TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Took an extra day off from work on the end of my VA vacation to stop at GAdv on the way home and it is absolutely dead today. Arrived at noon and within the first hour rode Cyborg, Justice League twice, Batman in back, Nitro in back, and Skull Mountain in back. Glad I stopped by.

• 2 weeks later...

Where's a good place near SF to grab a somewhat quick meal and a beer for dinner? For lunch, do they have wraps or anything remotely healthy in the park? We like to eat at least somewhat clean for lunch and we don't care as much for dinner.

There's not much down that road, honestly. I know there's a McDonald's and a Wawa, and maybe a couple other fast food places?

I'd say you would be best off picnicking in the parking lot, but the security line is stupid there. I'd suggest the Go Fresh Cafe. It's not great, but it's healthier than the others they offer. Liberty Tavern has the beer U want.

Where's a good place near SF to grab a somewhat quick meal and a beer for dinner? For lunch, do they have wraps or anything remotely healthy in the park? We like to eat at least somewhat clean for lunch and we don't care as much for dinner.

The area by the park doesn't have much. I usually eat in Hamilton (20 min away) after I leave.

I think there's a gyro place by El Toro that looked to have some healthier options. No clue how good they are though.

There was nothing edible at all in the park when I visited a couple of years ago, and the area seemed to be predominantly fast food / gas station food. I'd plan alternatives well in advance if possible.

Yeah, your best bet is Wawa because everything else is crappy fast food and a weird pizza place. That said, all of those places will be packed after the park closes so if there's something closer to wherever you're staying that would be a better bet. I like Wawa, it's not the greatest thing out there but it's the best option by the park by default.

PS: If you do go to Wawa it's on the left but you have to turn right to get there because Jersey. If after going right to go left you’d like to complete your cultural Jersey experience at Wawa you’re also welcome to pull up to a gas pump and have someone pump your gas for you.

I was at the park today and it was dead . I got lots of rides in - 37 without a flash pass. Had to leave early because of the storm moving in. I could've had a lot more.

Wonder Woman is still fenced in, and there was no activity at all by it today. It looks almost complete. I was hoping to ride "her" when I was there . It looks like Crazanity at Magic Mountain in LA. I enjoy that ride a lot -- lots of airtime. Is there a reasonable guess for the opening? I'll be back in September for "Riding of the Bull." I'm hoping she's up then.

If you’re really looking for a place for beers and good food, you could always give the Plumsted Grill a try. It’s a little under ten minutes from the park in the opposite direction from 195 (back where 537 turns into a two-lane road). Food and drinks are good and reasonably priced. That said, there isn’t anything else around it, so it’ll also depend on where you guys ended up choosing to stay. If you’re closer to Hamilton or Freehold, it’s better to try and find something more closer to there.

Just don’t go to Tommy’s next to the KFC, no matter how desperate you are for a drink. It sucks. Hard.

And if you don't have time/don't feel like waiting for the front. Honestly, as long as you sit in any of the front rows of a car, its considerably smoother than in the the backs of one.

...But as for the question above. Yea, probably not gonna happen. Those restraints have been available for nearly a decade already, so if SIX haven't bothered to put in them yet, I don't see them installing now or anytime in the future.

And honestly, the restraints aren’t really a problem on Kingda Ka (at least for me). It’s not like there is headbanging or anything. The train just jackhammers and shakes like crazy. Soft strap restraints may help a little for certain people, but I feel like the ride will never be as smooth as Dragster no matter how soft and comfortable the restraints are. It’s just a result of a higher center of gravity than Dragster’s cars and poorer maintenance and upkeep.

I’ve only ridden Dragster twice compared to about 30+ rides on KK but I prefer Ka for the sole fact that I thought the launch on Ka was a bit stronger. I always ride in the front because both rides are underwhelming in any other row so roughness is not a factor for me and the OTSRs just don’t bother me.

Went to the park today, the cranes are still all around wonder woman, honestly I'm curious as to how long it's gonna take to get it back open. Just made a quick couple hour stop to pick up my membership pin.

In other news this has been a really high and low year in terms of coasters for me it started off on a very high note with multiple trips down south and culminated with a big trip to Cedar Point. Unfortunately, right around that time I developed what doctors say is an anxiety disorder after having a really bad panic attack. It just so happened this happened while I was at Cedar Point. Ever since then I have been unable to ride coasters as it triggers this intense anxiety that sometimes leads to panic attacks. As an enthusiast this is a nightmare and something I never even knew could happen until it did. So now, I am taking my time trying to get back into the swing of things. In my first trip to Great Adventure since all this started I could barley bring myself to even ride the Runaway Train, which is crazy because up until all this began I could get on any coaster without an ounce of fear. Today was my second trip since this began and I pushed myself to do the Runaway Train twice and Skull Mountain once. By the second ride on the Runaway Train I felt a bit more confident. I am really hopeful in beating this and getting back to doing what I love because not being able to ride all my favorite coasters sucks, but any progress is progress. So for now I'm gonna keep taking weekly Great Adventure trips and push myself a little bit more each time.

I get it, man. I have issues with anxiety too, and it's amazing how it can hit something perfectly normal that you've done for years. In my case it was driving. Counseling and medication helped, and I've been good for a few years now. Talk to your doctors; it's a slow process, but you can come back from this.

I get it, man. I have issues with anxiety too, and it's amazing how it can hit something perfectly normal that you've done for years. In my case it was driving. Counseling and medication helped, and I've been good for a few years now. Talk to your doctors; it's a slow process, but you can come back from this.

Thanks, it means a lot. It's hard to understand if you haven't experienced it, but I'm going to push forward. Roller Coasters have been my passion since I was 11 or 12 years old and it's not something I'm ready to give up. It's gonna take time and a lot of work, but I plan on getting back to riding eventually.