TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Storm Chaser was fun. But probably my least favorite RMC. Lightning Run was awesome. The ejector airtime on the last few hills is almost criminal. That said, if this were my home park, I would move.

Kentucky Flyer is perfect for what it is. The only coaster running two trains Friday.

^^ Excited to ride the Coasters in the Fall night air. Wonder where they will do a Haunted House, they used to have one in the old Picnic pavilions they tore down. Curious to see how this turns out.

Keep in mind that you’ll be losing an hour due to the time zone change going from Holiday World to Kentucky Kingdom! Also, a lot of the queue lines close at least 15 minutes before the posted park closing time in order to “empty out the line” by closing.

Have fun!!!

Thanks. I actually didn't think of that until we were driving over to KK from HW. It was no problem, as we were less than impressed with KK. My daughter, who knows nothing about the parks we visit beforehand (she just gets in the car), said, "This feels like a Six Flags park." We rode all the coasters we wanted to ride once and left. I found the layout of the park a bit weird. And having the water park in the middle of the dry park seemed a little odd.

• 1 month later...

T3 is not as everybody says. I have never had a problem with it. My thighs are very thick from running and just generally working on my feet all the time, and I've never felt any pain from the restraints. I've found that the pacing on this SLC is better than a lot of them. A lot of them really lose a lot of speed in the sidewinder

^ I don't think the restraints are the issue with T3. In fact, I'm thankful the restraints eliminate headbanging.

But the ride tracks so poorly that it felt like I was being repeatedly punched in the back.

Yes, I agree that the tracking is horrible. But that's more of a secondary issue. Personally for me I just can't enjoy the ride due to the stapling thigh crushing. Its an issue on Sky Rush too, so it might have something to do floorless lapbar coasters that get some G-force. I make sure to leave plenty of slack, but the G force just pushes the restraint hard into my thighs.

And then, on top of that, the roughness exacerbates the issue. I feel like with both of these rides, it might be nice to have a lock that locks the restraint in place, kind of like what Top Spins do.

I make sure to leave plenty of slack, but the G force just pushes the restraint hard into my thighs.

I think this is your issue right here.

I have never ridden T3, but I have ridden rides that are notorious for thigh-crushing (Skyrush being the biggest one). I even hear people complain about Mack Rides restraints and Gerstlauer Infinity lap bars crushing them. If you push the lap bar as tight as you can when you load in the train, it won't tighten during the ride.

I think what causes tightening is people leaving tons of room, then the G-forces slamming the restraint way farther down than you could push yourself. If you tighten it yourself at the beginning, you won't have issues.

Again, I have not ridden T3, so maybe that coaster has completely different restraints and I don't know what I'm talking about, but on rides like Skyrush, Copperhead Strike, HangTime, I305/Maverick/Fahrenheit/Storm Runner, etc. that are famous for "thigh crushing," leaving tons of room in the beginning is exactly how you get your thighs crushed. I close the restraint as tight as I can myself in the beginning and have never had a single issue with "thigh crushing" on any of those types of rides.

Just my two cents. Everybody's experience is different, and everybody has different body shapes, so there is no "universal" rule. I just laugh when people complain about thigh crushing but leave tons of room on their restraint in the beginning. That's what causes it in the first place! Sure, not everybody wants a super tight restraint, but tightening it yourself will never be as uncomfortable as the ride doing it for you!

I visited the park last Tuesday (July 30, 2019) so I could get revenge on Lightning Run, plus ride T3, Storm Chaser, and Kentucky Flyer. Scream Extreme was awesome: it could take the place of any old Enterprise ride anytime! The park wasn't crowded and every attraction was a walk up and ride. They only ran four cars on Tin Lizzies, but with the line as light as it was, adding more cars might be overkill. Cyclos wasn't running ( lucky for me I rode a similar ride at Camden park two days earlier). And I won't have any shame to admit that I rode Rawdy Racers - twice. In all, I rode 35 rides before calling it quits.

Again, I have not ridden T3, so maybe that coaster has completely different restraints and I don't know what I'm talking about, but on rides like Skyrush, Copperhead Strike, HangTime, I305/Maverick/Fahrenheit/Storm Runner, etc. that are famous for "thigh crushing," leaving tons of room in the beginning is exactly how you get your thighs crushed. I close the restraint as tight as I can myself in the beginning and have never had a single issue with "thigh crushing" on any of those types of rides.

