TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Ticketsatwork.com have them for 31.50 plus tax. Never heard of goldstar but that price does sound legit. Kennywood does have other prices under their discount pricing.

Thank you! I'll take this over the crazy processing fees Goldstar requires

Steel Curtain is fun. Phantom is fun. Kennywood as a whole seems like a dump.

Edit: it's been a tough day. Long drive, crappy ops, crowded, line jumpers, idiots being especially idiotatic, and then shutting down when rain showed up. Skies were beautiful by 7pm

Win some, lose some. Maybe tomorrow.

Edited by tndank

I'd never call Kennywood anything like a dump, but I'll certainly agree on the ops. It never used to be that way but my last few trips there, most of the rides have had operations that made your average Six Flags look like Knoebels; ridiculously slow dispatch times, just ignoring line jumpers, or constantly mis-counting the number of people they can let onto a ride at once. It's really frustrating at what's otherwise such a fun place.

That said, I've been there in rain several times, and except in one case where it was so bad it began flooding (and there were tornados very nearby as well), it's never closed.

It was a beautiful night in Pitt this evening. Would have been great to be at the park. Oh well. Just really disappointing. Seems crazy they shut down at 615 but not my park or call. Got rain tix then hung out with old friends. We are going to swing by and get our missing credits and a few flats tomorrow before heading downtown for the game. Hershey on Sunday.

^ We also got those rain tickets, but they say 2020 on them. Am I correct in assuming they aren’t valid until next year?

If that’s true it would be a total bummer because I’ll be moving down to Florida and likely won’t be able to use them if I can’t use them this season...

Maybe it was just me but I was fine with the operations today. We took it slow and maybe that’s why I didn’t care as much but we got on the rides we did go on relatively quickly and/or efficiently considering the line. Steel Curtain’s line was almost consistently moving which I was very happy to see and was very glad to get a ride on that and phantom before the rain kicked in and shut the place down.

With the intention of coming back to the park at least once before the regular season ends (August 20 according to the park map) I’m curious, how are crowds this time of year? Especially weekends?

Was yesterday’s packed parking lots and busy park with long lines an outlier or is that common for this park?

From KW Facebook:

A Steel Curtain update, as we know many of you are looking for the latest:

Maintenance crews, working with our partners at S & S Worldwide, are continuing work on some adjustments to the ride. Being a unique prototype ride, it's not unusual to have periodic downtime as we have seen over The Steel Curtain's first month of operations. While our team is making progress to get Steel Curtain back open as soon as possible, it will be hard to pinpoint exactly when the ride will reopen as it is a fluid situation. Please know that our primary focus throughout this process is on the safety of the ride for you, our Guests. We aim to provide the best experience possible on a visit to Kennywood, and safety is the first priority in creating that good experience.

When Steel Curtain does reopen, it's also possible that it will have stoppages and periodic closures in the future. This is normal for any amusement ride, especially so given the newness, complexity and record-breaking nature of The Steel Curtain.

Also, they have donated a Log Jammer vehicle to a local charity to auction off. Paging coasterbill.

Also, they have donated a Log Jammer vehicle to a local charity to auction off. Paging coasterbill.

They should donate it to their park in Connecticut so that it can run a reasonable number of logs and do more than like six riders per hour.