions squeezing everything they can out of the personnel who IMO really are already underpaid and work their butts off.

As shared NUMEROUS times in this thread over countless years, the park/Six Flags needs to drop this coaster/ride addition crap like 10 years ago, and really focus on what they have and maintaining THAT up to quality standards. The park/corporate refuses to do so and therefore things fall behind, get delayed and half assed, and you see the same issues repeating themselves and snowballing into a lot of what we see at the park today.