TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports Land

Nice report! For the record, Boardwalk Bullet was designed by Gravity Group (it's noted if you look at the bottom of its rcdb page). You were likely confused as the manufacturer is listed as Martin & Vleminckx, but these guys are actually the manufacturing company that installs most of GG's rides (GG mostly just designs the coasters, and possibly fabircates the trains and other parts, not sure). You probably didn't care about that, but now you know.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome reports as usual, Bill. I still can't believe that sh*t about the stadium but it's hilariously how quick everyone jumped on gaming the system for cheaper parking. I really enjoyed both the SF Texas parks when I was down there last year, and I'm hoping I can get the rest of the family on a plane down sometime in a cooler season so they can check them out for themselves. Didn't get a chance to make it out to Galveston but after your report that's a must-do next time we're down that way as well.

Love the Galveston report,

We cruised out of there last xmas (Disney) and thought it was great. Weather was s*** when we were there and it actually snowed in Houston (which made front page news...understandably!!) which didn't impress the Canadian and the Scot that much!

I feel the same as you with the Boardwalk Bullet. I got off wondering if I really should have enjoyed it as much as I did (it never seems to get many comments on this forum).

I am hoping you stopped at "Buc-ees" on your travels in Texas. We wish they would bring that place up to Toronto (and the UK). When they say everything is bigger in Texas...they ain't wrong...including their service stops! Stopping enroute to Montreal/Ottawa/London/Glasgow is so boring now compared to that place!

• 3 weeks later...
Excellent report. That Poop Deck restaurant is so intriguing, whenever I get down to Texas for the first time (which is most likely going to be next May! Excitement!) I hope my parents put Houston on the itinerary, it sounds really cool.

Thanks!

**Checks age**

Um... just to be clear, the first and second statements are totally independent of eachother right.

Love it, another excellent update. Boardwalk Bullet was one of my first "bucketlist" coasters when I got one of my first TPR DVD's years ago. I still haven't ridden it but it looks wild. I just watched a POV tho. Still looks wild.

It is wild. You'd love it but don't get Grizzly'ed.

Great report! I also loved Boardwalk Bullet last year, but I remember seeing a lot of fresh wood. I can definitely see how a layout that aggressive could be brutal without TLC.

I agree that Star Flyer at Galveston is fantastic. There's nothing quite like swinging out over the water. That's why I actually really like Cedar Point's Windseeker when it actually decides to operate.

Same here. I know everyone's dancing on that ride's grave before it even dies but I like it and hope they keep it forever.

In New York City or Hollywood (for example), drivers are very skilled but also colossal assholes. In rural Pennsylvania, people have no idea how cars or roads work and they believe that they get a dollar every time they tap the brake pedal on a wide open highway for no reason. They're not assholes, they're just absolutely incapable of operating a car. Texas is the best of both worlds. People are colossal assholes but also have no idea how to drive. Other than my first time driving in New York City I've never actually feared for my life while driving but Dallas... wow.

Nailed it.

Galveston is actually a pretty cool place and I probably like it better than most, if only because it is the closest beach to me. That's a cool story about the dive bar, but yeah that dude's a moron.

Yup

I'm afraid that the new stadium is going to lack all of the charm of the old one (yes, it has some, I've grown fond over it in the last 25 years) and that they will keep the roof closed far more than it's open. I went to a game in April where there was rain around the area that missed the ballpark and the game time temperature was 70 degrees with a steady 15 mph wind. It was awesome. In the new stadium, the threat of rain would have likely kept the roof closed.

If I'm reading right, you did Dallas to Galveston to San Antonio in one day. That is some hellacious driving. Galveston is pretty touristy but still has a little grit that hasn't been whittled away by hurricanes. Port Aransas to the west near Corpus Christi is even more rough than Galveston.

Yeah, the concern about the roof is probably valid and you're probably right. Don't the Astros like to close it to make it louder or some bullsh*t?

And yeah, hellacious driving is kind of my thing.

Oh my god you aren't lying about Texas drivers. They're in Orlando a lot and they're always either in a Sierra 2500 with 18 additional wheels cutting you off on the highway, then slowing down to 10 below the speed limit, or they're in an extended-length Tahoe making a right turn out of the left lane and nearly ending your life. Or, worse, they're a rental Tahoe with a Texas plate, which is even more unpredictable.

I f*cking love Boardwalk Bullet and the entire Kemah Boardwalk, too. I'm actually a big back-row fan of that coaster, the laterals are so crazy and aggressive but I would never accuse it of being rough, either. If you have "Thunderhead Derangement Syndrome", where you're a p*ssy and can't take Thunderhead, then you won't like Bullet, either.

Awesome reports, really loving it!

I love this entire post. Thanks!

