TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Funniest Ride Experiences

Last time I was in Hersheypark riding SKYRUSH and the riding sitting next to me showcase a bad case of flatulence ( in other words he passed a lot of gas) just as the train departed the station and headed up the lift hill. He apologized profusely, but I told him at least ripping prize winners was much better than throwing up. Besides, at least he didn't soil his pants.

On another visit to Hersheypark, inside one of their eateries, A big fellow sat down in the booth adjacent to where I was eating and ripped out his prizewinner. When he looked at me, I remembered a joke I had with my late mother whenever she tooted and replied unto him, "I hate to say this, but I think you sat on a spider."

"Good!" he replied, and we both went back to our lunches, trying hard not to laugh.

" Gee, ain't that a toot?"

Edited by palmerleeberry

I still don't remember what made us all laugh on it, but a coaster we rode in the TPR 2012 China Tour, had us in fits at the end of the ride. I'm pretty sure it was somebody (a local, perhaps?) who was screaming during the entire ride, and it must have been quite the 'unusual' scream, because we were all laughing our heads off when we came back into the station. And somebody got a photo of us, too!

ChimelongParadise2012.jpg.7afe0c554fe12adf21782adab1ba3117.jpg

It was in Chimelong Paradise Park. On Young Star Coaster.

And THANK YOU to whoever took this photo! It's been awhile. I forget.

Edited by Nrthwnd

My son was in line for the kiddie swings at SFDL and dancing like he had to go pee. I asked him twice and he assured me he didnt have to. I go sit on a bench while they ride to chat with friends, and we hear him crying on the ride. I go to see whats up, the ride is cycling down and well... you can figure it out:

20190727_164339.thumb.jpg.f7ccc46150fd3e0735b75934a673cd5c.jpg

Not as good as a lot of the stories here, but I do have a few.

One of my favorites; a few years back, at Kennywood, I get on Phantom's Revenge, after waiting a bit extra for the front row. I'm in the front right seat and get an absolutely awesome ride...to no one's surprise, if you've been on Phantom's Revenge. We come around to the station again and the restraints come up...all except mine. The ride ops try for a couple minutes to get mine to release, but nothing works. Finally one of them comes over, and looking horrified, tells me "We're going to have to cycle it again to get it around to the maintenance station. Are you going to be okay if we go around again?" They're acting like this is some horrible penalty, no matter how much I try to explain to them that yes, I am entirely fine with a second front seat ride on Phantom's Revenge. So they send me around again, and stop the train at the switch track before the station, where a maintenance guy is able to get my restraint released in a minute or two. One of the other ride ops comes over then and starts offering me coupons for free food, suggesting that if I go to guest services I might be able to get a refund on my park ticket, just absolutely ridiculous offers in exchange for the unthinkable crime of having to ride one of my favorite coasters a second time. I could barely convince them that I was fine and didn't need anything from them. I guess some people really are that eager to complain that they might have made a big deal out of something like that, but...it was a free ride, and they REALLY wanted to compensate me for it. No, I didn't take them up on any of it, I would have felt horrible.

Other stories...further back, a lot further back, when I was still travelling with parents, we were at Six Flags Great Adventure and hit the teacups there... Now it's worth pointing out that my family does not 'ride' teacups. 'Ride' is a passive word. We all have a bit of a competitive side, and my father got it into my brother and I at an early age that teacups are a competitive sport. If someone else is spinning faster, that means we can do better. And SFGA that day, the ride ops were having fun and offering a free ride to whoever they saw spinning the fastest. The first ride, we definitely won, and the ride ops agreed and told us to stay on if we wanted. Of course we did.

The second round was...more competitive. And just for the sake of imagery, I should try to give you some idea of what we look like here. It's my father, my brother, and I, in one of the green teacups. I take after my father in being a little bit on the taller side and very long limbed, making it very easy to get a good hold on the wheel in the middle of the cup despite being spun hard back against the seat. My brother takes after my mother, so he has to work at this. And he makes up for that in sheer determination. We've figured out that if we all try to spin the cup at the same time, our hands get in each others way, and we all get tired out too quickly, so once we're up to speed we take turn, spinning hard as we can then calling for the next person around to take their turn. And when it's my brother's turn, he's almost completely out of his seat, feet braced up against the other side of the cup, just so he can reach at the speeds we're spinning, like some kind of spider hanging on to the ride. It is very clear that all three of us take this far more seriously than anyone should ever take a ride. And we're loving it.

