TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^ I have to disagree. The ride has typical downtime for a prototype but it’s uniqueness and fact that it’s the only launch coaster in the area makes it a favorite of park guests. They don’t fill the station, which only happens on that coaster and Tantrum which makes the line look a lot longer than it really is.

Down the ramp if they’re running it with no problems takes about 3 cycles or 10 minutes-ish which is not that bad at all for a ride like that. It’s remote location probably helps keep the line short(er). I’d imagine if it ends up on a main midway or something that could change.

At this point I can’t imagine they’d want to remove a coaster if they can salvage it in any way. The thing has never been SBNO for too long and it is usually open at this point (with the occasional hiccups that you’d expect).

Not sure why removing it altogether would even be a thought at this point to be honest.

Honestly i’d be scared to know how that line would be if it was moved into a more prime location at the park. That line always seems to move slow as molasses when I’m there. Slow ride ops combined with one 12-seat train causes total shot capacity. Leave it somewhere in the back of the park so it’s still ride-able.

Is there any chance that it would fit in the galaxy theater building? It would be a chance for them to theme it and promote it as a new ride. If not it could easily fit where the go karts currently are

I just can’t see that happening. It would be pretty cool, especially with some cool lighting and sound effects themed to a night street race or something. I mean, it would be a HUGE cost for a park like DL. Also, it was mentioned earlier that they are adding a fourth haunted house. They use that building for one, and now especially with another I can’t see where they’d fit all 4 houses for fright fest by losing their biggest available space. But that would really be awesome to see!

Was anybody in the haunted house inside the old batman theatre? They could fit the same haunted house in the Magic Show theatre if they wanted to. What a waste. But the only thing that would make Motocoaster a nice ride, would be turning it into a dark ride. Motocoaster and Tantrum are terribly undersized for Darien Lake. But I guess most parks around the country are building smaller coasters. I still wouldn't shed a tear if they moved Motocoaster across the street in the ride grave yard.

I think what people are most frustrated with is that DL never seem to add anything major anymore. In the late 90’s/new millennium, DL unveiled the Mind Eraser, the Ride of Steel and the Boomerang. They really haven’t added anything of substance since. Heck, DL was once featured on the Travel Channel. It’s been about 20 years since the last major edition to DL. We all know DL doesn’t have it like Ceder Point, Kings Island, Canada’s Wonderland and others, but DL should be adding bigger rides than Seabreeze and Fantasy Island.

And to the poster that said that a new coat of paint won’t detour slobs from vandalizing DL. Yes and no. If DL took more pride in their park, it will rub off on the guest. You don’t think there’s slobs that come into Disney World? Even DL can afford to paint over vandalism.

I am going to throw two things out there. First they could easily move MotoCoaster and everyone seems to forget all the land past ROS to route 77. They could move it there and retheme it to some super hero motorcycle chase and rename ROS back to superman. Add a used flat ride and a food stand and you have the makings of a DC Universe section.

Also, it appears some of the other SF parks are starting to creatively drop hints for next year. SFFT has a phone number that gets updated weekly. SFNE put something on their theater marquee saying 252 with 082919 which is the date of the chain wide announcements. Just be on the lookout for subtle yet creative hints around the park

In other news, if you look at the Fright Fest page on Darien Lake's event page, it shows the original 3 mazes/walkthroughs we had last season, but also a new one called Corridors of Chaos.

I wonder if theyre doing one like Cornstalkers at CP using Grizzly Run

So they use their rapids ride's queue as a maze?

Just thinking that if they were to do that, that's in a children's area, don't think that would be a good idea..

No, CP uses their version of Grizzly Run as a corn maze. The trough where the rafts and water usually are is drained and lined with corn stalks. Fright Fest isnt a kids oriented event anyways so who cares if its normally a family area.

Hi! I'm matt and I have grown up going to Darien Lake every year since I was born. I have been following this forum off and on for a while now and finally decided to jump in myself today. I was wondering, does anyone know if UFO is still in storage by that barn and silo thing on property or did they scrap it?

Just thinking that if they were to do that, that's in a children's area, don't think that would be a good idea..

No, CP uses their version of Grizzly Run as a corn maze. The trough where the rafts and water usually are is drained and lined with corn stalks. Fright Fest isnt a kids oriented event anyways so who cares if its normally a family area.

Grizz is in that section that as fully blocked off last year during Fright Fest. Rowdy’s ridge and Mind Eraser were all closed, so unless they were to find a way of having enough workers to keep that area open, not sure if they’d want to do that.

Grizz is in that section that as fully blocked off last year during Fright Fest. Rowdy’s ridge and Mind Eraser were all closed, so unless they were to find a way of having enough workers to keep that area open, not sure if they’d want to do that.

They could just open that area up for the haunt, and have the rides closed... have scare actors walking around the area leading up to the haunt.

Simple to block off between Sleighride and Campfire Grill. Especially if they use the normal Viper exit vs. the Galaxy Theater exit.

Hi! I'm matt and I have grown up going to Darien Lake every year since I was born. I have been following this forum off and on for a while now and finally decided to jump in myself today. I was wondering, does anyone know if UFO is still in storage by that barn and silo thing on property or did they scrap it?

dnn would be the one with the answer to that.

I think what people are most frustrated with is that DL never seem to add anything major anymore. In the late 90’s/new millennium, DL unveiled the Mind Eraser, the Ride of Steel and the Boomerang. They really haven’t added anything of substance since.

And it worked out real well for Six Flags going bankrupt the first time around. I thought Boom and Mind Eraser were supposed to be derided as standard 90's SF cookie cutter coasters, anyways.

And 'nothing of substance': two new roller coasters, a new water park area, and a number of flat rides.

Edit: three coasters. Forgot Rolling Thunder.

It would be interesting to know how much it would cost to move it in its current state. The thing has looked as if it were a temporary install since 2008 when it opened

The original plan I believe was for it to be temporary for 3-5 years and then PARC wanted to move it to a different park while putting something else there. At about that age some of the major cost items like the launch cable would be due and it could then be defrayed tax-wise as the capital improvement at its new park.