IDK about you, but I had the opposite experience on Copperhead Strike, where I felt I couldn't get it sufficiently tight and wasn't able to staple myself with the lap bar if I wanted. It seemed to be designed with a limit where the lap bar couldn't be pushed down too hard.

I would try to push it down mid-ride, and it would just ... rise back up to where it initially was set (they're hydraulic restraints, fyi).

T3's restraints are fine, it just tracks like a shopping cart rolling down a flight of stairs.

The thighs of my son, and myself, would beg to differ! Those restraints CRUSHED them by the end of the coaster in a way that would make Skyrush proud! They literally (and I'm a wordsmith - I don't use that word lightly or inappropriately) were going numb as I sat on the break run. Now, if that's not a restraint issue, do enlighten me. But it sure doesn't seem likely to have anything to do with the track! As for the track though, you're 100% accurate in your description of how that is!

Sorry for the double post, but seeing as how this is an entirely different topic, and my last post was 5 days ago, hopefully this will be forgiven!

What have the crowds been like on the weekends at this park lately? I'm thinking of heading down there this weekend, either Saturday or Sunday (or both!), but if it's been a mob scene, I may not bother.

^ I visited on a Sunday earlier this year (early June) and the Sunday of Labor Day weekend last year.

The only lines I saw was a half hour for Lightning Run and T3 due to one train operations. Storm Chaser was a complete walk-on all day.

We were at the park yesterday and it was also very light crowds. Every coaster just running one train. However the only thing that was down that I really wanted to do was the water coaster, too bad.

This was our first time at KK, any other time we were nearby we just didn't have the time to stop for an extra day. Overall we enjoyed the park and I totally respect the owner's efforts to bring it back to life and I think they are succeeding. Too bad that they really don't have the ability to expand coupled with the height restrictions. But everything looked clean and well maintained. Landscaping was lovely, I always notice.

The employees were mostly friendly although we thought it was kind of weird that one of the ride ops at Storm Chaser was publicly stating how she never had ridden the very coaster she worked on and she hated roller coasters because she had only ridden T3 and assumed all coasters were just like that......weird. It was no big deal to us just thought it was kind of strange.

One other kind of funny thing that happened. We went into grab a quick bite to eat around 2:30 at the pizza place near the entrance. It was a low crowd day and an odd time so not surprised that there was only one other group in there. After I ordered and was attempting to pay they could not get the cash register to work. So they told me just don't worry about it, free food congratulations. Ok. Then while we were halfway through our food they came over and told me they had it working and I could pay now. Ok. Of course I didn't argue we did owe them for the food but the guy was kind of cheeky about come pay right now, like I was gonna escape without paying. I mean it was their idea in the first place to let us have the food. I think it was a case of inexperienced teens trying to handle a problem, I didn't see anyone over maybe 20 working in there at all.

One other thing I noticed that I thought was pretty funny. During the last hour before close they switched the classic rock and hip country songs over to American standards with lots of Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bobby Darin etc. Trying to mellow everyone out and get them to quietly make their way home I guess. lol.

Not sure this is a yearly visit for us, we always try to get to HW once a year and of course KK is just a little further down the road. But I will go back when the opportunity presents itself and we have time.

^ I visited on a Sunday earlier this year (early June) and the Sunday of Labor Day weekend last year.

The only lines I saw was a half hour for Lightning Run and T3 due to one train operations. Storm Chaser was a complete walk-on all day.

Thanks for that info, it's helpful!

The Storm Chaser area is an area that they really need to work on, that whole corner area from between Thunder Run and Mile High Falls back to Storm Chaser is pretty empty and is a long walk to get back in that area for two rides and then Eye of the Storm is just kinda out there on it's own not even tied to either one of those areas. They really need to redo that whole back area and make it one cohesive area and make it to feel like its actually part of the park.

Rumor's going around is Deluge and the Waterslides, in the middle of the Lazy River are going out after this year and a New Water Coaster is going in their old spots. Also hearing a couple of Flat rides are going into the area leading to Storm Chaser.