Awesome reports as usual, Bill. I still can't believe that sh*t about the stadium but it's hilariously how quick everyone jumped on gaming the system for cheaper parking. I really enjoyed both the SF Texas parks when I was down there last year, and I'm hoping I can get the rest of the family on a plane down sometime in a cooler season so they can check them out for themselves. Didn't get a chance to make it out to Galveston but after your report that's a must-do next time we're down that way as well.

Glad to hear it! I'd love to go back to Texas for a Holiday in the Park trip. The parks are great but the heat is not.

Thanks for posting... except now I have a shit song stuck in my head.

**ck you doo doo doo doo doo doo

Suffer

Can't wait for the Fiesta Texas installment!

One day...

Love the Galveston report,

We cruised out of there last xmas (Disney) and thought it was great. Weather was s*** when we were there and it actually snowed in Houston (which made front page news...understandably!!) which didn't impress the Canadian and the Scot that much!

I feel the same as you with the Boardwalk Bullet. I got off wondering if I really should have enjoyed it as much as I did (it never seems to get many comments on this forum).

I am hoping you stopped at "Buc-ees" on your travels in Texas. We wish they would bring that place up to Toronto (and the UK). When they say everything is bigger in Texas...they ain't wrong...including their service stops! Stopping enroute to Montreal/Ottawa/London/Glasgow is so boring now compared to that place!

We never stopped at Buc-ees but we passed a few and thought it was the most excessive, Texas thing to ever exist .

You probably didn't care about that

Nope

GREAT Galveston update (i missed it since we were on a plane to St. Louis when you posted it). So glad you commented so it popped back to the top of the page.

we haven't been to Poop Deck in years, but too funny - looks (and you describe it) EXACTLY the same.

glad you had a great visit.

Buc-ees is really only known for 3 things:

Clean restrooms

Jerky (lots of varieties)

Beaver Nuggets

when/if you make it back to Texas, be sure to pop in to try the last two. .they make great "car snacks" while sitting stuck in I35 traffic

Excellent report. That Poop Deck restaurant is so intriguing, whenever I get down to Texas for the first time (which is most likely going to be next May! Excitement!) I hope my parents put Houston on the itinerary, it sounds really cool.

Thanks!

**Checks age**

Um... just to be clear, the first and second statements are totally independent of eachother right.

Lol I didn't mean it that way. Don't worry, I don't drink.

^^ Okay. I'll ask. So what the heck are Beaver Nuggets?

here's a link to an article on the 5 best things to eat at Bucees

https://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/the-5-best-things-to-eat-at-buc-ees-the-convenience-store-of-the-gods-6430007

Note: #2 & #1 are Beaver Nuggets & Jerky, respectively.

if you don't wanna click the link, here's the pertinent info:

2. Buc-ee's Beaver Nuggets

Contrary to what these sound like, Beaver Nuggets have nothing to do with rodent droppings. They are, in fact, sweet, buttery corn puffs whose name is a nod to Buc-ee's beaver mascot. The nuggets are Buc-ee's No. 1 selling item among all stores, and even the smaller locations that may not carry fudge or bakery items carry Beaver Nuggets. They taste a lot like the kids cereal Pops, but bigger, plumper and more sugary. And they're really easy to eat in the car. Like, it's a little too easy to keep eating them until you stick your hand in the bag, wave it around frantically and find that there is not a single golden nugget left. Good thing there's another Buc-ee's on the horizon.

• 3 weeks later...
GREAT Galveston update (i missed it since we were on a plane to St. Louis when you posted it). So glad you commented so it popped back to the top of the page.

Thanks! Thanks for the info on Buc-ees too. I'm thinking we're probably heading back next year for a Holiday in the Park trip since I want to check out the new Sea World coaster and go back to SFFT and SFOT. If we do, I'll make sure we go to Buc-ees.

So if I REALLY hurry and bang out these Texas reports I'll actually get them done within a year of the trip. Right now we're about 2 days away from the 365 day mark so this dream is totally about to die but hey... it's worth a shot. I'm really quite the overachiever.

So young... so full of hope... so naive...

Sorry guys, this dream is officially dead. Like... so dead. Like... "dude who killed a Flamingo a few years ago and then went out for a morning jog" dead. Deep down you know you expected this though.

Anyway, after a day of crazy driving it was nice to wake up in our hotel room about 10 minutes away from our destination. We took it slow, slept in a bit, grabbed breakfast at the hotel and were still on out the door 30 minutes before park open. Now we just had to find the place...

IMG_0698.thumb.JPG.b4b5fdad459346d2c8334e47feb21429.JPG

Uhhhhhh.... what?

