Lakemont Park changes

Park to re-open Memorial Day Weekend 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Re: Lakemont Park changes

Postby DBru » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:22 am

I rode a Twister at Gun Town Mountain in Kentucky sometime around 2003. I remember it being one of the craziest flat ride experiences ever. The spinning was relentless in the best way—like a tilt-a-whirl on allll the drugs. Glad to see one of these lives on!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:51 pm

We had a Twister come to us during our annual fair, The PNE, years ago.
Just loved riding it, and watching everybody freek out on it, LOL!
And I am pretty sure it was the Herschell one. :smile:
Twister.jpg
At the PNE, long time ago. Photo from Vancouver Archives.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby coasterer » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:05 am

I was really excited to finally get to Lakemont this year - but just noticed on rcdb that Leap the Dips is still listed as SBNO, and upon closer inspection on the park's website, Leap the Dips is listed as not open (just for today though). I hadn't heard anything about it not opening and had just assumed this would FOR SURE be the coaster that was open this year with the rebranding.

Anybody have more information?? We'll probably still go anyways, but I've been trying to ride LtD for like 6 years now and each time it's never worked out.
Favorites: Voyage, T-Express, Goliath (WW), Medusa Steel Coaster, Boulder Dash, Katun, I 305, El Toro, Storm Runner, Mega-lite, Shivering Timbers, Alpengeist, Millennium Force, Thunderhead, Nemesis, Skyrush, Prowler, Atlantis Adventure, Thundercoaster, Maverick, Jungle Storm, Cornball Express, Behemoth,

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby tndank » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:09 pm

For the last 3 or 4 months on Facebook they keep suggesting it'll open soon. I heard someone saw workers on it recently.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Taylor Finn » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:21 am

^^I was at the park a week or so back. Between my first visit in June and now, Leap the Dips looks much much better. Lots of fresh paint and seems like some general work is being done. I noticed a second car had been moved from the depot and yeah, it looks better than it did when the park was open a few years back. I would think they intend to open it this season. After all this work, I am sure they would be disappointed otherwise.

Skyline, on the other hand, needs a lot of work. It doesn't ride that rough. But I don't think I've been on a wooden coaster that looks this bad. It can't cost *that* much to give the coaster some fresh paint.
IMG_6764.jpg
IMG_6765.jpg
IMG_6766.jpg

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby CenturyFlyer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:52 pm

Here's hoping for a quick reopening. I had the perfect day to go there over a month ago, but alas, Leap the Dips was closed. If TTD at Cedar Point doesn't reopen before next week, LtD could very well end up as my 100th coaster. That would be cool.
There is only one true Blue Streak!

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby coasterer » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:19 am

We did end up going to the park a few days ago, and I have to say I was pretty impressed! It was very clean and generally not dumpy-looking. Skyliner wasn't necessarily smooth, but I thought it rode decently well and was a pretty enjoyable lap. Leap the Dips looked really great. Love the ride's old school station/entrance/stage thing.

I don't hate their pricing model at all, I thought it was really fair. You have to buy tickets for individual rides (you can't just buy 10 tickets and use them for whatever). For anyone with kids, each ride has a different policy in terms of how old/tall/capable you have to be to ride it alone or what constitutes a qualified "adult chaperone". For us this meant that we thought we could get away with our nephew taking our son on a bunch of things (it's also what we were told at the ticket counter), but this was not always the case and we ended up having to buy a few extra tickets that we didn't plan on. Would have just been easier for one of us to buy a wristband, and really $20 is not a bad deal at the end of the day. Especially considering that it includes mini golf, go karts, and the splash area.

I thought the place was great and love the small "city park" vibe. Seems like a super enjoyable and affordable afternoon for local families. Will definitely make the trip back when we're in the area and LtD is open again.
Favorites: Voyage, T-Express, Goliath (WW), Medusa Steel Coaster, Boulder Dash, Katun, I 305, El Toro, Storm Runner, Mega-lite, Shivering Timbers, Alpengeist, Millennium Force, Thunderhead, Nemesis, Skyrush, Prowler, Atlantis Adventure, Thundercoaster, Maverick, Jungle Storm, Cornball Express, Behemoth,

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Taylor Finn » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:05 pm

^I agree with much of what you said. But there’s no reason they can’t just sell all tickets in $1 increments and then set the coasters at 3 tickets and the other rides at 2. And then if you want to have a special go kart ticket you could or it just be 6 tickets. In it’s current state, you have to pre decide what you’re going to do and buy those tickets. Which slows the customer AND staff down when they’re providing you with 8 different tickets. And then you need to find your specific ticket when you want to ride.

Knoebels is... much much easier. And I just go and buy a bunch of $20 books and let it fly. Lakemont is not encouraging spending, instead creating a barrier.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!