TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

We've never been to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and although I know its subjective, how much time should we plan on? We will be there at rope-drop on a Sunday, and want to do all the rides and see all the shows ... nothing twice, just once. Any suggestions on touring strategy and dining favorites would be fun, and if there is any thing we need to make reservations for. Thanks ahead of time for everyone's reply.

We've never been to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and although I know its subjective, how much time should we plan on? We will be there at rope-drop on a Sunday, and want to do all the rides and see all the shows ... nothing twice, just once. Any suggestions on touring strategy and dining favorites would be fun, and if there is any thing we need to make reservations for. Thanks ahead of time for everyone's reply.

I was there on a Wednesday last month and the only rides I had to wait for were Verbolten (2x), Roman Rapids and Le Scoot. But it was mid week and 97° so it might be a little different on a Sunday. We got there around 1130 and rode everything at a leisurely pace with some re-rides before thunderstorms rolled in around 830. And thats with waiting about 2 hours in lines for the 3 rides I mentioned.

If KIGA was more like Fury, only 330-350 feet instead of barely creeping over the 300 foot mark, and with a similarly dynamic layout, I would be a lot more excited about it than I am. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about it, simply because it's another Giga, and I have full confidence the layout will have some exciting flourishes thrown in that we don't know about yet, and KI is a park I go to regularly, so I'll get to ride it much more than Fury (plus, night rides at KI are the greatest!) However, given that it doesn't appear (at the moment) to do anything super new or out of the ordinary, I am more excited about Pantheon, since it's a more unique coaster experience than what I'm likely to get on KIGA. Same with Candymonium, which I'm also excited about, but not as much as Pantheon.

After our trip to Disney and Knott's next month, it's a three-year gap

between trips. Next one is 2022 for me and David. Paris and Amsterdam.

Hmmm. Maybe a solo trip to this area in 2021 will happen,

once Pantheon gets through it's inaugural season.

So on top of Pantheon we're looking at rumors of a "Red Force" like coaster for BGW in...…..2021? If that rumor is true I wonder what wild Coaster Enthusiast got control of SEAS capex decisions. Also if that rumor is true.....neat.

SEAS seems to be on a spending spree! A pretty good amount of investment across their five main parks in 2019, seems to be coasters (relatively big coasters) for all five of the SW and BG parks for 2020, and rumors/rumblings of additional coasters for (at least) BGW and SWSD for 2021.

It was this piece of news from Busch Gardens Williamsburg, as well as news from Sea World Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa, that forced me to rethink next year's plans and consider purchasing a platinum pass, just like I did during the 2016 season. Methinks that chain is building some excellent coasters because they knew I live in Virginia and was returning to Orlando next year and they want me back, but that could be all speculation. Whatever their reason is, it worked!

It was this piece of news from Busch Gardens Williamsburg, as well as news from Sea World Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa, that forced me to rethink next year's plans and consider purchasing a platinum pass, just like I did during the 2016 season. Methinks that chain is building some excellent coasters because they knew I live in Virginia and was returning to Orlando next year and they want me back, but that could be all speculation. Whatever their reason is, it worked!

I just saw the price of the platinum pass and whoa!

^ Yeah they are insanely priced, but its well worth it. You are paying for the top quality that the SW/BG parks provide. Not to mention with a SW/BG platinum pass you get 10% off literally ANYTHING you buy in their parks. Yes that includes food AND alcohol. Its a great perk that I use every single time I can.

I have passes to four parks/chains at the moment and the BGW is still not the not most expensive.

Great Adventure gold membership = $7/mo

Kings Dominion platinum pass = $16/mo

BGW platinum pass = $19/mo

Moreys = $210 one time charge (and thats at a discount!!!! regularly priced they are almost double that), which would come out to $17.50 a month, BUUUUUTTTT they are only open from April til the first week of October (really all three piers are open from June-Sept) while the other three park passes I have are open April-January (and all three of those chains have at least some parks that are open all year round), so if we were to spread out Moreys over 6 months it would actually be $35/month. Lucky for me this is a gift my mother-in-law buys me every year.

I actually considered buying a SW/BG Platinum Pass next year, because if it's valid for a year from the date of purchase, I am already planning on going to BGW for a couple days next year, and then BGT and SWO in the late winter, early Spring of 2021. Just need to do the math to make sure only 4 total days of visits is worth it. Id be buying 4, as well, so it's a significant expense!

