TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

Has anybody marked up the map with what each area is? I see the Nintendo land, and I assume the Fantastic Beasts area is top right corner with the huge show building. I don't see anything that resembles Berk from HTTYD though. Also, the dueling coaster's station appears to have a futuristic theme, which doesn't fit any of the IPs listed.

I'm always excited for more theme parks, and I'm intrigued to see how this one turns out. Having to go through a new entrance gate for every single area seems like a hassle, though, and I feel like Super Nintendo land will be the only big draw to the park, especially considering its distance from the main resort.

^The area with the large show building appears to be the Nintendo Land and faintly matches some leaked models. Someone suggested that the large building could be an indoor section, but I think it's the show building for the Donkey Kong ride.

What we are assuming is the Fantastic Beasts land is the New-York looking area right next to the hotel.

Classic Monsters is the purple area up top.

I'm surprised too at the supposed inclusion of a Fantastic Beasts land, as it's is still in its infancy. It seems way too early to build a theme park land around it IMO, but honestly, I've been foreseeing it coming since the first movie released just knowing Universal.

I'm a casual Potter fan: I like the movies, and the theme park lands, but even I've had enough. Two areas is good - I swear, 20 years later they're going to have to rename the resort "Universal's Harry Potter Orlando" if the keep going at this pace. When is enough enough?

I think the concept art looks incredible. But the part no one seems to be talking about and to me, the most fascinating thing about Epic Universe is the Las Vegas Bellagio Hotel inspired resort “INSIDE” the park with fountains and all. That looks amazing.

I think the concept art looks incredible. But the part no one seems to be talking about and to me, the most fascinating thing about Epic Universe is the Las Vegas Bellagio Hotel inspired resort “INSIDE” the park with fountains and all. That looks amazing.

The hotel does look cool, as does all the water and fountains in the huge "hub" (which is really the spine of the park).

But the hotel is at the back end of the park overlooking the park, not so much "inside" the park anymore than the Disney hotels at DisneySea or California Adventure are "inside" the park.

I, too, think theming areas directly to IPs of questionable longevity, like Fantastic Beasts and How to Train Your Dragon, seems odd, rather than simply having a "mythical" creatures land or something, but I don't think THAT many people care about the actual IP: they focus on "cool looking land, and/or great ride". For instances, I know very little of Harry Potter, but really enjoyed the two lands and rides at Universal nonetheless.

From reading around, the hub will be a part of the park and not open to the public. It seems to have a space/exploration theme as it appears to have several rides/attractions, most notably the dueling coaster.

The rumor is that the lands will be Nintendo, Classic Monsters, Fantastic Beasts and How to Train Your Dragon (who knows why), with at least two more expansion pads. I think the idea of having a huge hub which each land being its own contained area that dead ends (you don't connect between the lands) is somewhat interesting and *maybe* makes things more immersive. I also read somewhere that the coaster will not be "dueling."

Is Fantastic Beasts really that popular? I feel like most people I know who are Potter fans are quite “meh” on those films. I don’t see that franchise being “theme park land worthy” in any way.

I am a pretty big fan of the IP and the first film was OK at best, and I didn't even bother with the 2nd. Meh is the perfect word for it. But they're pulling in a lot of money so somebody's watching them, the 2nd film came in 400 million over budget. I totally agree that there isn't land worthiness to them, there's nothing iconic at all to reference. The concept art looks like old time New York for the outdoor areas, which I guess has some potential but it's not all that original, right? Like Diagon Alley - instant recognition and they translated it pretty much perfectly. Nothing in FB has that punch.

I "waited for video" after the first "Fantastic Beasts" flick came out. I didn't care for it, so I skipped the second one. I imagine they could turn it into a pretty good theme-park attraction, but I am a little tired of Universal's "Pottermania."

The rumor is that the lands will be Nintendo, Classic Monsters, Fantastic Beasts and How to Train Your Dragon (who knows why), with at least two more expansion pads. I think the idea of having a huge hub which each land being its own contained area that dead ends (you don't connect between the lands) is somewhat interesting and *maybe* makes things more immersive. I also read somewhere that the coaster will not be "dueling."

Is Fantastic Beasts really that popular? I feel like most people I know who are Potter fans are quite “meh” on those films. I don’t see that franchise being “theme park land worthy” in any way.

Definitely not theme park worthy. Especially at the moment.

The thing about Fantastic beasts is that we still have three films to go. The first was received okay and the 2nd pretty badly to meh by fans(from my personal experience). So we have no idea if the next three films will leave any kind of legacy that would warrant huge attractions imo.

Although I could see a ride or small area based solely on the beasts that would be lovely for the kids.

Edit: it’s worth noting I am a grumpy old Harry Potter fan that is old school and set in my ways . So my opinion may be out of touch with the actual consensus.

