TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Steel Curtain is better than Phantom's Revenge in my opinion. Phantom's 2nd drop is incredible and the speed and smoothness are fantastic. But like i305 and other coasters it's poorly designed and requires trim brakes in places where they ought not be needed. Steel Curtain doesn't have trims and should never need them. It's design is perfect in a way that allows for it to carry speed throughout the inversions and entire layout. The transitions and flow are fantastic.

Would have liked to have tried Steel Curtain in the front row. The pacing was great. Just a lot of vibration for a brand spanking new coaster.

I love Phantom in the front seat, that dive into the ravine is tremendous. I’m more of a speed guy over inversions.

Just curious...I have about 4 hours I can spend at kennywood next Wednesday. 8 coasters in the first 4 hours the park is open on a Wednesday...Do you think it's possible without VIP Coaster Tours? Also, I see they're having some kind of youth event next week too. I'm thinking impossible.

Sky Rocket back up?

Yes

Just curious...I have about 4 hours I can spend at kennywood next Wednesday. 8 coasters in the first 4 hours the park is open on a Wednesday...Do you think it's possible without VIP Coaster Tours? Also, I see they're having some kind of youth event next week too. I'm thinking impossible.

Depends on the crowd. But I would say no as it's usually busy, especially Steel Curtain.

Without Steel Curtain in the mix, I would say you could definitely do them all by hitting exterminator first. If you got there before park open and could get on one of the first Steel Curtain trains and then knock out exterminator, hood likeky be in good shape. But the park is way more than just the coasters so I agree, a full day is the right speed.

Are they not allowing preferred seating at this point on Steel Curtain?

Also, will the park have more than one weekend of Phantom Fright Nights this year? Or is it just a two day event? The calendar doesn't go past September currently. For those who've been to PFN, what do you think of it? Should I wait to go until then, since I've never been? Is it crazy crowded? Thanks in advance!

Are they not allowing preferred seating at this point on Steel Curtain?

Also, will the park have more than one weekend of Phantom Fright Nights this year? Or is it just a two day event? The calendar doesn't go past September currently. For those who've been to PFN, what do you think of it? Should I wait to go until then, since I've never been? Is it crazy crowded? Thanks in advance!

They are assigning seats on most days but will usually accomodate seat requests. The line for front could be an additional 20-45min at times.

Regarding PFN, it typically runs through October. I think it's worth a visit but it gets pretty crowded. Lines for the haunts can exceed an hour.

How have lines been during the middle of the week for Steel Curtain? I'll have 8 hours worth at the park on Wednesday, maybe 9. Never been there. I'd like to get at least 2 rides in as well as enjoy the rest of the park.
39-120min depending on weather

How have lines been during the middle of the week for Steel Curtain? I'll have 8 hours worth at the park on Wednesday, maybe 9. Never been there. I'd like to get at least 2 rides in as well as enjoy the rest of the park.

Well, so far, it's supposed to be pretty nice that day. I'll make sure that I have my phone charged, and I'll bring my hat.

Well, so far, it's supposed to be pretty nice that day. I'll make sure that I have my phone charged, and I'll bring my hat.

Should be able to cover the entire park in that timeframe depending on the crowd. And they don't have free WiFi so phone battery life can vary depending on carrier and signal strength.

Interesting. Surprised they are offering an unlimited with SC included as well. Definitely a pretty penny with not enough non-coaster rides IMO but maybe when I see the lines I'll think differently...

I'm considering a visit this weekend, I also noticed the website said 1 train operations on Steel Curtain... but with VIP that doesn't matter as much. If I can buy at the park for the same price I'd rather wait to purchase.

As asked above, does anybody know how pricing is at the park?

Out of curiosity - I've been seeing around that Kennywood used to have a laser show at least up until 2017. is this still the case?

It was up until last season but has been removed this year. Steel Curtain forced the removal of a few of the fire effects in the lagoon and created some obstruction for the lasers.

^ Dang thats a bit of a bummer, though I’d of course rather have Steel Curtain, I am quite the fan of laser shows as well.

It was okay... nothing to write home about... Darien Lake's is far better.

'

The show hadn't been updated in several years. So hopefully it eventually returns with something fresh.

Stopped at Kennywood on my way back home to Cleveland after my big East coast trip. I'll get around to a trip report eventually but just wanted to say that Steel Curtain is great! It isn't as thrilling as one would expect by looking at it but it is very smooth, has great flow, and keeps it's speed nicely throughout. Just a great fun ride that's easy to just throw your hands up and enjoy.

It is the perfect compliment to Phantom. Phantom packs the aggressive punch, while Steel Curtain is big and intimidating looking which will always make it be a draw to GP and enthusiasts alike. Kennywood has a true winner on their hands.