TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I've rode many Disk 'O rides before...They're pretty fun so I make it a point to ride one at every park I go to. And the only one I've ever been told to put my hands down and hold the handle bars is at Dollywood. Of course, I obeyed and did as the park requested, because always follow park rules. But I was just wondering if anyone has ever been told that at another park on a Disk 'O before or is it just a Dollywood thing? I've just never heard it before and the ride operator there at Dollywood was kind of passionate about it too...Constantly screaming at everyone while the ride is in motion, "Put your hands down!" And even after the ride, the line operator would scold little kids and grown ups for their constant raising of the hands. It was just weird to see. Now, Dollywood has the right to do whatever, it's their park and their rules. I just felt that there was no joy in the operator's tone. I also kind of got that vibe at other rides too. Ride operators over microphones saying park rules over and over again...With no sense of joy in their job. There was no, "How did you enjoy your ride" or "Who's ready to ride" or any kind of message with great joy for them or the guests. I understand that parks have to put up with all kind of bad behavior from guests and I'm sure Dollywood has had to deal with a lot of it also with the amount of guests they entertain on a daily basis...But I'm kind of worried that Dollywood is getting a little beat down by it and letting it show. I was at Silver Dollar City the month before, who is operated by the same company, and the ride operators there were joyous and happy and interactive in way that made you feel welcome. While at Dollywood, it felt like they were kind of unhappy and beat down, no joy whatsoever. Not going to say it was that way for every ride, but the majority of them felt that way. And I hate to say this about Dollywood, because I love the place! It's a park I go to every year and will continue to go there...But I am a little worried about them though.

I kind of got that as well too and then on top of that the poor employees having to wear overalls and themed outfits for their rides in this heat. I asked one and she said that the overalls were required and that only parking lot employees were allowed to wear shorts and she said it was supposedly a safety issue. I'm sorry but I think heat exhaustion would be more worrisome then maybe some leg bruise or a scratch.

Heading to Nashville next week for a weekend trip and then sneaking up to Dollywood on Monday the 22nd before flying home. Despite all the awesome things I hear about this park I know pretty much nothing specific about it. Are there any admission specials available anywhere or is the $74 on the website the cheapest way in? Was in VA a couple weeks ago and hit KD and BGW for half price, but not seeing anything like that for Dollywood. Is it worth purchasing TimeSaver? $40 for unlimited rides seems like a steal to me but not sure how well it works in comparison to, say, Cedar Point's Fast Pass. Checked QueueTimes today and everything is less than a 30 minute wait. Is that typical or is that quieter than normal? Is it one of those things I should go to the park and see how the lines are or will it sell out quickly? Should I start getting my hopes up for Lightning Rod or do I have a better chance of it being down than open? Will also take recommendations for must-ride flats, must-see shows, or must-eat food.

Also, I should have a few hours Sunday afternoon so if anyone has recommendations for Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge it would be appreciated.

I'm also making my very first trip to Dollywood next week. I'm leaving Valleyfair this Sunday at 1:00 am driving 15 hours overnight will work out great because I should arrive at the hotel around check in time 2:00 pm stay overnight sleep then do Dollywood on Tuesday all day. I was also wondering I'm planning to visit Dollywood on a Tuesday for one full day is the Time Saver also worth the extra money or should I wait till I get to the park? How is Dollywood's fast lane do they move pretty quick? And with the weather there forecasting Thunderstorms every day that week. Dollywood is the first stop on my trip then driving over to Carowinds will also be my very first visit for 3 days then driving up to Kennywood for a day on Saturday after Kennywood heading to Cedar Point staying at Hotel Breakers for 4 night stay after Cedar Point going to Kings Island for 2 days then heading home.

Just saw where Hallmark channel will start filming “Christmas at Dollywood” next month. That explains why the lights are already starting to go up when I was there last week. Thought it was WAY too early this year.

I'm also making my very first trip to Dollywood next week. I'm leaving Valleyfair this Sunday at 1:00 am driving 15 hours overnight will work out great because I should arrive at the hotel around check in time 2:00 pm stay overnight sleep then do Dollywood on Tuesday all day. I was also wondering I'm planning to visit Dollywood on a Tuesday for one full day is the Time Saver also worth the extra money or should I wait till I get to the park? How is Dollywood's fast lane do they move pretty quick? And with the weather there forecasting Thunderstorms every day that week. Dollywood is the first stop on my trip then driving over to Carowinds will also be my very first visit for 3 days then driving up to Kennywood for a day on Saturday after Kennywood heading to Cedar Point staying at Hotel Breakers for 4 night stay after Cedar Point going to Kings Island for 2 days then heading home.

I've never visited Dollywood on a weekday with Lightning Rod operational. The longest line I've seen on a weekday is 30 minutes for the rapids, Firechaser Express, or Mystery Mine. On weekends, Lightning Rod has the longest wait.

Their Timesaver gets you on the coasters very quickly. Usually you can get on Lightning Rod in ~2 trains. Firechaser and Tennessee Tornado usually get you on the next train. Wild Eagle is the only one that can get a decent Timesaver wait (up to ,20 min) since the merge point is further back.

I know Dollywood can run out of Timesaver Unlimited passes (Lightning Rod is unlimited on this one despite the webpage being confusing about this), so it's a bit risky to wait and play it by ear if the park is busy.

Also, I should have a few hours Sunday afternoon so if anyone has recommendations for Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge it would be appreciated.

Can you be more specific on what type of things you are looking to do? The amount of attractions in the area can be overwhelming so it is hard to make a recommendation without knowing more.