So halfway through the ride, we're increasingly aware that a large number of people in line have started chanting for us, "Green! Green! Green!' So of course we're going at it even harder now. Then the ride comes to a stop and everyone starts to get off, except for one other cup near us. The ride operator tells them then have to get off, and one girl tells him "no we don't, we were spinning fastest." The op just shakes his head, pointing to us. "Nope. THEY WON." And half the people in line start cheering and clapping.

Fortunately for us, before the next ride started, someone I assume was a supervisor came over and told the ride ops that they couldn't give free rides like that...because we were /dead/ and there was absolutely no way we were going to be able to win again!

My family, and my father especially, being competitive on rides doesn't end with teacups. Racing waterslides are very much the same. I don't know anyone that's ever beaten him on one of those racing mat slides. I've never figured out how he does it; he's never even been that heavy for the extra momentum. So, years back, again, we were at Blizzard Beach at Disney World. (I'd actually been pretty sure this was on the toboggan racers, but looking at the pictures from the park now, I'm realizing it was Downhill Double Dippers; Toboggan Racers doesn't have a pool, just water brakes. The pool with the bumper is next to it on DDD, the inner tube version) We're in line for the slide and laughing a little at the big bright colored rubber bumper at the end of the pool. It seems so unnecessary. We're watching everyone hit the pool and stop, usually sinking, or make it maybe halfway across on their tubes...talk about unneeded safety precautions, no one is getting to that bumper. We keep watching all through the line and no one is even getting more than halfway across the pool. Then we get to the top, my brother and I first...my brother beats me to the bottom by a mile, as usual; I never win at these. We get off, and wait for our father to come down next, against whoever was behind us in line. And come down he does, like he has a rocket strapped to his inner tube...and hits the pool, and just skips like a stone. Skip, skip...slam right into the big yellow bumper at the end. The only person we saw the entire time make it anywhere near that, and he hit it hard enough to barely hold on to his tube. He gets out, and the lifeguard is just staring at him, "That was SO COOOOOOOL." It's probably been 15 years at this point, and I still don't know how he does it...

^ on a mat racer, lift up the front end of the mat using the handles, otherwise it acts like a plow. At Water Country, I got a late start because I got stuck at the top for a second. I caught up and passed everyone using that method.

^ on a mat racer, lift up the front end of the mat using the handles, otherwise it acts like a plow. At Water Country, I got a late start because I got stuck at the top for a second. I caught up and passed everyone using that method.

Oh, yeah, that much I get. I can manage a respectable speed on them. Just not anywhere near what my father manages, and it's even sillier that he could do it on a tube slide, where there's (to my knowledge) no real technique at all!

Speaking of slides this reminds me of my old job as a ride operator'. We had a dry mat racing slide, and the maintenance guys had just waxed it because it was going too slow. The parks manager was the first to ride it, he went flying off of the last hill and slammed into the fence, I asked him if he was going to try it again and he said "I can't afford the workman's comp" lol.

So I decided to ride it, It has three bumps, I got a few inches of air on the second and on the third it maybe launched me three feet into the air, me and my entire mat flip over and careened into the fence way past the end of the slide.

Got a pretty bad scrape on my arm but other than that it was amazing, scariest and most fun thing that ever happened to me at a park.

It was closed all day.

Speaking of slides this reminds me of my old job as a ride operator'. We had a dry mat racing slide, and the maintenance guys had just waxed it because it was going too slow. The parks manager was the first to ride it, he went flying off of the last hill and slammed into the fence, I asked him if he was going to try it again and he said "I can't afford the workman's comp" lol.

So I decided to ride it, It has three bumps, I got a few inches of air on the second and on the third it maybe launched me three feet into the air, me and my entire mat flip over and careened into the fence way past the end of the slide.

Got a pretty bad scrape on my arm but other than that it was amazing, scariest and most fun thing that ever happened to me at a park.

It was closed all day.

I caught air on the third hump of one at a fair. It was at night and was starting to get condensation on it. Jacked up my neck a bit.

^Yeah I felt as if I had just been in a really bad ski crash.

If you actually land right side up on the slide but still get air on the third hill it's really fun in my opinion and not that dangerous for me personally. Still hurts but not dangerous, but I could see how it could be dangerous for children or the elderly. One day one of the lanes was running like that and we only let adults on it but warned them it could hurt, they all loved it. With the amount of insurance chasers these days that probably wasn't the greatest idea.