IMG_0699.thumb.JPG.c6b36b8fe153d21a77c008cc7474fd7a.JPG

Excuse me... I think we're lost. We're actually just looking for Six Flags. It should be the big shithole with asphalt everywhere and Snickers ads..

IMG_0655.thumb.JPG.48a427a3d01a33a6b70f13469642f11b.JPG

Unfortunately we never managed to find anything that looked like a Six Flags in San Antonio, but after awhile we just gave up and decided to spend the day at this lovely little Busch Gardens park instead. I don't know where the f*ck Six Flags is but this surely can't be it.

We planned to get Flash Pass, but (at least when we were there) we were told that Wonder Woman was single use on all levels. Rather than going to the Flash Pass booth right away, we decided to wait for the rope to drop and make our way over to Wonder Woman right at opening before picking up the Q Bot (do they still call them that?) to get a bonus ride in.

Railbllazer was teasing us a few months prior since we visited Great America right before the ride's public opening and got to see a few test cycles. These are wild looking rides. They look like they came straight out of a cartoon and the speed that they take each element would earn you one of those coveted "ultra extreme" intensity ratings in Rollercoaster Tycoon.

Once the rope dropped we made our way back at a brisk (but not insane) pace so we ended up with a brief wait of about 10 minutes behind the maniacs that decided to stampede back there in 100 degree heat (almost running over some small children in the process). It's rare that we get on a ride with absolutely no clue what to expect, but I was totally hyped for this super weird looking mess of a ride.

IMG_0658.thumb.JPG.238eeba275a87edb7905f81f2eb84ca7.JPG

Let's ride

There's only so much you can do to help this ride's capacity, but I'm pretty impressed with the setup. The trains never stopped moving and seats were assigned before you got up to your car so everyone knew exactly where to go and got loaded and checked really quickly. Because of the loading system, ride ops were all walking around with wireless buttons that presumably stopped the train when pressed. That's probably not a new thing, but I've never seen it before.

We didn't care to make seat requests but were lucky enough to get the back rows just by blind luck. Brit (who was sort of afraid of the thing) happily offered me the very back and I wasn't about to argue.

So how was the ride?

... insane. I can't really think of anything like it (well... Railblazer, but you smartasses know what I mean). Every single element is taken at ludicrous speeds but the entire experience is butter smooth. The airtime is batshit and the ride sort of blends together into one giant blur of craziness.

IMG_0663.thumb.JPG.e2b5dbc3461bc6416d895cf3c2a9619d.JPG

The ride is also VERY photogenic but everything at this park is...

We sort of knew we'd get Flash Passes eventually, but we decided to see how far we could get without needing one and took advantage of an otherwise-empty back of the park. We figured we'd make Batman our next stop, but on the way we took some time to appreciate just how NICE this park is.

IMG_0666.thumb.JPG.8734158bb2b83de86f200670b6042a93.JPG

This isn't a Six Flags. Don't lie to me.

Brit did some soul searching and decided that she wasn't going near the free spin, but I actually really enjoy these things so I decided to pop in for a walk-on ride.

IMG_0667.thumb.JPG.fe9241304af5184629c6786731958dba.JPG

Sorry... this looks awesome. Can we Six Flags-ify this a bit?

Untitled.jpg.6bc94d5db14b3408a03927ff56c8b1dd.jpg

Thank you.

As is always the case with these things, the ride was a lot of fun. It's a really weird experience and it almost feels more like a nutty flat ride than a coaster but if Six Flags wants to keep cloning these things everywhere I absolutely wouldn't complain. Brit might though

Next up was Superman Krypton Coaster, a ride that's been universally praised as the best in it's class (at least in America) and one that we were really excited to try out. The premise was simple, take a pretty standard B&M floorless layout but stick it in a ridiculous location.

IMG_0670.thumb.JPG.6f0e4516d06b2722e74013fbf15e47fd.JPG

Let's do this

IMG_0732.thumb.JPG.464905f48491121867aae2384fa3d5c2.JPG

How cool is that?

No "hot take" from me, I can't really argue with the consensus that this is America's best floorless. Diving up and down the cliff is super cool and it really serves to turn a good ride into a great ride.

I sort of expected something more... "wild west-y" at the top of the quarry than a huge shopping mall though.

The temperature was already getting oppressive and the crowds were picking up so we decided that it was just about time to admit that we had a good run and grab a Flash Pass. It was WAY too hot to deal with lines and people (two things that I absolutely can't stand ).

On the way to the Flash Pass building we did snag a quick ride on Poltergeist as it was still just a station wait. We had learned our lesson with Mr. Freeze refusing to work in the heat so we figured now that we had topped the 100 degree mark it was probably best to get this one out of the way.

IMG_0674.thumb.JPG.e50170df02e721b44923a74aa6a223d1.JPG

Spooky...

