Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 733 - Two Villainous New Thrill Rides for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Postby Sportsdude360 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:58 am

^ SF only has one MPS in their possession, that one is headed to SFOT. It is not known if they plan to purchase any more of these since they cost close to 10 million dollars a piece. The one headed to SFOT was originally intended for Dubai, but that didn't work out, so now it's headed to OT. SFOG is rumored to be receiving an S&S 4D in place of Splash Water Falls.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Seddy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:11 pm

^I really hope that isn’t gonna be what we get next year. I feel like SFOG (being one of the first Six Flags parks) should get something out of the ordinary to replace such a classic ride in the park. We have all the other ‘cloned’ attractions at this point - even one other parks dont have (Superman). With the removal of Splash, we are missing another major water ride. BUT a good, compact launched coaster would round out our coaster lineup. I guess we’ll find out in a couple of months.
Former SFOG Employee (2005-2006). Former GASM Op(2005). Former Thunder River Op(2006).
Favorite Woodie - El Toro --- Favorite Steel - Dèja Vu (Long live the GIB)
SFOG Ambassador - Per My Mother. (Lol)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:46 am

Yeah, how dare they add a cloned water ride to replace such a "classic"... uh... cloned water ride.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby TEDodd » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:20 pm

coasterbill wrote:Yeah, how dare they add a cloned water ride to replace such a "classic"... uh... cloned water ride.
Pretty sure Seddy directed that at the S&S 4D not the MPS.

But anything is better than a defunct, non-operational ride.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:13 pm

Either way, the ride that you’re replacing is a cloned ride... and it’s a cloned ride that sucks.

(Not that it ever matters if something is a clone anyway because 99% of park guests don’t care)

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Lotologist492 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:06 pm

While this park is one of the only SF parks without a launched coaster - and such a ride would be a great fit, I do not believe the space currently occupied by SWF would be the most ideal for a launch coaster. An S&S 4D would fit there while a launcher would be better suited for the back of the parking lot adjacent to Pandemonium. Whatever does get built in the former SWF location will be part of ScreamPunk District. It looks like this underdeveloped theme area will be getting the most attention in the coming years.

Postby DILinator » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:33 pm

I agree that a S&S Free Spin seems like the most likely addition there. However, every Six Flags installation of these coasters so far has come with a DC theme, and while the entrance to SWF does/did come back to where the edge of Screampunk District now is, the coaster itself would be nestled right in between DC Super Friends theming, and Metropolis Park theming, and I suspect that it will be DC themed as well. Especially since they place big logos right on the coaster for whatever the DC character is, it would fit in very well there with a DC theme. They can either leave the entrance where it was for SWF, since it's not far from either the DC Superfriends entrance, or the trail on the backside of Carousel Hill, or they could potentially create a new entrance closer to the actual ride. I don't think that's really necessary though, and they'll probably leave it as is. There are already three different themed areas in that junction area there, including the DC Heroes Store right around the corner, so I don't think it'd be a stretch to have it there, and not have it be a part of Screampunk District. I do agree a launched coaster (perhaps a Maxx Force clone, or something like it) will likely come soon, in a couple years or so, and be a part of Screampunk District.

As for the theme? If an S&S Free Spin is the way they go, and it's DC themed, it's obviously not going to be The Joker or Batman at SFOG, so I honestly think they'll go with Wonder Woman, like SF did for their Mexico installation. Not only would it be a character that didn't have a major ride at SFOG before (I suspect they'd just re-theme the Flyers to a lesser DC character, such as Shazam - Shazam's Flight School would fit right in with the movie's plot as well!), it would pretty much coincide with the next Wonder Woman movie coming out the beginning of June 2020. It'd be the perfect storm of marketing for SFOG!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Mike240SX » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:36 pm

SFGAdv has DC themed rides in the "DC Section" but also:
-2 in a carnival/military base area.
-1 in a western themed area.
-1 in the main midway/lakefront area.

Surrounding theming means nothing to Six Flags.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 145
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby TEDodd » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:40 am

coasterbill wrote:Either way, the ride that you’re replacing is a cloned ride... and it’s a cloned ride that sucks.

Isn't that the SF way? I certainly don't think of SF for original, one of a kind rides. Or even custom versions. I've surprised at the variation with the Cyclone conversions.

But a water ride to replace a water ride would be better than a dry ride.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Seddy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:01 pm

coasterbill wrote:Either way, the ride that you’re replacing is a cloned ride... and it’s a cloned ride that sucks.

(Not that it ever matters if something is a clone anyway because 99% of park guests don’t care)

What didn’t suck was the ability to get wet on a hot Georgia summer day, without having to wait in line. I have memories from my years as a youth - standing on that bridge with a big smile on my face as the boats approached the drop. Im sure there are several long-term Georgia residents who have the same memories. No other ride in the park offered that experience. It may have been a ‘cloned’ ride but it was a ‘cloned’ ride that satisfied - Which is why it was there for as long as it was. Im sad to see it go.
Former SFOG Employee (2005-2006). Former GASM Op(2005). Former Thunder River Op(2006).
Favorite Woodie - El Toro --- Favorite Steel - Dèja Vu (Long live the GIB)
SFOG Ambassador - Per My Mother. (Lol)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!