TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

All Wildcat needs is re-tracking. Also, I believe every park should have a wild mouse coaster.

I've only been to HP once, a year ago, and rode Wildcat in the front seat. The front seat. And it was one of the roughest roller coasters I've experienced with hardly any redeeming qualities. I understand it's the first GCI and the GCI HQ isn't too far away but Wildcat needs far more than retracking in my opinion. It's got a lot of potential on that little hillside!

Great, you've got an air conditioned, themed mouse in a box right across the path

Ride Predator at SFDL if you want a rough ride. Wildcat is nothing compared to that.

I would have called this something like "the Full Bar" or, hell: "Hershey's Rollo Coaster"

Rollo is Nestle....

nope - in the USA, it's Hershey

Even looked it up on Wiki just now to make sure I'm not crazy:

Rolo (pronounced /ˈrəʊləʊ/), referring to the roll-styled candy, is a brand of truncated-cone-shaped or frustum-shaped chocolates with a caramel middle. First manufactured in the United Kingdom by Mackintosh's in 1937 (followed by Rowntree's after the takeover in 1969), they are made by Nestlé, except in the United States where production has been licensed to The Hershey Company.

Edited by bert425

Hersheypark has always been pretty unique for an American theme park, with theming, shopping, and restaurants starting before you even are admitted into the park. With the announcement last year that the park entrance will be expanding and changing into Chocolatetown, this will make the park even more unique, as Chocolatetown will be open year round with some food and shopping open year round. But the biggest change hinted at was the giant hypercoaster teased as the cornerstone of this expansion. Today they finally announced more about the park's new for 2020 "15th" coaster and I had a chance to attend the ceremony, so let's check it out, shall we?

IMG_3792.thumb.JPG.38834ff69df8fc44d39c409ee03fc380.JPG

Checking in!

IMG_3791.thumb.JPG.610c5130f638e388d969c918a97910e7.JPG

The announcement started off in Music Box Theater with a video showing POV of all of Hershey's current coasters

IMG_3790.thumb.JPG.d5eb89bd1a4e05e03d15d0484acfdef8.JPG

Including some favorite coasters

IMG_3789.thumb.JPG.ce76780b6f69816a22a65aa06828a548.JPG

The park's most intense coaster

IMG_3788.thumb.JPG.70587e92faf879b468d6dc1f363844ba.JPG

There are far more important things in the world right now than determining if this is in fact a coaster. I like the ride, especially during these humid summer months

IMG_3787.thumb.JPG.673b93d6d46fadbd217a987ad9d2ed66.JPG

Next up, the moment we've all been waiting for

IMG_3786.thumb.JPG.54a2c2fb161bb5d2b3d2bcca87ef0984.JPG

Hershey Entertainment and Resorts President and CEO, John Lawn takes the podium

IMG_3785.thumb.JPG.7965502a82ea9831af3eb3a703dbcd14.JPG

And Candymonium ensues!

IMG_3748.thumb.JPG.08267b2bf229dff1f3dc6a562f37262e.JPG

The park entrance will be forever changed in 2020

IMG_3784.thumb.JPG.f2a62da4fb6464d9f10c8e69dd6aeaae.JPG

This will be the fastest coaster in the park, just beating out Sky Rush

IMG_3783.thumb.JPG.3a66ae24a1c7e6a05f259440a3a3799c.JPG

It will also be the longest coaster in the park, and last 2 minutes and 26 seconds

IMG_3782.thumb.JPG.c67cc3c1a76c0ec493c900c9e485244a.JPG

More stats on the coaster

IMG_3793.thumb.JPG.764560d3f4c8f4e409d6e9d3282582af.JPG

Here's a pretty good look at the ride's layout. You can see Sky Rush's far turn on the left

IMG_3781.thumb.JPG.f519ff74afeba25fd592de30fdfc2a01.JPG

After the announcement, candy and Candymonium themed milkshakes!

IMG_3780.thumb.JPG.3d902efbad9f2bea591856a8c50994c6.JPG

We're looking forward to another hypercoaster at Hersheypark in 2020.

IMG_3779.thumb.JPG.99f3faeee45fa980c57ce84120f9361a.JPG

Afterwards, a quick couple of rides on some of the park's current coasters. Amazing how low the creek is, considering all the rain we've been having lately. (this will probably be flooded again soon, stupid weather)

IMG_3778.thumb.JPG.9c54981e6bb150433270d8e092cfc43e.JPG

And to end our brief time at Hersheypark, a ride on Storm Runner, because the soft restraints were one of the best things Hershey ever did to a great ride

I would have called this something like "the Full Bar" or, hell: "Hershey's Rollo Coaster"

Rollo is Nestle....