The Harry Potter franchise will continue to remain popular so long as 90s' born people continue to watch the Freeform television network.

The Universal Orlando Resort has announced two more Halloween Horror Nights houses for this year's event!

The reality unearthed in Universal Pictures’ global horror film blockbuster, Us, from visionary Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Jordan Peele, becomes perilously tethered to Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort in all-new terrifying “Halloween Horror Nights” mazes, debuting this September.

Featuring the unnerving labyrinth of underground tunnels that stretch from coast to coast below America, to the disorienting and the ominous uprising of “The Tethered”— doppelgängers of every living man, woman and child in the country—the “Us” maze will place guests at the heart of this living nightmare where they quickly realize they are their own worst enemy.

The journey begins circa 1986 as guests follow in the footsteps of the young girl they first meet as Adelaide Wilson as she innocently ventures through a mirror funhouse at the Santa Cruz boardwalk and has a fateful and traumatic encounter with her tethered doppelgänger, an event that will forever alter both of their lives. The harrowing experience will then transition to present day, thrusting guests into the chaos of “The Tethered” uprising as they emerge from their tunnels to murder their privileged doubles in a nationwide coordinated act of rebellion.

"It's very exciting to know that fans of Us will get to experience firsthand the terror of being stalked and tormented by ‘The Tethered.’ It’s been a lifelong ambition of mine to create a monster that would scare people on Halloween, so having ‘The Tethered’ join such esteemed company is a dream come true,” said Jordan Peele.

“Jordan Peele has put his indelible stamp on a new genre of psychological horror films with the Academy Award®-winning movie, Get Out and the critically-acclaimed film, Us,” said John Murdy, Executive Producer, “Halloween Horror Nights,” Universal Studios Hollywood. “And, it’s an honor to have the opportunity to work with him and his talented team to bring his unique vision for Us to life as a ‘living horror movie’ as part of ‘Halloween Horror Nights.’”

“The idea that ‘we are our own worst enemy’ and the visuals around that notion are what made the story of Us so compelling, personal and exciting for our design team to translate,” said Michael Aiello, Sr. Director of Entertainment Creative for Universal Orlando Resort. “Surrounding our guests in that horrific world of duality Jordan Peele created is a perfect fit for Universal’s ‘Halloween Horror Nights.’”

Universal Studios’ “Halloween Horror Nights” is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited “Halloween Horror Nights” to become victims within their own horror film. Multiple movie-quality mazes based on iconic horror television shows, films and original stories come to life season after season. And, the streets of each park’s event are transformed into highly-themed scare zones where menacing scare-actors lunge from every darkened corner.

“Halloween Horror Nights” begins Friday, September 6 in Orlando and on Friday, September 13 in Hollywood. Additional details about the events will be revealed soon. All tickets for Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort are on sale now. For more information about “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort, visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.

1917834009_UsMazeiscomingtoUniversalStudiosHalloweenHorrorNights2019.thumb.jpg.24826650b03389d3f07e5583b57ff3e7.jpg

https://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/graveyard-games-at-hhn-2019/

Graveyard-Games-Coming-to-Halloween-Horror-Nights-1440x900.thumb.jpg.bb5b842f9d67814caf569b0cf4461583.jpg

Do cemeteries give you the willies? Then this one will give you nightmares. Graveyard Games is the next haunted house to join the line-up at this year’s Halloween Horror Nights.

In the Ascension Parish Cemetery, it’s normal to find teens playing amongst the tombstones. You’ll find yourself witnessing the repercussions of the disrespectful antics of two teens who have awakened the spirits of the dead. As you roam through the cemetery, you’ll wind through dark mausoleums and decaying piles of coffins.

Ghosts of every shape and form will rise from the tombstones to exact their revenge as you try to escape the maze of crumbling tombstones and mausoleums. Skeletal beings, ghastly apparitions and vengeful spirits will try to drag you to the grave. And in the end, you’ll find out what happened to those who set out to deface the cemetery.

Before you enter the haunted house, take the opportunity to chat with a few of the local teens and storytellers of the town. All you need is your phone and open Facebook Messenger to the Halloween Horror Nights page. Here you’ll learn the history and spooky legends the cemetery keeps. Better to be prepared for what awaits than finding yourself coming to a “dead” end.

It’s getting spooky up in here! The gates of Halloween Horror Nights open Sept. 6 – Nov. 2 with haunted houses, scare zones, shows and more.

Interesting read about Universal's desire to have a stop on the high speed rail line that is being built in Florida.

https://archpaper.com/2019/08/universal-orlando-theme-park-transit-oriented/

The new Universal Orlando theme park will be a transit-oriented good time

By Audrey Wachs (@gridwachs) • August 8, 2019

Central Florida entertainment complex Universal Orlando is building a transit-oriented theme park. The company announced that its land of fun—the U.S.’s first big amusement park since 2001—is hoping to link up with local passenger rail service Virgin Trains to ferry customers to and from Miami.

