Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 984: Boogie Board Racer & Grand Carnivale announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:52 am

Sounds like it was just intended to be a fun coaster to fill the void between the garbage coasters and their three great intense coasters. Seems like it did the trick, honestly.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby carowindsman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:16 am

AndrewA86 wrote:
JJLehto wrote:
That said the ride was still my #4 at the park. Honestly after that it's a big drop off. Everything else was meh at best. So I deff feel CS was a great addition. They needed something else outside their strong top 3. Even Intimidator surprised me. I generally didn't hear much about it and when so people seemed dismissive, I got lots of solid air, even a moment or two where I "felt" the ride! Low expectations, but I enjoyed it. Afterburn was great as I heard. Only reason I didn't ride it a ton more was 1 train ops and the line while small was always like 30 mins. Fury was often 5 at tops so it was more worth marathoning that!

Yeah CS is definitely #4 in the park because of the huge drop off. And when I go back I'll ride it as long as the line isn't longer than 15 min. I'm just really curious as to what the park was trying to accomplish with CS. Was it intended to be a high thrill coaster or a mild coaster? Seems to me it was the former. If true IMO it's not a good addition.

Copperhead was never meant to be a thrill/intense ride it is has always been a family thrill coaster. It fills a void that Vortex, Cyclone, Hurler and Flying Cobra can not.

Postby DILinator » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:09 am

prozach626 wrote:Sounds like it was just intended to be a fun coaster to fill the void between the garbage coasters and their three great intense coasters. Seems like it did the trick, honestly.

Yeah, I have not personally been on it, but from afar, this is my take on it as well. I think it looks fun, and I look forward to riding it whenever I get back out there! But my expectations have also been managed, and I'll appreciate it for what it is. I think the issue is that when it was announced, a lot of enthusiasts thought it looked more intense, and were maybe expecting something like Helix or Maverick. Instead, they got a much milder coaster, leading to anticipointment. That's on them, not the park, and I agree that it was a great addition for the park, and complements their top 3 well. Heck, personally, it may still be as high as #2 in the park for me when I get around to riding it, since Intimidator is my least favorite B&M Hyper, and while I enjoy Afterburn, I don't like it nearly as much as most enthusiasts it seems. CS looks fun, and honestly, having fun, not craving intensity, is why I ride coasters!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:16 am

Ya'll are crazy. Copperhead Strike is totally awesome and fits in Carowinds' lineup absolutely perfectly. It's smooth, it has some surprisingly strong airtime, great hang time, comfortable restraints, a very well-themed ride area and queue line, and great operations (when I was there in late June). I cannot imagine how somebody can complain about this ride and how it fits in at Carowinds.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:29 am

prozach626 wrote:Sounds like it was just intended to be a fun coaster to fill the void between the garbage coasters and their three great intense coasters. Seems like it did the trick, honestly.

For sure, and no doubt it does exactly that.

Still doesn't mean some of us can't be a little let down/found it lackluster, but true it does what it was intended do and superbly. I wasn't being sarcastic, it deff was needed for the park. There's such a steep drop between those 3 and the rest. So it's a great filler no doubt. I don't dispute its fit for the park, and I agree it's extremely comfy and yes it does have some strong ejector moments. It aint bad, quite the opposite it's a fun good ride. Just eh...thank goodness it does have all those upsides, otherwise it'd be very disappointing
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:04 pm

thrillseeker4552 wrote: I cannot imagine how somebody can complain about this ride and how it fits in at Carowinds.

Have you considered the fact that you're on a roller coaster enthusiast website?

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby WolfBobs » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:17 pm

boldikus wrote:
thrillseeker4552 wrote: I cannot imagine how somebody can complain about this ride and how it fits in at Carowinds.

Have you considered the fact that you're on a roller coaster enthusiast website?

A hobby full of people who complain about rides that haven't even been officially announced or built yet...

Postby prozach626 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:59 pm

Yep. At least it won't suck as bad as KI's giga will.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby AndrewA86 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:14 pm

carowindsman wrote:
AndrewA86 wrote:
JJLehto wrote:
Copperhead was never meant to be a thrill/intense ride it is has always been a family thrill coaster. It fills a void that Vortex, Cyclone, Hurler and Flying Cobra can not.

That's not exactly how they were promoting it.

https://www.carowinds.com/media-center/083018-carowinds-makes-bold-strike-with-biggest-investment-to-date

From the article...

"Copperhead Strike simulates the harrowing chase of getaway cars racing through rolling farmland, sending riders on two launches through a relentless winding ride over half a mile of steel."

"in this innovative ride, the coaster dynamics are carefully crafted to offer a thrilling and intense low-to-the-ground experience."

"They then go into a lightning fast launch to a 360° loop, the second of five inversions, moving into a series of near-miss twists, turns and flips. Without slowing down, the ride launches a second time to accelerate into a memorable hang time loop, leaving passengers breathless and wondering which way is up."

They use the words: relentless, thrilling, intense, lightning fast, and breathless. So it sounds like they were trying to sell us on a thrill/intense ride to me

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:17 pm

AndrewA86 wrote:
They use the words: relentless, thrilling, intense, lightning fast, and breathless. So it sounds like they were trying to sell us on a thrill/intense ride to me

Guy, it's all subjective. To the vast majority of theme park goers Copperhead fits that to a tea. If you're a well traveled park visitor and you took that literally expecting i305 or Skyrush you played yourself.

Also you're quoting a press release. They're not going to say 'This coaster has decent speed, gives you mild tummy tickles, and goes upside down and has 2 launches but don't let that trick you into thinking it's our Maverick' :lol:
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!