Even looked it up on Wiki just now:

Rolo (pronounced /ˈrəʊləʊ/), referring to the roll-styled candy, is a brand of truncated-cone-shaped or frustum-shaped chocolates with a caramel middle. First manufactured in the United Kingdom by Mackintosh's in 1937 (followed by Rowntree's after the takeover in 1969), they are made by Nestlé, except in the United States where production has been licensed to The Hershey Company.

Same thing with KitKat. Made by Nestle all over the world except in the US where they are made by Hershey.

Hersheypark has always been pretty unique for an American theme park, with theming, shopping, and restaurants starting before you even are admitted into the park. With the announcement last year that the park entrance will be expanding and changing into Chocolatetown, this will make the park even more unique, as Chocolatetown will be open year round with some food and shopping open year round. But the biggest change hinted at was the giant hypercoaster teased as the cornerstone of this expansion. Today they finally announced more about the park's new for 2020 "15th" coaster and I had a chance to attend the ceremony, so let's check it out, shall we?

Thanks for your detailed review! Are they expecting to have the coaster open until Memorial Day, we might visit the park in mid June so I hope they have it ready?

Rollo is Nestle....

Even looked it up on Wiki just now to make sure I'm not crazy:

Ah so it is. That said I doubt they would theme something after a product they dont wholly own.

In regards to retracking Wildcat, wasn't Ghostrider in a pretty bad shape and the full retrack really brought life to it? There was some slight re-profiling as well but I think a retracking could also do it wonders too.

If they're going to invest in Wildcat, I'd prefer they RMC it since the twisted layout is similar to Lightning Racer. GhostRider had one of the best wooden coaster layouts so it made sense to preserve it there.

But back to the 2020 addition, great coverage!

Although I live in the Baltimore metro area, I've always considered Hershey Park my home park b/c it is the one that I went to every year as a child. I am very excited about the new hyper coaster! I like that they have two hyper coasters that really provide two unique experiences. Skyrush, is an aggressive hyper twister with tons of ejector airtime, whereas, this new ride will be an out and back with tons of floater airtime. The name is curious, but fact that a park themed to chocolate is a thing is equally peculiar. Bottom line, I am super excited to live so close to a park with so many world class coasters!

Thanks for your detailed review! Are they expecting to have the coaster open until Memorial Day, we might visit the park in mid June so I hope they have it ready?

I asked them if the plan was to have it opened for Memorial Day weekend and they said yes, but also that since it is such a large amount of construction between the coaster, the main entrance, and all the shops, etc that the weather this summer and especially this upcoming winter will factor into the opening majorly.

I really liked their wild mouse. 3 years ago when I rode it, Wildcat's main issue was washboarding at the bottom of the first couple of drops, exactly like SFA fixed on Roar. Of course Roar could now use a bit more attention, but that's wood coasters for you. Don't build 'em if you don't want to have to rebuild them. Initial cost cheap for a reason. I also think Wildcat has a better layout than Roar, despite coming first. Love both of them. Of course, to some it's not even about getting something better, they like to hate. Fortunately most parks ignore them out of necessity, but we've still lost some good rides to the complainers.

What the story on Fast Track this year? Looks like the merge points aren't all at the stations and it might not be that good here. Visiting on Sunday and prob wont spring for it, but it's good have the info. Thanks.

This looks like a great addition. Will be interesting to see the crowd difference between this and Skyrush. The few times I've been there since Skyrush was added it hasn't had a line out of the station by the afternoon. I expect this will be a lot more popular.

As far as Wildcat, I think it's a fine ride but it's still the third best wood coaster at the park by a wide margin. Even if it was retracked it would probably still hold that position, so don't really see a need for that. RMC it if anything.

I love Hersheypark, and I love, love, love this addition and expansion for them! I think B&M Hypers are all excellent coasters, and this one looks like it has some of the best features, and environment, of the lot of them! I also think the whole new front area is fantastic, and can't wait to see it in person, hopefully next year!

As for Wildcat, it's definitely on the rougher side of the coaster spectrum, but when it comes to the re-tracking vs. RMC debate, I'm not sure why it's even a debate... As others have said, even a retrack isn't likely to make the coaster move up much in rank in its own park, let alone anywhere else. Meanwhile, an RMC conversion has 100% of the time, proven to be an improving investment, and a great hit for a park. I'm not sure there's really any downside to a conversion, if they decide to address Wildcat, and if anybody seriously thinks it being the first GCI will have any bearing on whether HP decides to RMC it or not... Well...