Virgin Trains (formerly known as the Brightline) is a privately owned transit company that began providing high-speed rail service between Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach in 2018. It would link to the park via a stop at Orange County Convention Center, which is steps away from the proposed main entrance to Epic Universe. Universal Orlando has been lobbying the company to provide a connection to the new park.

Universal Parks and Resorts CEO Tom Williams told Next Miami that his company will push “with every bit of strength that we’ve got” for the rail connection.

Outside of its possible amusement park involvement, the south Florida train company is on a major growth spurt. There are plans for a Tampa, Florida expansion, and by 2022, Orlando Airport–bound passengers will be able to travel directly from Miami. There should also be service to Orlando’s Walt Disney World soon: construction on a Disney train station began in May.

Conde Nast Traveler reported that the 750-acre Epic Universe will boast restaurants, retail, entertainment, and a hotel across four realms, each with their own separate entrance. There’s no word yet on an opening date or the types of attractions that will be contained within its walls, but it’s likely that Nintendo and Harry Potter content will feature prominently.

But that’s okay for all you NUMTOTS—the only thing you need to know is that you won’t need a car to get there.

The Universal Orlando Resort has revealed five new scare zones along with the return of the Academy of Villains show for this year's Halloween Horror Nights!

https://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/scare-zone-and-shows-hhn-2019/

Halloween-Horror-Nights-2019-Scare-Zones-Revealed-1440x900.thumb.jpg.9fcf49718f320adebc72b66ad70a1a3d.jpg

One of the best things about Halloween is strolling the streets and seeing all the ghouls and goblins out and about. At Halloween Horror Nights, we take that and give it a twisted spin with scare zones jam packed with terrifying monsters and demented fiends. This year, five scare zones are taking over Universal Studios Florida. Plus, fan-favorite Academy of Villains returns with an all-new powerhouse show. Here are the details.

Zombieland Double Tap

Zombieland-Double-Tap-Halloween-Horror-Nights.thumb.jpg.624b079b7a6c47624b35dbbc24d2199a.jpg

It’s time to brush up on those rules of survival. Based on the hit film and its upcoming sequel, this scare zone puts you in the middle of the United States of Zombieland. The infection has spread and bloodthirsty zombies are everywhere. The most important rule to remember: Always double tap.4

Rob Zombie Hellbilly Deluxe

Hellbilly-Deluxe-Scare-Zones-Halloween-Horror-Nights.thumb.jpg.958535edfc9011ec43a3ed538594f15d.jpg

You know his music, now it’s time to live it. Step into the heavy metal horror of Rob Zombie’s music and imagery in this pulse-pounding scare zone. From otherworldly beings to brutal maniacs, you’ll come face-to-face with his twisted creations as the music cranks to a frenzy.

Anarch-cade

Anarch-Cade-Scare-Zone-Halloween-Horror-Nights.thumb.jpg.04a62d408e9880bb795008a681003c11.jpg

An 80s-inspired arcade has taken over Avenue of the Stars. At first glance, you may think it’s a party. However, you quickly learn that “Game Over” means a permanent end for you. A gang of neon slashers are out to play and this is one game you won’t want to lose.

Vanity Ball

Vanity-Ball-Halloween-Horror-Nights.thumb.jpg.b8601e07a3c8ae2d65078272fe5cdba6.jpg

Beauty is pain. Literally. In the streets of Hollywood, your flesh becomes the canvas as blade-wielding artists slice up willing participants into horrific living works of art. Here, going under the knife takes on a whole other meaning.

Vikings Undead

Vikings-Undead-Halloween-Horror-Nights.thumb.jpg.643dcb5a5532ff96f9c2fa2ed31dba6b.jpg

We’re all familiar with the brutal Viking warriors. It’s terrifying enough thinking about facing them alive. Now picture facing them as the undead. They have risen and laid siege to Central Park with an onslaught of gore. Bloodlust never dies.

Academy of Villains

Academy of Villains returns in an epic experiment of mind and body. Man’s true nature is dragged out into the dark, gothic streets of anarchy. This wickedly talented group of artists is back for an all-new performance featuring a killer mix of visionary dance and extraordinary theatrics.

Ten haunted houses, five scare zones and outrageous shows. All this and more (like pizza fries!) awaits you at this year’s Halloween Horror Nights from Sept. 6 – Nov. 2.

Vanity Ball reminds me of the Beverly Hills portion of the movie Escape from LA.

As a kid, I absolutely LOVED the "thrilling chilling world of Rob Zombie" maze Hollywood did for HHN that was based on the Hellbilly Deluxe album. Excited to see that sort of come back to life again!

