Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

P. 954 - Wahoo Wave Coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 15 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Postby Haymaker » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:26 pm

DarienPoint wrote:^ What do you mean "using Grizzly Run?"

I havent seen it firsthand, but my understanding is they line the trough with cornstalks to make it a pseudo maze.

Postby DarienPoint » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:04 pm

So they use their rapids ride's queue as a maze?

Just thinking that if they were to do that, that's in a children's area, don't think that would be a good idea..
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 100 || Parks: 16
100th Coaster: Comet @ TGE :b
Top 10: 1. Superman the Ride | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Millennium Force | 4. Maverick | 5. Leviathan | 6. Goliath (La Ronde) | 7. Kingda Ka | 8. Behemoth | 9. Bizzaro | 10. El Toro

Postby Haymaker » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:07 pm

DarienPoint wrote:So they use their rapids ride's queue as a maze?

Just thinking that if they were to do that, that's in a children's area, don't think that would be a good idea..

No, CP uses their version of Grizzly Run as a corn maze. The trough where the rafts and water usually are is drained and lined with corn stalks. Fright Fest isnt a kids oriented event anyways so who cares if its normally a family area.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby mzehler » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 pm

Hi! I'm matt and I have grown up going to Darien Lake every year since I was born. I have been following this forum off and on for a while now and finally decided to jump in myself today. I was wondering, does anyone know if UFO is still in storage by that barn and silo thing on property or did they scrap it?

Postby rjr19 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Haymaker wrote:

No, CP uses their version of Grizzly Run as a corn maze. The trough where the rafts and water usually are is drained and lined with corn stalks. Fright Fest isnt a kids oriented event anyways so who cares if its normally a family area.

Grizz is in that section that as fully blocked off last year during Fright Fest. Rowdy’s ridge and Mind Eraser were all closed, so unless they were to find a way of having enough workers to keep that area open, not sure if they’d want to do that.
Six Flags Darien Lake is my home park..... :?r

CURRENT COASTER COUNT: 63 ....yeah I need to go to more parks lol

TOP 10: 1.) Steel Vengeance, 2.) Millennium Force, 3.) Leviathan, 4.) Mako, 5.) Behemoth, 6.) Maverick, 7.) Top Thrill Dragster, 8.) Ride of Steel, 9.) Yukon Striker, 10.) Valravn

Postby DarienPoint » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:36 pm

rjr19 wrote:
Haymaker wrote:

Grizz is in that section that as fully blocked off last year during Fright Fest. Rowdy’s ridge and Mind Eraser were all closed, so unless they were to find a way of having enough workers to keep that area open, not sure if they’d want to do that.

They could just open that area up for the haunt, and have the rides closed... have scare actors walking around the area leading up to the haunt.
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 100 || Parks: 16
100th Coaster: Comet @ TGE :b
Top 10: 1. Superman the Ride | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Millennium Force | 4. Maverick | 5. Leviathan | 6. Goliath (La Ronde) | 7. Kingda Ka | 8. Behemoth | 9. Bizzaro | 10. El Toro

Postby Haymaker » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 pm

rjr19 wrote:
Haymaker wrote:

Simple to block off between Sleighride and Campfire Grill. Especially if they use the normal Viper exit vs. the Galaxy Theater exit.

Postby Haymaker » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:15 pm

mzehler wrote:Hi! I'm matt and I have grown up going to Darien Lake every year since I was born. I have been following this forum off and on for a while now and finally decided to jump in myself today. I was wondering, does anyone know if UFO is still in storage by that barn and silo thing on property or did they scrap it?

dnn would be the one with the answer to that.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby dnn2031 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:51 am

BWALL004 wrote:I think what people are most frustrated with is that DL never seem to add anything major anymore. In the late 90’s/new millennium, DL unveiled the Mind Eraser, the Ride of Steel and the Boomerang. They really haven’t added anything of substance since.

And it worked out real well for Six Flags going bankrupt the first time around. I thought Boom and Mind Eraser were supposed to be derided as standard 90's SF cookie cutter coasters, anyways. :p

And 'nothing of substance': two new roller coasters, a new water park area, and a number of flat rides.

Edit: three coasters. Forgot Rolling Thunder. :lmao:

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby dnn2031 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:23 am

SbSteveZ wrote:It would be interesting to know how much it would cost to move it in its current state. The thing has looked as if it were a temporary install since 2008 when it opened

The original plan I believe was for it to be temporary for 3-5 years and then PARC wanted to move it to a different park while putting something else there. At about that age some of the major cost items like the launch cable would be due and it could then be defrayed tax-wise as the capital improvement at its new park.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!