Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: coasternut, Woodie Warrior and 32 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:27 am

rjr19 wrote:Welp, that didn’t take long, Valravn closed again.

I mean... rides are going to have brief breakdowns throughout the day.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby teacherkim » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:00 am

Got back last night from a few days at CP & Hotel Breakers. Not going to take the time to do detailed trip review but a few notes and observations on things that have been discussed lately:

Rides - everything was running very well Sat night, Sun, and Monday. Any shutdowns I observed were minimal and there was nothing down for an extended period of time that I know of. Other than Gemini which went down twice while we were in line, it seemed to be our cursed ride of the trip and was frequently only running one train. Valravn ran the whole time with two trains. TTD had a brief shutdown on Monday evening but we are talking maybe 30-45 min. And SV had a few very brief shutdowns due to "guest illness" in fact lots of protein spills on SV while we were there, including two rows behind us while on the break run waiting to come in....and that was the first train of the day on Sunday morning! Yuk.

Lines - about as crowded as I've ever seen it on Sat when we got in about 4:30. So we took our time checking in and then had some dinner and since it was a midnight close caught some rides late night. Sun we had FL+ and worth every penny, seriously. Monday was lighter, not quiet by any means but lighter and manageable.

Food - after all the discussion here and my extreme anticipation of Melt I was a little disappointed by my meal there BUT upon retrospect, I really ordered the wrong thing. Got a sandwich that was fried (I was thinking in a pan, like a panini) but it had been coated with funnel cake batter and deep fried, so rich I could only eat about a quarter of it and I'm no slouch eater. My bad, should have read the menu more carefully. However, my son and dad both got much simpler grilled cheese sandwiches and they were delicious (yes I tasted them) and fries and salad were tasty. Will go again and be much more careful about what I order. We also had a meal at Famous Dave's and despite my usual "meh" reaction to bbq it was admittedly pretty tasty. Did not get a chance to try the new Backbeat bbq, Johnny Rockets and Pinks were exactly what we expected.

Water park - since we had a little extra time this visit we spent a few hours Mon afternoon at the water park. Not the most unique or exciting water park I've ever been to but certainly respectable considering the minimal number of days it is actually warm enough to use it! It was a relaxing break and a nice way to cool off. There is also a nice little 21+ pool that is fenced off from the rest of the park. If I had to pay a large amount extra for a ticket I don't think it would have been worth it but we were able to add on the water park to our 3 day tickets for a very minimal amount.

Forbidden Frontier - hmmmmm, well, ummmm....how to say this. I like the concept but frankly it was kind of boring. The entry with the bouncy walkway or raft was cute, but not sure it's something most people would be interested in more than once. The kids playground is nice and that whole area is well shaded with lots of comfy chairs and hammocks. A good place for a break if you have little kids for sure. But overall I just didn't feel they explained the interactive concept clearly enough. I saw some people walking around but not really participating in the find the treasure map thing because I'm just not sure they got that there was something to find. Seems they needed to advertise/explain the idea a bit better. We did see some "characters" but there was minimal interaction. Now we were there late afternoon and maybe being between shows for back there it was just a quiet time, but there just wasn't much going on. Curious to see if they do the same interactive activity next season or if they change it from year to year. I agree with whomever said it would benefit from a ride, particularly a log flume, back there. Although I realize they just took a log flume out of that area. It just needs "something".

Hotel Breakers - I know it's expensive and I know if you are just looking at the room, it doesn't seem worth the price....BUT if you can swing it is so super damned convenient to be right there, particularly if you have people in your group that might need a break in the afternoon. Will never stay off property. Also, as hotel guests I was able to get a 3 day park to park ticket for $86, I did not see this option on line, they had a two day for $80 but that's it so worth asking about.

Weather - while I realize this is completely out of everyone's control. I must say that this is the first time it has ever been what I consider warm at CP. I was there once in June with highs in the 70's (nice but not warm) and once in May where it was in the 40's and raining; I had so many layers on I almost had to take the walk of shame. So despite the forecast I did not trust the wind from Canada and still threw hoodies and raincoats in the car. We did not need them, it was all summer this time around.

Overall a fun trip, my Dad tagged along and was flabbergasted by the size of the whole complex, he really had no idea having only experienced our local park, SFSTl, he particularly enjoyed the "running of the Steel Vengeance bulls" as I call the early entry horde that races to SV. One funny note, now that he is a ride ops himself, my son was suddenly noticing things he never noticed before about the differences between operations at SF and CP. He was most affronted when he realized that every attendant at a line entrance got a stool AND a phone, lol.

Postby teacherkim » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:09 am

Oh and I totally forgot to say.....zipper pouch for phone on the ride. Brillant! Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby MiABeta » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Does anyone know why Corkscrew is closed? It’s been closed all day (at least every time I’ve checked) and when we went of Windseeker it was stuck at the base of the lift.
Also the park is pretty dead for any day in July, maybe the tropical system scared everyone off because I’ve never seen it like this on a weekday in July. All rides have had sub 60 minutes wait times with most not running all trains, and Raptor and Rougarou only had one.
Top 5 Steel: Steel Vengance, Maverick, Millenium Force, Kraken, Montu
Top 5 Wood: Shivering Timbers, Blue Streak, Zach's Zoomer, Mean Streak, Wolverine Wildcat
Mean Streak: Never Forget - But Steel Vengeance might've stolen my heart.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:02 pm

^ Corkscrew just being screwy. She's an old girl and sometimes gets cranky. And yeah, a dead day at the Point is a rarity in July, but it does happen. Enjoy it, don't try to figure it out.

Postby Intamin_coyote » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:04 pm

djcoastermark wrote: Enjoy it, don't try to figure it out.

Exactly! that's management's problem to worry about :lol:

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby rjr19 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:22 pm

MiABeta wrote:Does anyone know why Corkscrew is closed? It’s been closed all day (at least every time I’ve checked) and when we went of Windseeker it was stuck at the base of the lift.
Also the park is pretty dead for any day in July, maybe the tropical system scared everyone off because I’ve never seen it like this on a weekday in July. All rides have had sub 60 minutes wait times with most not running all trains, and Raptor and Rougarou only had one.

CP coasters running one train? I’ve never heard of THAT happening before. Jeez
Six Flags Darien Lake is my home park..... :?r

CURRENT COASTER COUNT: 63 ....yeah I need to go to more parks lol

TOP 10: 1.) Steel Vengeance, 2.) Millennium Force, 3.) Leviathan, 4.) Mako, 5.) Behemoth, 6.) Maverick, 7.) Top Thrill Dragster, 8.) Ride of Steel, 9.) Yukon Striker, 10.) Valravn

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby SteVeUrkle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:49 am

teacherkim wrote:Not going to take the time to do detailed trip review

...then does exactly that lol.
Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:30 am

rjr19 wrote:CP coasters running one train? I’ve never heard of THAT happening before. Jeez

They never really do it unless it rains. It rained yesterday morning so a lot of rides probably went up with one train and since it wasn't crowded they probably took their time adding more since it was dead and it didn't really matter.

... just a guess, but that's a pretty typical scenario.

Postby teacherkim » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:12 am

SteVeUrkle wrote:
teacherkim wrote:Not going to take the time to do detailed trip review

...then does exactly that lol.

Lol, see your point, but I meant one of those 5 parters with pictures and such!

PreviousNext