TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

p. 34 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

Had a nice visit to the park yesterday. I was satisfied with how short the lines were for all of the rides I wanted to check out. Alpine Bobsled and Sasquatch were both closed unfortunately. I never found out what was wrong with either rides, and looking at Alpine Bobsled I wondered if it's in consideration for removal. Only managed one ride on Comet in the blue train and was very impressed. I noticed that there were no circus shows throughout the day even though the sign listed several show times. Out of curiousity, how much busier is the park on a typical weekend in the summer? I guess that this park used to see a lot more consumer traffic over the years.

Even on a weekend, crowds are very manageable. Comet is usually no more than a 1-2 train wait. The coasters running one train can get a 20-30 minute wait if you time it wrong.

The two rides that can get long queues are Raging Rapids on a hot day and Alpine Bobsled because of its putrid capacity.

With regards to Alpine Bobsled, I honestly have no clue how much it has run this year. An employee told me they just list it as closed on the app by default even if it's open. So there's no way to look back at QueueTimes to see how much downtime it has truly had. I will say that I saw it running on June 29 and have a photo to prove it.

IMG_6373.thumb.JPG.22f97ac98cea075a1c76229e65a35560.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I can't help but comment.As you can tell by my screen name,the Great Escape is my home park and the Comet my all-time favorite coaster.Being older now (61) ,I don't go as often.I did go back on Father's Day and took 2 consecutive rides with my daughter in the rain and the air-time was great as always.Regarding the Bobsled, I always ride when I can and it's a fun,smooth ride.Up until about 6 years ago it was open on a more regular basis

Most of you are probably too young to remember, but the most difficult credit was Nightmare at Crack Axle Canyon.an indoor coaster that use to be up in Ghost Town.It had like 3 trains that held 4 people each so capacity was horrible.It was open from 1999 to 2004 and I might have got 6 rides

^ When I rode Nightmare in 2000, I thought the capacity had been halved. They only allowed 2 riders per car. That line was the 7th circle of hell.

I don't remember liking the ride much, but that was probably because 7 year old me was stunned it took 1.5-2 hours for 100 people to ride.

^ When I rode Nightmare in 2000, I thought the capacity had been halved. They only allowed 2 riders per car. That line was the 7th circle of hell.

I don't remember liking the ride much, but that was probably because 7 year old me was stunned it took 1.5-2 hours for 100 people to ride.

I remember trying to ride it but it broke while we were in line and they removed it the year after so sadly I never got the credit.

Opening day of Nightmare @ Darien Lake.... 6 hours. Yeesh. As a kid I thought the ride was meh but looking back it was a pretty cool ride. The line though, always... Yeesh.

I think they tried return times towards the end of the ride's life.

• 3 weeks later...

^ Usually I'd say to look at QueueTimes, but I don't trust the data there.

As of June, the park was listing the Bobsled as closed everyday by default. When I just checked, it looks like they've gone to the other extreme since the Bobsled has been listed with 100% uptime over the past week. I know that's impossible since the ride has to close everyday at 6 pm.

I can say it was running on a beautiful sunny day at the end of June from personal experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Bobsled was indeed open last Saturday. Got to the park around 2 and it opened right as we got to the sign. Waited about 15 minutes until they called for a group of 2. It's a fun little ride, but pretty short; I prefer it to flying turns. As we left the station the line had grown extremely long, probably about 2 hours or so! I'm glad I got on it but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it's removed in the next few years.

Update: Bobsled was indeed open last Saturday. Got to the park around 2 and it opened right as we got to the sign. Waited about 15 minutes until they called for a group of 2. It's a fun little ride, but pretty short; I prefer it to flying turns. As we left the station the line had grown extremely long, probably about 2 hours or so! I'm glad I got on it but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it's removed in the next few years.

Bobsled has been rumored to leave for years. Ill believe it when I see it, glad you got to ride it though seeing as how unreliable it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Six Flags Great Escape Resort, New York’s Most Thrilling Resort Property, announces the Adirondack Outlaw. This high-flying ride will have guests catching maximum airtime and experiencing 360-degree rotations of heart-pounding excitement. The head-over-heels exhilaration of Adirondack Outlaw will elevate riders to unmatched heights as they travel more than 50 mph. This rebellious ride swings 16 stories high, offering spectacular views of Lake George.

sfge-ao_1.thumb.jpg.776f81e2a2d3cfbf22f5c9af1749c075.jpg

sfge-ao_2.thumb.jpg.c2307d6d96228a54eb405bf12e14a62a.jpg

sfge-ao_3.thumb.jpg.f8c29496ab35eeb77fc057d821663f84.jpg

sfge-ao_4.thumb.jpg.1f92984935f69152c159d25d00d58bc9.jpg

sfge-ao_5.thumb.jpg.ea29bbcc9ed224f798e03709bc3fedb6.jpg

sfge-ao_6.thumb.jpg.23b313ba0d067d546cc09539dd637b16.jpg

sfge-ao_7.thumb.jpg.9cdc3b62c9e9c63464b3635c3275f41c.jpg

sfge-ao_8.thumb.jpg.7555f0e5e0c921b5fb087cdbc933106a.jpg