The final house of Halloween Horror Nights 2019 at Universal Orlando has been revealed! Rob Zombie's "House of 1000 Corpses" will scare guests with a new house at this year's event!

Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort take guests on a relentless tour through multi-platinum recording artist and filmmaker Rob Zombie’s twisted “House of 1000 Corpses,” inspired by Lionsgate’s 2003 cult classic horror film, as part of this year’s “Halloween Horror Nights” event, beginning in September.

The terrifying “House of 1000 Corpses” mazes bring to life the movie’s offbeat roadside tourist attraction, Captain Spaulding’s Museum of Monsters and Madmen, and introduces guests to some of the country’s most infamous serial killers, including Dr. Satan, a demented surgeon who has gone mad.

Without a moment to catch their breath, guests will venture to the chaotic home of the Firefly family, a sadistic clan of psychotic killers, where the psychosis deepens and the depraved thrive. It is a chilling journey into the netherworld of terror that weaves its way through a cavernous network of dark tunnels within the bowels of the house. Populated by the degenerate victims of Dr. Satan’s debauched operations, legions of tortured creatures shuffle about as Dr. Satan continues his twisted medical practice, eagerly awaiting a new installment of victims.

Universal Studios’ “Halloween Horror Nights” is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited “Halloween Horror Nights” to become victims inside their own horror film. Multiple movie-quality mazes based on iconic horror movies, television shows and original stories come to life season after season. The terror bleeds to the streets of the parks with highly-themed scare zones, littered with menacing scare-actors lunging from every darkened corner to torment, terrify and scare “Halloween Horror Nights” guests.

“Halloween Horror Nights” begins Friday, September 6 in Orlando and on Friday, September 13 in Hollywood. Additional details about the events will be revealed soon. Tickets for “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort are on sale now. Visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com for more information and to purchase tickets.

119973229_Houseof1000CorpsesmazeatHHN2019(logo).thumb.jpg.2984595bba3a739bc0cece4a8296981c.jpg

The Universal Orlando Resort has sent us a press release announcing a new nighttime lagoon show exclusive to Halloween Horror Nights called "Halloween Marathon of Mayhem!"

2086230015_AnAll-NewShowHalloweenMarathonofMayhemisComingtoHalloweenHorrorNights2019.thumb.jpg.ef57231a814d61496e109db4a0ead68c.jpg

The screams featured at this year’s Halloween Horror Nights will come to life in a whole new way with the debut of the nighttime lagoon show, “Halloween Marathon of Mayhem.” Guests will watch as terrifying moments inspired by some of the Halloween classics taking over the event come to life right before their eyes in the Universal Studios Florida lagoon.

Giant water screens highlighting iconic horror scenes, accented with more than 100 fountains, awesome special effects, pounding electro music, lasers and more will bring this all-new experience to life – creating a larger-than-life mix tape that guests won’t want to miss. Guests will witness a twisted new take on Netflix’s Stranger Things, Sony Pictures’ Ghostbusters, Universal Monsters and Metro Goldwyn Mayer’s Killer Klowns from Outer Space as they invade the Universal Studios lagoon for “Halloween Marathon of Mayhem,” running on event nights at the world’s premier Halloween event.

Halloween Horror Nights 2019 kicks off September 6 and runs select nights through November 2, bringing the most terrifying names in horror to life in 10 all-new elaborately themed haunted houses, five scare zones, live entertainment and more. And when they need a break from the screams, guests can enjoy Universal Studios’ most exhilarating attractions and the “Halloween Horror Nights Mobile Game featuring TERROR TRIVIA,” where they can test their Halloween Horror Nights knowledge, compete to get their name on the event leaderboards of 11 horror-packed levels and more.

For more information about Halloween Horror Nights, visit http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando.

So we finally are making a trip down for HHN this year. Being a teacher and my son being in high school we cannot do middle of the week, but I was prepared for the expense of a weekend trip. Going the first weekend of Oct. In the end decided to do two nights with express passes versus one night of VIP. About the same money and that way get to enjoy it two nights, a Sat and Sun.

I'm sure it will be worth it in the end but Holy Hell, Universal has got to simplify the ticketing for HHN. I mean I'm not exactly a novice at buying theme park tickets and special events at theme parks. But I swear I've done less research planning a trip to Europe for my whole family. There are just way too many ticketing options, and passes that aren't good on Sat nights and yada, yada, yada.........I utterly failed at all attempts to explain the choices to friends who are coming with us and not so used to doing this sort of thing and finally just bought theirs and had her pay me back. We love Halloween events and I've wanted to do HHN for a long time, hope it's worth it in the end!

Meanwhile on another note, what are the wait times like for Hagrid's now? Obviously want to get that one in while we are there.