The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: DJeXeL and 14 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:57 pm

X2 is working today.

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:32 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with drop towers; the drops rarely bother me but the ascent / suspension on the tower can really freak me out. I often skip Lex Luther as I find the drop oddly tame, but also because I find the tower and ride system terrifying (even though I’ve ridden it a lot). I have an irrational fear of the track somehow peeling off the tower or the mechanism failing to release resulting in me getting stuck up there and in need of some dramatic rescue involving a massive ladder. I jumped on it today as I won’t be back to the park for a while and, what do you know, it got stuck at the top.

I’m sure this is common and plenty of folks here have experienced it, but I wonder if anyone knows the mechanics of what happened? Superman rocked the tower right as the mechanism released (after the recorded audio), but the car didn’t drop (it just did that little pre-drop bounce it does). We were stuck up there for about 15 minutes with the ride ops communicating through the speakers. Once the mechanics arrived, they were able to drop the car as normal after giving us a warning. The ops gave everyone a free skip-the-line pass (which I used on TC as the line was bad due to one of the train being in pieces). It was super windy and wobbly up there, and they thankfully stopped launching Superman. Needless to say, my anxiety was either cured or made much worse. My guess is that there’s more than one release on the lifting mechanism and the system stopped one from releasing (a magnet?) We could hear the pulley system start moving at one point, but it seemed like it was just resetting or something rather than working to release us. Never again! Well, until next time!

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Kylis » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:53 pm

TatsuXtreme wrote:X2 is back open by the way. Beware though, the seat rotations have become extremely jerky. Damn thing almost just knocked me the hell out!

Was it a ride later in the day? I find as the day goes on it gets rougher and rougher. I am also assuming you were riding back row like any good enthusiast that doesn't want to be thrashed around does.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:54 pm

TatsuXtreme wrote:
JJLehto wrote:
TatsuXtreme wrote:X2 is back open by the way. Beware though, the seat rotations have become extremely jerky. Damn thing almost just knocked me the hell out!

Wait was it down? Hows it been in general? I'm going back to CA for the first time in 6 years if X2 is down again I will be piiiiised.

It was down for a little over 2 weeks. From what I heard, a part broke on it and they had to wait for a new one to come in

Oh thats not too bad then. I was afraid maybe it was having multi month long issues.
Generally the ride has been running though?

Also I have decided I will go on a weekday. I hear 1 train ops may make it hard to marathon but the park will be so dead from all I hear...I'll take the risk and go with less crowds.

I loved Lex Luthor and the ascent is part of the thrill for me. It is fairly terrifying, esp when you hear and feel the rumble than start swaying (way more than it feels like you should). If it was just an up and drop it'd be more meh imo but that's scary as hell. Sorry that happened.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Kylis wrote:

Was it a ride later in the day? I find as the day goes on it gets rougher and rougher. I am also assuming you were riding back row like any good enthusiast that doesn't want to be thrashed around does.

That's good to know, early in the day recommended then? Never having ridden I have no idea...is back row best for X2?
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:06 pm

JJLehto wrote:I loved Lex Luthor and the ascent is part of the thrill for me. It is fairly terrifying, esp when you hear and feel the rumble than start swaying (way more than it feels like you should). If it was just an up and drop it'd be more meh imo but that's scary as hell. Sorry that happened.

It certainly is freakier than other drop rides. Supreme Scream, for example, has none of that same effect on me because it feels like a more robust structure and the gondolas hug the track. Lex Luther is way more wobbly and creaky and open. So, yeah, this experience was less than pleasant. It could have been worse, I suppose, and we could have been stuck up there longer with a more serious issue.

Ops were solid today with two trains on pretty much everything. Only Scream and TC were struggling it seemed (I've never seen a line for Scream, but there's been one the last two times I've visited). Oddly, Goliath maintained about a 3-train wait for much of the afternoon, even when other rides were seeing hefty lines. I watched a rider in front of me pass out and flop around, not on the helix but on the first drop and throughout the ride. She was pretty anxious while boarding, asking ops to check her restraint multiple times.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:08 am

I went yesterday too and had a great time. Aside from Scream and Twisted Colossus running on reduced capacity, everything else was running multiple trains and had minimal waits. Probably the best Sunday I've ever had at the park. I rode every major coaster in the park plus Lex Luthor and CraZanity (before it closed later in the day).

I won't be back until November at the earliest, so I'm hoping my next ride there will be West Coast Racers. Speaking of which, aside from the dueling zero-g rolls and a small section after that, the track is basically complete.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Tarnhi18 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:33 am

Apologies if in the wrong place - we are planning to visit SFMM on the 27th August from the UK.
Should we look to buy the Fastpass for this day in advance? Getting conflicting websites saying it’ll be empty to it could be rammed (as if a quiet day they reduce all the capacity on coasters)

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby TatsuXtreme » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:01 am

I'm at the park right now. Does anyone know what's going on with Riddler?
IMG_20190814_105950462_HDR.jpg

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby Bobby2889 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:59 am

Looks like they are changing the lift chain.

PreviousNext