A month ago we had a double b day trip to fiesta. My Cosmic twin (same b day and year also) and two others were there. Every ride the two other friends struck up happy birthday sing alongs with the whole crowd, train and platform. It became the challenge/theme of the day. It was totally embarrassing but awesome at the same time. Sorry, y'all.

• 2 weeks later...

On line for Nitro, a friend and I were talking and we were carrying on as would be expected for high school age guys as we were then. These two large, absolutely cliched looking biker dudes, (the leather jackets with patches, skulls, flames, knives, bearded, tats, everything hardcore) turned to us and one said to me, in a normal gentle voice, "Can you please watch the profanity around the kid" and revealed a boy standing in front of him holding his leg.

I felt bad, and bewildered, and chuckling internally all at once

^ They could also be gay parents too, but you never found that out, right?

Could've been! Wouldn't have phased me, mostly it was unexpected and funny, and a little embarrassing.

In fairness, while I'm pretty personable and talkative esp at parks, I didn't really think to continue conversing with em after being called out for swearing around a child

I've got two amusing experiences. One was at Canada's Wonderland on Sledge Hammer when a friend of mine was stapled and complained that his balls were hurting the rest of the day.

Another was that while on Rolling Thunder at Six Flags Darien Lake, I saw what looked like a credit card fall out of someone's pocket while upside down. Secure your loose articles, people.

Funny how so many of these are mildly dangerous. Honestly, it's fun to see parks that are a little more lax on safety. Not to the point of the ride actually being dangerous, of course. But just enough where you're like, "man, someone could maybe get hurt." Like a log flume. No real restraints, the park's just trusting you to stay seated.

It's fun having these kinds of experiences with GP friends, though. We experienced riders don't get nearly as scared when things slightly out of the ordinary happen, but my GP friends thought I was going to die on a certain Schwartzkopf double looper. For those not familiar, these rides only have jenky lapbars (the g-forces on the loops keep you in just fine) and there's no real divide between the two seats in the row other than there being two separate lapbars. So imagine sitting behind me, a single rider, having a blast with my arms up when suddenly, as the train banks to the left, I disappear in front of you. Yeah, there was nothing supporting me on the right so I fell straight over into the right-hand seat. The g-forces from the turn pinned me down for a second, but I popped right back up afterward and decided to hold on for the rest of the ride. Of course, I was just fine, but we were on a coaster having a good time and laughing already, so we had a real good laugh when it happened. Me telling the story does not do the moment justice.

On Hammerhead Shark at SFDK (Zamperla double pendulum), this girl next to me was cussing out her boyfriend the entire time, presumably for making her ride it. It was hilarious. "I'm going to f***ing die!" When we were hanging upside down, she went "oh sh*t" at the top of her lungs the entire time. I can't remember the gory details, unfortunately, but it involved lots of profanity and I think her boyfriend was just laughing.

It was great because it was my first time going on an inverting pendulum, and what she was screaming out loud was what I was thinking. :') I love that sort of ride now, though.

Probably going to be at Disneyland Park, when my boyfriend and I had decided to get a fastpass for Splash Mountain, right before dusk. The boat we got in already had about a half a foot of water floating in the bottom. So due to the extra weight, the rest of the ride we got drenched on every drop. During each lift hill, the water would rush backwards so our feet were completely soaked.

To top it all off, we got stuck on the longest lift hill with that morbid music that plays near the vulture animatronics, while the water in our car was pooled around our feet. I had never been more miserable on Splash Mountain as I was when we passed the zip-a-dee-lady boat at the end. We were literally wet until we got back to our hotel, since it wasn't warm and sunny anymore.

At the time we were both kinda miserable from being wet and cold, but having a good time on Matterhorn anyway. However looking back onto this experience, we both laugh and wonder why we ever thought to get into that flooded log on Splash Mountain, or ride it at night time in California.

I just remembered another funny incident that happened at Disneyland . . .

I got on The Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror and when the elevator started going up and down, some woman sitting next to me grabbed my hand and wouldn't let go until we were back at the station. I looked her and asked, "Does this mean we can go steady now?" I thought that poor woman was going to die of embarrassment because she thought she was grabbing her husband's hand, but grabbed mine instead.

RECAP

Her -

Me -