TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Waldameer Discussion Thread

I haven't heard anything about the SBF spinning coaster, but I did find an article mentioning that Waldameer bought one in 2018 (I'm not going to post the link, you can search for it if you would like however). The park does have some signs up for the mat racer slide ads up in the park and it's been mentioned on the local news. I know they're replacing the speed and freefall slides, I don't know if they are replacing any of the other slides on that tower though to install the new mat racers.

The mat racers are going to be a great addition as the freefall and speed slides never get a line and if they do get an SBF spinning coaster it would be a good transition coaster for young kids who can't ride Steel Dragon yet.

Sounds kinda weird but an SBF spinner and new mat racers will probably get me out to the park next year if this is a thing. I've been trying to find time to take my nephews here and a new coaster, albeit a small family coaster may motivate me a little more. lol I actually really enjoy those SBF coasters. I wonder if it'll be the slightly bigger model?

Does Waldameer typically do a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale on one day tickets?

Assuming the coaster would be about 2,000 sq. ft, it could possibly end up behind the Wacky Shack and Spider, here:

Waldy.thumb.png.d182b130648f663aa2a98f93ff73fa68.png

Waldameer is such a great park, so I would hate for them to get rid of anything.

Also, I would say not to think of this as a new roller coaster as much as a new spinning ride. It's just an economical choice for a park crunched for space like Waldameer. I'd say that there's not too much of a difference from this if the park added a new family flat that was mainly a spinner, for example.

Assuming this new ride is true, this and Chaos are two semi-large additions in the ride park during back-to-back years, which is certainly not the norm for Waldamer.

I find it hard to imagine anything put back there, but I'll be honest I also found it very hard to imagine where Chaos was installed and now it seems normal. A big issue Waldameer has is a lot of the land north of Rainbow Gardens and the Wacky Shack is very steeply sloped down toward the lake, and would continue blocking off the Northern part of the property from the park.

All that being said It's entirely possible they could manage to do it if they really wanted to. I'm always terrible at determining where any new ride will end up.

Yes, we are installing a SBF spinning coaster. The location will be made known after Labor Day, and it is not behind Spider. We will not be removing any rides to accommodate it, but we will be doing some re-configuring of an area.

Yes, we are installing a SBF spinning coaster. The location will be made known after Labor Day, and it is not behind Spider. We will not be removing any rides to accommodate it, but we will be doing some re-configuring of an area.

I always enjoy seeing how creatively the space at Waldameer is used, I'm glad to hear it won't be behind Spider and nothing is being removed for it.

Something for the dry side and for the water park. All good news!

Great to hear AJ. I'm guessing this will be a reconfiguration to include some of the space left over from the removal of the old kiddy pools.

Also, AJ, something I've been curious about this since the parking lot expansion... Does Waldameer have any plan for the old Inn at Presque Isle sign that was left over at the intersection of Peninsula and 6th? It was painted during the expansion, but I've been surprised that there was no signage placed on it (even if temporary).

Thanks for setting me straight!

Great to hear AJ. I'm guessing this will be a reconfiguration to include some of the space left over from the removal of the old kiddy pools.

That's a really good idea. Is it possible that it could cross over the Lazy River there?

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Waldameer last weekend with gorgeous weather, and predictably it was the most crowded I've ever seen the park. I parked so far back that I didn't even know that that part of the parking lot existed. Good for the park, but good lord if you (like me) wanted to go in for an hour and ride three or four rides before heading to Presque Isle.

Earlier this summer a TPR member reported that his Ravine Flyer rides were rough and gave him a headache, etc. Some of us rushed to defend to the coaster's greatness, and I agree that it's a fantastic coaster, but I'll say that my latest rides were violent. I've ridden it a ton almost every year, and I don't remember it ever being this wild. It's the end of the season, so I bet that standard maintenance takes some bite out of it (Waldameer keeps it running well), but my two rides the other day were almost too bonkers -- the crazy drop & airtime were amazing-- but it had a few potholes and seemed to be in some kind of angry overdrive. It gave me a solid headache, and though in some ways they were the best rides I've ever had on RFII, the aggression was getting over the line.

It's not Dinn-rough where the coaster is clunky and constantly shuffling, but Gravity Group-rough where an excellent coaster develops a 'roid rage temper and tries you throw you off of it. It was nuts, and if the guy who got a headache is reading this, I believe your headache now.

Still an A+ ride, and I love to see the park packed and looking like its doing well to close out the year.

Edited by Samuel

For anyone worried about some potholes, the big one between the two tunnels on that straightaway after the bridge will be fixed this fall. Perhaps as we speak, because the trucks from Texas were arriving as the park was winding down Monday night. Several other areas that have not received major improvements since opening will also be addressed. As a reference to the scale of this fall refurbishment, we had to rearrange some employee parking to accommodate the massive lumber delivery.

I went to Waldameer last weekend with gorgeous weather, and predictably it was the most crowded I've ever seen the park. I parked so far back that I didn't even know that that part of the parking lot existed. Good for the park, but good lord if you (like me) wanted to go in for an hour and ride three or four rides before heading to Presque Isle.

