Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 632 - Mystic River Falls Announced for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby DILinator » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:33 pm

thedlr wrote:So what's the tallest in the world? I'm having trouble figuring that one out.

Yes, this is what has me perplexed as well! I know when it was announced, Infinity Falls claimed to be the tallest in the world, and this is taller than that. Has a new one opened since then, or is opening next year? Inquiring minds want to know! :lol:

Love this addition though! I still haven't been able to make it out to SDC, but I'm glad this will be there whenever I do! I'm not usually a fan of Rapids Rides, but I liked the one at Animal Kingdom because of the drop, so I'm excited about Infinity Falls and this as well. Such a beautiful looking park! Can't wait to get out there someday!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:16 pm

I was told today that nobody is really sure, since Intamin wouldn’t release details of what they’re doing in China, but supposedly there is a rapids ride being built there as well that may very well be taller.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:27 pm

That would make sense, especially if it will open before Mystic River Falls does.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:40 pm

^^When I saw the press release I immediately assumed it must be some weird Chinese project that will take the title this or next year!

Postby DILinator » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:12 pm

^That was my thought as well, especially after not being able to turn up any info on anything right off the bat. Thanks, RollerManic for the response!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:42 pm

Wow...super excited for this! I LOVE rapids rides, so this is very exciting news.

Can't wait to check it out in 2020!

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby sdcfan88 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:02 pm

I was at the announcement ceremony and did the tour of the construction site. Very impressive for a river rapids ride. I do like the landscaping/theming/scenery/etc quite a lot from whats been done so far. This will indeed be a huge hit with the park like Outlaw Run and Time Traveler were. I expect the lines will be pretty crazy and long for this thing like how Lost River was. lol The ride basically combines elements from the American Plunge, Waterboggan, and Lost River.

FULL ALBUM HERE

Videos:

You might notice lots of rock work and several decently sized trees have been planted and even some waterfall elements have already been made operational for part of the ambience that this area will create. Huge kudos to the park management and construction crew on what I have seen so far.

Further up towards The Barn Swing I checked out the canals and the pits that were already constructed but was told to overall stay outside the structures. Got lots of photos and video. Also chatted with some of the construction crew while out there, I asked about Lake Silver and was told by one of the foreman that the new lake size will be reduced by almost 75 percent from before but it will be about 25-30 feet deep when they get done with it and its refilled. I suggested they should put some Koi or some kind of fish back in it to entertain the kids while they wait in line as the queue line will be right next to the "new" lake as the load station will be in the center of where the old lake once was. lol

Also note the huge pits dug out for the canals, reservoir, and the drop tower structure which will be over 80 feet high and the pumps on this thing are insane, 200,000 gallons per hour per pump is what I was told. That's a crazy amount of water if you think about it, but I guess that's needed for what all this ride experience will entail. Standing down there in the bottom really gives you a sense of scale of this water ride. The ride's capacity will be upgraded from 6 to 8 persons along with a faster load/unload system and will last 5 and a half minutes over a half mile ride course equaling a much higher PPH than the old Lost River ever did.

Only negative/critique I could come up with is to the theme/backstory being tied to the cave as I guess I was a bit let down as I had originally envisioned with the cave teasers that this was gonna be a mountain type structure with the slide element dropping into the mouth of a fabricated cave (see the entrance to the real Marvel Cave to understand my thoughts here) for an extensive indoor segment similar to how the last 25% of Lost River's course was. But I guess with the areas combined investment being more than Time Traveler, that kind of design would probably be too cost prohibitive. One can dream, right? lol Don't take this the wrong way or that I am implying that this seems underwhelming, I still think this will be incredibly beautiful to see in person and a very fun and thrilling ride once it is all said and done next year.
IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0455.JPG
IMG_0458.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0525.JPG
Last edited by sdcfan88 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:17 am.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:43 pm

I'm loving it so far! It looks fantastic!
Coaster Count: 108
Check out my latest project: Six Flags Cypress Adventures
HARD ROCK PARK Coming to Chaos Crafter 2019!!

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:58 pm

sdcfan88 wrote:Only negative/critique I could come up with is to the theme/backstory being tied to the cave as I guess I was a bit let down as I had originally envisioned with the cave teasers that this was gonna be a mountain type structure with the slide element dropping into the mouth of a fabricated cave (see the entrance to the real Marvel Cave to understand my thoughts here) for an extensive indoor segment similar to how the last 25% of Lost River's course was. But I guess with the areas combined investment being more than Time Traveler, that kind of design would probably be too cost prohibitive. One can dream, right? lol Don't take this the wrong way or that I am implying that this seems underwhelming, I still think this will be incredibly beautiful to see in person and a very fun and thrilling ride once it is all said and done next.

I’m glad I didn’t have to be the first to say this. These were my EXACT thoughts today. I envisioned more of a “cave exploration/adventure theme like the original vs. a cave mining company. There is only one enclosed section and it’s very small. I am incredibly excited for the ride, do not get me wrong! I just find the thematic choice odd.

Also, while the lake is smaller, this time you’ll be right in the middle of it and so it’ll feel more immersive - at least that’s how I felt after standing where the station will be today. You’re going to really feel surrounded by water this time.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:16 am

Good to see they're going to have a 40" minimum. Lost River was 36", and I was concerned this new one would be higher, like along the lines of Fury of the Nile's 46". While SDC does have a significant number of families with kids in the 36-39" range, I feel like this minimum height shows the park made a great effort to make the ride as accessible as possible.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!