These are fun rides. Obviously I much prefer the Flight of Fear rides in the dark, but there is something really impressive about actually seeing that tangled disaster of track. It's a fun visual from the midway and it's super cool while you're on the ride too.

Blastoff...

We were dying of heat at that point and our New York bodies that weren't built for Texas heat were about die and turn into actual poltergeists so we grabbed a Flashpass and retreated to the beer hall. My new plan for "waiting in line" was to go to an air conditioned bar, have a beer and let the Flash Pass do the waiting for me. 108 degrees? Get f*cked.

IMG_0696.thumb.JPG.74d60017a1e4c9dd777629f1aff3e282.JPG

Now this is my kind of line...

As all Flash Passes were single use on Wonder Woman, we grabbed the cheapest one. It's been my experience that Flashpass wait times are always under reported even on the regular Flash Pass so I never saw a need to spring for a more expensive one and that theory proved true again today. Despite queue times (and my eyes) showing a 60 minute wait for Iron Rattler, the Flash Pass listed it at 20. Just enough time to finish my beer

IMG_0676.thumb.JPG.6453ceedfe7d018217c3b7bc3fe9eb05.JPG

Iron Rattler in the distance

IMG_0678.thumb.JPG.9283011d38891261f34255b7dcfd8e21.JPG

It's so hot that this poor snake is sweating out of his teeth

Unsurprisingly, this was one of my most-anticipated rides of the trip but I'll admit that I was trying to dial my expectations back a little bit after Texas Giant. I really liked Texas Giant, but compared to other RMCs it was very tame. It was great but it didn't feel like an RMC. If anything I figured that this ride's location diving off of a rock quarry and through a (real) tunnel inside the quarry wall would make it awesome but I basically went in not knowing what to expect.

IMG_0683.thumb.JPG.627ddd165fe64e08132e3b2eddd7513e.JPG

That location is ridiculous...

Since we were virtually waiting for another ride anyway we decided to get in the slightly longer line for the back car to get the true experience for our first ride. Our wait time was a little bit longer than expected but luckily that just meant that we'd be ready for our next ride when we got off and we got to take in some cool views of the ride from the back of the station.

The ride is amazing looking diving over, through and off-of the quarry. It almost looks like a Rollercoaster Tycoon pipe dream and not a real ride. After watching train after train come back to applause it was finally our turn, and despite trying to temper my expectations we were both pretty hyped.

The lift is slow, but awesome as it gives great views of the park and surrounding area. At the top, the lift slows way down and let's you look down to the water and the crazy drop that you're about to barrel down. Brit grabbed on for dear life, and I threw my hands in the air. I was sort of getting the feeling that we were in for something pretty awesome.

Up next, Six Flags Fiesta Texas Part 2

Great report ending with a literal cliffhanger.

I agree 100% this park looks way too nice to be a Six Flags. I really need to take Emily here to renew her faith in Six Flags as her experiences with the chain are SFNE, Great Escape, Darien Lake, and Discovery Kingdom.

glad you had such a great time at my Home park. . sorry I missed y'all when you were here (but didn't know you were here)

Wonder Woman is insane in the back, but the front is fantastic too if you like floater air.

did you get a lot of spins on Batman? since Fiesta's in the original, I've found it's a bit more "spinny" than the clones.

looking forwards to the rest, Bill.

Well, if you're going to have a cliffhanger, Fiesta Texas is the best place to do it! Glad you liked this park; it really is the best of the bunch (though I really like Great Adventure as well). Old Rattler was a piece of garbage; the Iron version is incredible. That right there is proof of why if you have a crappy roller coaster, you should call RMC right this second.

My new plan for "waiting in line" was to go to an air conditioned bar, have a beer and let the Flash Pass do the waiting for me. 108 degrees? Get f*cked.

Good plan, your smarter than you look.

From these shots it is hard to believe this is a Six Flags park, it looks great and makes me want to visit. Thanks for another rock solid and entertaining trip report.

Some questions, Did you sneak a peak at Aventure Pointe along the freeway between Houston and Galveston? Did you hit up the Space Center with its refurbished Mission Control in this 50th aniversary year of the moon landing? If you drove between Houston and San Antonio, did you forget or intentionally pass by ZDT's. That's a fun little coaster.

Great Pics. I just got back from Europe. We dud Port Aventura, Disneyland Paris, Europa, Phantasialand, Tivoli and Eftelinf but I can't find the enerfy to spend hours in reports yet.

I, too loved Boadwalk Bullet and Iron Shark. I hope the onwers plans to expand his Downtown Houston Aquarium with rides comes about one day.

One of the stated reasons for teplaceing the baseball stadium in Arlington was because of the excessive heat where even at 9pm in the summer it can be 95 degrees without any heat index to also contend with.