Earlier this summer a TPR member reported that his Ravine Flyer rides were rough and gave him a headache, etc. Some of us rushed to defend to the coaster's greatness, and I agree that it's a fantastic coaster, but I'll say that my latest rides were violent. I've ridden it a ton almost every year, and I don't remember it ever being this wild. It's the end of the season, so I bet that standard maintenance takes some bite out of it (Waldameer keeps it running well), but my two rides the other day were almost too bonkers -- the crazy drop & airtime were amazing-- but it had a few potholes and seemed to be in some kind of angry overdrive. It gave me a solid headache, and though in some ways they were the best rides I've ever had on RFII, the aggression was getting over the line.

It's not Dinn-rough where the coaster is clunky and constantly shuffling, but Gravity Group-rough where an excellent coaster develops a 'roid rage temper and tries you throw you off of it. It was nuts, and if the guy who got a headache is reading this, I believe your headache now.

Still an A+ ride, and I love to see the park packed and looking like its doing well to close out the year.

I was the one who said I got a headache on it earlier this summer. It is still a great ride, and I love all the work that Waldameer done on it consistently to keep it great.

I had ridden it a couple of more times this summer after my rough ride earlier, no other times that I rode it was it that rough, so I just chalk it up to having one out of control ride.

All the other times I rode it I had great rides, so that's just a bit interesting.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Waldameer "plans" to open on July 3 for the season. Reservations and masks required, Pirate's Cove closed for obvious reasons, and everyone must buy an admission. There will be no individual points or free admission this year. Here is the link: https://waldameer.com/covid-19-information/

Looking forward to visiting and hoping for nothing but good things for this awesome family park.

Interesting thing is season pass holders don't need to make reservations, so hopefully that works well for them (I'm sure they know what to expect for numbers from season pass holders from previous years).

Don't know how much I'll make it there this year, but I may get a pass just to support the local park.

• 1 month later...

Went to Waldameer yesterday and enjoyed my visit as usual, even with the restrictions in place. Crowds were very light, so lines were no issue. Anytime the Whacky Shack is a walk on for two and a half hours, you know it is a slow day. Rode my first SbF Visa family spinning coaster as that is one if Waldameer’s 2 new attractions for 2020 (the other being a 6 lane racing slide for Water World). I actually enjoyed it and can see why they are popping up all over. Ravine Flyer II has the second seat of each car roped off (not sure of the back car though) but was running beautifully. The park looked fantastic with its landscaping, so major props to the staff for that.

My lone complaint was the use of masks. Most kids/teens were taking them off on the rides and wearing them under the nose on the midways. I didn’t see anyone enforcing the rule either. I did see Park owner Mister Nelson on a golf cart wearing his mask... I wish he’d enforce the rule as it seems he doesn’t take crap from anyone! I do want to compliment the employees as they were all very friendly and seemed to be having a good time interacting with the guests. A good example was the girl operating The Music Express who was enthusiastically asking riders to scream louder if they wanted to go faster... despite just 2 riders being on board!

Overall, it was an enjoyable visit, I did feel safe with all of the hand sanitizer everywhere and my wearing a mask, and it was just nice being at a park after all this craziness has affected all of us. Thanks again to the good folks at Waldameer for doing everything they are so that some of us can have a fun and safe time during these “uncertain, challenging, unprecedented” times...

• 2 weeks later...

I think the wristband-only model is hurting them. I know that I, for one, would have been happy to swing by on my last Ohio trip or would be on my next Ohio trip for rides on Ravine Flyer II and Comet, but there's no way I'm spending $45 for two rides. I would, however, be inclined to buy a $10-15 tickets card or however many I would need for the two wooden coasters and perhaps drop some money on food as well while there.

Unfortunately it doesn't not surprise me very much. One of their major draws was "free admission" which had to be done away with this season for attendance / capacity tracking purposes. This has been a major complaint from what I've seen and heard, despite the fact that it was almost 100% mandatory for them to have to do it.

I did buy two season passes this year (for both my wife and I, as we live literally less than a 1/4 mile down the road), but we still have yet to visit. We love to take spend random time there throughout the summers, just walking around, riding a few things, people watch, get food, etc. This year, we haven't had the time to go, but just buying the passes to support the park is the least I could do. The parking lots have been pretty empty every time I've looked.

As much as all of the pandemic restrictions have hurt the bottom line for the "big guns," there are so many small parks suffering (like all small businesses in general). It's incredibly sad.

If you can make some time to visit, be sure to. If not to enjoy a fairly empty park then just to support a park that is getting the **** end of the economic stick.

Unfortunately it doesn't not surprise me very much. One of their major draws was "free admission" which had to be done away with this season for attendance / capacity tracking purposes. This has been a major complaint from what I've seen and heard, despite the fact that it was almost 100% mandatory for them to have to do it.

*shrug* Knoebel's seems to be making it work.

Important note: the $45 pass is for all rides and slides, if you’re only going to be at the dry park, it’s only $34, which I find reasonable.

We actually visited about a month ago on a lightly crowded Sunday, and enjoyed our visit a lot! Also, I’m not sure how it happened (it wasn’t mentioned anywhere on the website) but for some reason our wristbands all came with $7.50 (I think) of in-Park currency that was valid for food and games, which was awesome!

While mask compliance was pretty poor (like 30% only counting people wearing them correctly) since there wasn’t any enforcement, but we were able to maintain distance the majority of the time.