Upon checking (and double checked) how much a Busch Gardens Platinum Pass would cost and compared it to how often I will be using this pass and to which park, I have considered this to be a big money saver in the long run in the 2020 season. I'm thinking about several trips to Busch Gardens Williamsburg during the summer, a trip or two to Water Country U.S.A., a visit to Busch Gardens Tampa, a visit to SeaWorld Orlando, and might even squeeze in a visit to Howl-a-Scream and Christmas Town. Moreover, free parking in the prefer lot, three free guest tickets and discounts in food, drink, and shopping - I'm more than willing to purchase that pass on my credit card. Lest I should forget to add - all those parks I'm planning to visit next season are putting in a new coaster that will cause you to drop your jaw and wet your pants in the excitement ( I know that Water Country U.S.A debuted their Cutback Water Coaster this year, but I didn't go there this year, so it will be new to me next year)!

As for me and Busch Gardens for this year, I've got one more visit planned for next year due to the Fun Card I purchased two months ago. If this year is the Prelude, then next year will be The Three Acts and the Encores.

Has anyone purchased a Platinum Pass at Sea World San Antonio to use at the other parks and know of any drawbacks doing it that way? Right now a Platinum Membership at BGW is $354 and a platinum pass at Sea World San Antonio is 133. There has to be some drawback to getting the SWSA pass, right?

Has anyone purchased a Platinum Pass at Sea World San Antonio to use at the other parks and know of any drawbacks doing it that way? Right now a Platinum Membership at BGW is $354 and a platinum pass at Sea World San Antonio is 133. There has to be some drawback to getting the SWSA pass, right?

Since you live in Missouri, it really doesn't matter which park you purchase the Platinum at (I say this because some parks require that you don't live in another state that has a SW/BG park in it if you live there...so you're good). However, some of the park-specific benefits will only be available at the park purchased from. You still get admission, free general parking and discounts at all the parks. However things like free & discount tickets that come with the passes would only be available at the parks in the state you purchase from (for instance, if you purchase the pass from a Texas park you will get those parks specific benefits, or if from a Florida park, you would get all the benefits those 4 parks get, or if at BGW the benefits both of those parks get). In some cases, you may still get the preferred parking benefit, ride again & reserved seating for regular shows, but it's not included outside of your home state park any more (however, some people have stated they are still getting those sometimes when available). The parks often have random perks also (like a free Quick Queue for a new ride, Busch Gardens (or SeaWorld) bucks, free sample (or samples) during an event. These are park specific to the state your pass was bought from as well.

Seeing as you are looking to just save money to be able to go, the state/park-specific benefits may not even be an issue for you since you don't live near any of the parks anyway. You may need to go to SW San Antonio first before using it at the others (or you can contact the park to see if you can at another if you go there first). For the FL parks, they are active as soon as you purchase (since Oct 2018). I'm not sure about the others, but have seen people be able to use one purchased through Sesame Place at the FL parks first, but that was because SP wasn't open for the season yet.

Basically, if you're just looking to get into the parks with free parking and discounts on most things (food, merch, tours,upgrades), it's good for all 11 parks no matter where you purchase it from.

I purchased my Platinum Pass from SWSA last year. You have to go to the home park to get your pass. Which was fine with me, as we turned it into a 6 day trip that included SFOT, SFFT, SWSA, and sightseeing. Admission and parking is enough for me at the other parks.

The tickets that were emailed to me said you had to be a resident of Texas to get a platinum pass from SWSA. This was never mentioned during the purchase process so I checked with Sea World and they said being a resident was not necessary.

Sorry for being late to the party, I heard about the announcement but somehow didn't actually look into it!?

Pantheon looks great. A fast, multi launch coaster, with a beyond vertical drop, spike, what's not to love?

Also this will bring me here next year. Despite several NJ-FL/FL-NJ drives I never did bother to stop here because while it's a great park, the rides I've not yet done are Griffon, Verbolten, Tempesto, Invadr...all are fun I am sure but ya know, none blow me away/I havent done before so I never wanted to make the stop here. Went to KD instead. But I am stoked to ride this.

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized that Pantheon is like Soaring with Dragon WITH a pre launch launch. How are you guys not loosing your shit? This and Gwazi look to def make a season pass and some travelling worth it!