TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Rumor has it that SoG Goliath was designed and intended to be for Six Flags STL.

That's long been speculated, and I'd have to assume it's probably true. From what I remember, the station was supposed to be located in the spot where American Thunder was later placed, in 1904 World's Fair near the moon cars? Could be wrong about that. The layout of Goliath was a tight fit for SFOG, so I'd imagine they probably had to change the design quite a bit when the decision was ultimately made for it to go to a different park. If the rumor is actually true I think it's pretty obvious that we all would have liked to have Goliath and it would have given us that "signature steel coaster" that we are still lacking.

Speaking of Bull I though that was the hyper you guys were supposed to get back then while we were going get Mr. Freeze.

I've heard the rumor that there was a third Mr. Freeze planned for Great America for 1999, but I don't believe that Raging Bull was ever planned for SFSL. Because at the time, Six Flags opened and was expanding SFGAM's Southwest Territory area in planned "phases", the first was Viper in '95, then the main area with the mission and the flat rides opened in '96, followed by Giant Drop in '97, and then Raging Bull in '99. But again, could be totally wrong. If we got screwed out of a hyper coaster twice, that'd be pretty sad

Rumor has it that SoG Goliath was designed and intended to be for Six Flags STL.

That is pretty interesting, I wonder what changed?

That's long been speculated, and I'd have to assume it's probably true. From what I remember, the station was supposed to be located in the spot where American Thunder was later placed, in 1904 World's Fair near the moon cars? Could be wrong about that. The layout of Goliath was a tight fit for SFOG, so I'd imagine they probably had to change the design quite a bit when the decision was ultimately made for it to go to a different park. If the rumor is actually true I think it's pretty obvious that we all would have liked to have Goliath and it would have given us that "signature steel coaster" that we are still lacking.

That would had a very different change and look to that side of the park, I know American Thunder is loved and is a wonder what they were able to squeeze into that plot of land, but still a hyper to draw spectators and fans would have been awesome. Its a shame we couldn't had both.

Edited by jamesk25

Goliath and Raging Bull weren't intended for SFSTL. The SFSTL hyper died in the very early development stage due to another park in the chain failing to get local approval for American Thunder. SFSTL had the ideal plot of land to place American Thunder in and the hyper as a result was shelved.

The plot of land next to toll booth plaza with the random paths on it was a picnic area. However very few people used it and instead had there picnics in the grass medians in the parking lot. Eventually the park removed the picnic tables from the area. The dog kennels are still in use as are the restrooms located next to them.

I think that was a good call on their part in the long run, even though not ground breaking, American Thunder fits really good with the rest of the parks line up and is a solid coaster for many.

As with the toll plaza area, I wonder if there has ever been any talk to repurpose that land, or even turn it back into a picnic area and brighten that area up again. As for the dog kennel, do they ever mention it? I have never seen them advertise or ever point out that it's there. Does any other park in the chain have a dog kennel or is that unique to SFStL?

Goliath and Raging Bull weren't intended for SFSTL. The SFSTL hyper died in the very early development stage due to another park in the chain failing to get local approval for American Thunder. SFSTL had the ideal plot of land to place American Thunder in and the hyper as a result was shelved.

The plot of land next to toll booth plaza with the random paths on it was a picnic area. However very few people used it and instead had there picnics in the grass medians in the parking lot. Eventually the park removed the picnic tables from the area. The dog kennels are still in use as are the restrooms located next to them.

I think that was a good call on their part in the long run, even though not ground breaking, American Thunder fits really good with the rest of the parks line up and is a solid coaster for many.

As with the toll plaza area, I wonder if there has ever been any talk to repurpose that land, or even turn it back into a picnic area and brighten that area up again. As for the dog kennel, do they ever mention it? I have never seen them advertise or ever point out that it's there. Does any other park in the chain have a dog kennel or is that unique to SFStL?

SFoG has a dog kennel - right under the turn for the drop into the 2nd loop of Mindbender.

SFoG has a dog kennel - right under the turn for the drop into the 2nd loop of Mindbender.

Quick search proves our park is not unique with a dog kennel, here is a website listing every park in the US with a dog kennel.

https://blog.gopetfriendly.com/theme-parks-and-tours-with-dog-kennels/

And I looked on SFStL website and they list the pet kennel as free which is awesome to anyone who has a dog traveling with them

PET KENNEL

We know you love your pets and we love animals, too. Six Flags St. Louis offers free kennel facilities as a service to our guests. "Park-a-Pet" is located in the parking lot area, just past Toll Plaza. Please see the Toll Plaza Attendant to reserve a kennel for the day. Pets are not allowed inside the park with the exception of service animals. Pets cannot be kept overnight, and must have current vaccinations and registration tags.

Also I actually did not know Holiday World offered dog kennel's

Do you know which park Evel Knievel/American Thunder was originally designed for?

I remember the year American Thunder opened. I was still too short to ride. I had to wait until 2009 to ride it. It is a blast to ride.

Does anybody know of any rumors with meat to them for 2020?

I remember the year it was being built and my first ride after, as that was the first time I had been to Six Flags and the Fright Fest the following year.

As for rumors no, the most we know is we are getting a ride, most likely a flat since they are supposedly keeping Tidal Wave. Were it will go, I have no clue, no one hasn't talked or seen any site prep besides the work on Tidal Wave. All we can do is speculate, and hope for the best.

Generally positive review of SFStL from vlogger Theme Park Worldwide. Since they go all over the world and see the best of the best, I thought they would be more critical. Anyway, passing along b/c I think this may be the only video trip report of SFStL, clocking in at over an hour. (Not sure if we can link to another website so I held off)

I'm really late to the game on the long conversations taking place. I was on a 9 day trip to Philadelphia, SFGadv, NYC, Toronto, and Canada's Wonderland. (shameless brag)

As far as the brief tourbillion mentioning goes, I hope that's not the case. I saw one operate at SFGadv. I wanted to take a look, since it seemed like such a cool concept that I thought would provide great visuals. Emily and I sat there for at least five minutes waiting for the ride to cycle. The operators, despite being typical unmotivated operators, seemed to have a lot of complications when loading. I'm not sure why. Once the ride did cycle it wasn't that entertaining to watch. I heard no screams, no laughter, and none of the typical howls of excitement. When the ride stopped, a very short time later, most looked dizzy or bored. Seriously. An endeavor is more entertaining to watch and from all of the usual guest howls, it seems much more fun.

It's good to hear Tidal Wave is coming back. Given what seems to be SF's recent business strategy I'm sure we'll get something. I can only wish that whatever we get comes with some refurbishment of the general area it's in.

On another note, Emily and I still need to get to the park this year. Due to several factors I'm not sure that will happen.

^ Yea, the more I think about it, the more I consider the Tourbillions to be a bit of a failed experiment. They're certainly interesting concepts and are eye-catching, but combine a difficult loading process with neutered Six Flags operation cycles, and you get disappointment. When observing the crowds at Great Adventure, Wonder Woman seemed to be an instant hit, while Cyborg is nearly always a ghost town.

If I were you guys, I wouldn't hope for a Tourbillion.

I liked Harley Quinn at SFOT, but in my multiple rides, the only times I really enjoyed it was when sitting at the end of the row - so I was getting "leg chopper" effects at every spin.