Look back through this thread. Tons of responses to similar questions.

As for TimeSaver also discussed a lot.

I doubt a Mon or Tue will be very busy.

I've never visited Dollywood on a weekday with Lightning Rod operational.

This season?

As far as I've seen it's been up nearly every day this season.

Check the link you posted recently.

Link

Shows it was up this week.

I don't have time to look back right now, but the data is there.

Lightning Run was running both days I was there, the first day it was a 50 minute wait in the morning. I noticed as we were walking the park there was one point we crossed the RR tracks and we walked through a cave-like tunnel and a couple of parts inside of it was boarded up. I was just curious if anyone knew what used to be in the cave tunnel or has it always been a storage area?

That was their version of The Flooded Mine that is currently seen at SDC:

And here is a video with pictures referencing it but no on ride footage:

Edited by sdcfan88

As I kid I loved that section of Dollywood. Flooded Mine and Blazing Fury next to each other was the place to be. Great video there. Brought back lots of memories.

On Blazing Fury I love that they added a little nod to the old Flooded Mine years ago. You can see one of the miners trying to escape off to the right near the beginning.

That was their version of The Flooded Mine that is currently seen at SDC:

And here is a video with pictures referencing it but no on ride footage:

The Flooded Mine was actually where Daredevil Falls is now. The tunnel used to have an attraction on top of it that was similar to Grandfather's Mansion at Silver Dollar City. I think it was called like Inventer's Mansion or something but it closed several years ago. It also housed the original location of Dolly's Rag to Riches Museum. Inside the tunnel, they used to have the gem mining shop and then an arcade.

The building was in bad shape and pretty sure they recently tore it down.

Thanks, it was a shame to see it boarded up and not being used. It would make a good location for a dark ride of some sort. It's definitely a good place to go to if you want to cool off without having to go to a show to do it.

Just saw where Hallmark channel will start filming “Christmas at Dollywood” next month. That explains why the lights are already starting to go up when I was there last week. Thought it was WAY too early this year.

That’s very interesting! I’ll have to remember to keep an eye out for the special to air or hopefully someone here will post. How did you find out they’re going to be filming that? I didn’t see any Xmas lights going up when I was there 2 weeks ago so it must have just started!

That’s very interesting! I’ll have to remember to keep an eye out for the special to air or hopefully someone here will post. How did you find out they’re going to be filming that? I didn’t see any Xmas lights going up when I was there 2 weeks ago so it must have just started!

A lot of the buildings in craftsman area are outlined already. They’re probably using that area a lot since it’s the most “Smokey mountains Dollywood” in the park. Interesting they are switching to LED ( that area still used all incandescent probably for the warm look) wonder if they need the brightness of LED to read better on camera?

I've rode many Disk 'O rides before...They're pretty fun so I make it a point to ride one at every park I go to. And the only one I've ever been told to put my hands down and hold the handle bars is at Dollywood. Of course, I obeyed and did as the park requested, because always follow park rules. But I was just wondering if anyone has ever been told that at another park on a Disk 'O before or is it just a Dollywood thing? I've just never heard it before and the ride operator there at Dollywood was kind of passionate about it too...Constantly screaming at everyone while the ride is in motion, "Put your hands down!" And even after the ride, the line operator would scold little kids and grown ups for their constant raising of the hands. It was just weird to see. Now, Dollywood has the right to do whatever, it's their park and their rules. I just felt that there was no joy in the operator's tone. I also kind of got that vibe at other rides too. Ride operators over microphones saying park rules over and over again...With no sense of joy in their job. There was no, "How did you enjoy your ride" or "Who's ready to ride" or any kind of message with great joy for them or the guests. I understand that parks have to put up with all kind of bad behavior from guests and I'm sure Dollywood has had to deal with a lot of it also with the amount of guests they entertain on a daily basis...But I'm kind of worried that Dollywood is getting a little beat down by it and letting it show. I was at Silver Dollar City the month before, who is operated by the same company, and the ride operators there were joyous and happy and interactive in way that made you feel welcome. While at Dollywood, it felt like they were kind of unhappy and beat down, no joy whatsoever. Not going to say it was that way for every ride, but the majority of them felt that way. And I hate to say this about Dollywood, because I love the place! It's a park I go to every year and will continue to go there...But I am a little worried about them though.

I asked an employee about the hands rule on the Disk 'O, and they said it was due to how the restraints operate on this particular (older) model. Once restraints are "locked" they will no longer open, but they can continue to ratchet forward while the ride is in motion. The hands-down rule is to help guests brace themselves against the back to prevent any unnecessary tightening of the restraint during the ride cycle. I highly doubt it would cause any injury, but I'm sure it could easily frighten a small child (or an adult ).

Also, the operator I talked to was very happy and kind, so hopefully your experience was just a fluke!

Shooting a Christmas movie in August is going to be miserably hot. Can't imagine wearing sweaters in mittens in that heat. Also won't the foliage make it obvious that it is summer? I guess it's Hallmark so the details aren't that important.

Shooting a Christmas movie in August is going to be miserably hot. Can't imagine wearing sweaters in mittens in that heat. Also won't the foliage make it obvious that it is summer? I guess it's Hallmark so the details aren't that important.

I was thinking the same thing lol! I guess they will edit out the leaves in post production....

Yeah, shooting in August for a December release doesn’t sound like we’re talking Oscar contender.

Yeah, shooting in August for a December release doesn’t sound like we’re talking Oscar contender.

Guess you haven't seen the two NBC movies, Coat of Many Colors and Christmas of Many Colors, or A Smoky Mountain Christmas from '86.