TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I’m going to great adventure in late July during a weekend. Any tips?

Get a cheesesteak at Johns Roast Pork.

In all seriousness, Rayj, you'll have to provide more detail as to what you like / don't like and what your musts are. Without that, some standards:

- Get Flash Pass

- El Toro in the morning (same goes with Kingda Ka if it's running)

- Safari right after riding El Toro

- If you're interested in Green Lantern, just punch yourself in the head a few times and walk away. Same experience without wasting time in line.

- Earn the "Coasterbill Trifecta" Badge by riding Sky Ride, Log Flume, and Skull Mountain (but only in the back row)

^ I used to hate Green Lantern, but I found a way to enjoy it (as well as any B&M stand-up). Bend your knees and pull the OSTR down so it is firmly on the top of your shoulders. The goal is to get your head above the OSTR so you don't get headbanging. Plus the bike seat should be well below your crotch in this position.

In all seriousness, Rayj, you'll have to provide more detail as to what you like / don't like and what your musts are. Without that, some standards:

- Get Flash Pass

- El Toro in the morning (same goes with Kingda Ka if it's running)

- Safari right after riding El Toro

- If you're interested in Green Lantern, just punch yourself in the head a few times and walk away. Same experience without wasting time in line.

- Earn the "Coasterbill Trifecta" Badge by riding Sky Ride, Log Flume, and Skull Mountain (but only in the back row)

I won’t be getting a fast pass, but I will be staying all day Saturday and half a day on Sunday. I’m looking forward to doing the major coasters and Wonder Woman. I will do KK first and el toro second. Is superman even worth it? Lol.

I won’t be getting a fast pass, but I will be staying all day Saturday and half a day on Sunday. I’m looking forward to doing the major coasters and Wonder Woman. I will do KK first and el toro second. Is superman even worth it? Lol.

Yeah, bigger LOL to not getting the Flash Pass. Have fun getting on like 4-5 rides all day.

I mean, its going to depend on weather but I just don't understand how anyone is willing to travel to park other than their local and NOT budget for a fast pass. Its just insane to me. Especially a weekend, in the middle of the summer season. A couple extra dollars will make the difference between spending hours in line or riding a ton of rides. A gold flash pass will cost you like... $75? If you put aside $20 a week until your trip you'll be able to have a much better time. Just saying.

I am all for flash pass, during summer season, going first time my self a july weekend..

But the question I have is;

Gold or platinum?

Just going 1 day, a july weekend.. is the platinum worth it? Or will gold be more then enough?

I am all for flash pass, during summer season, going first time my self a july weekend..

Gold or platinum?

Just going 1 day, a july weekend.. is the platinum worth it? Or will gold be more then enough?

With how Six Flags runs their system, Platinum may NOT be worth it in SOME cases, but your milage may vary...

Considerations:

- SF's setup usually allows you 10-30 minutes between the time where you reach the FP merge point and they clear your current ride, and when you walkup to your next ride. With Platinum, your wait is usually under 5 minutes, so it's constantly buzzing saying your next ride is ready while you're on the current ride. IMO, it's kind of annoying. Since you have a built in "wait" until you get to your next ride, why pay to eliminate that? Many times, Gold's wait time lines up with this. With a $25-40 difference between Gold and Platinum, I've considered it a waste at times in the past.

- Platinum will grant you access to new and/or massively slow rides. This is based on what's offered (not sure for SFGAdv off hand). Again, base the extra $$$ on your perceptions of these attractions.

The only time I've found Platinum needed was if the brand new ride was only on that level. The wait time between rides is usually 5-15 minutes on gold, so if you reserve your next ride after the merge point, it'll be ready by the time you get off the ride.

John's is amazing, both cheesesteaks and roast pork and for any of the wrestling fans on here, it's legit a block over from the old ECW arena.

Gold or platinum?

You should be fine just getting the gold. We went to SFGAdv last summer on a Friday in July and got the gold flash pass. We would reserve our next ride as soon as we got checked into out current ride. By the time our current ride was over, the window for our next ride was open (or it was open by the time we walked to the next ride). I don't remember much waiting around for our reservation windows to open.

On our visit, the Flash Pass office wasn't open during the early entry. So we rode Joker 2-3 times without a wait since it was right next to the Flash Pass office and then picked up our flash pass.

Edited by VegasBaby

Spontaneously decided to embrace the heat & drive down to the park today at 1:30pm. Got there at 2:45pm and was in the park by 2:55. The park was dead. El Toro was the longest wait of the day, almost an hour even though the line was barely full (just the last set of switchbacks) because no one wants to fill the back of the station & heavier people ignore the test seats (each train had 2-3 minute dispatches due to heavier people in 1 or 2 cars, about 7-8 walk of shames in that time period)

Toro: 3x

Kingda Ka: 1x (front obvi)

Nitro: Lost count, but at least 10.

Batman: 8x

Skull Mountain: 1x

Was eyeing Wonder Woman, but I got spoiled on opening day and rode 3 times without leaving my seat so now I'm tainted and can't justify a wait longer than 10 minutes for it. (It stayed at full queue all day)

Here's some sunset photos I snapped as I left the park at 8:30pm.

IMG-1727.jpg

IMG-1728.jpg

IMG-1729.jpg

Hate to be the bearer of bad news for anyone going to the park today or soon...

Last night some random girl popped up in the Great Adventure Connoisseurs FB group with a seemingly convoluted tale about how she tried to ride Wonder Woman yesterday, but while in line the ride began "shaking violently as if it was going to collapse"/"making strange noises" and then they shut the ride down. Of course the jaded enthusiasts of the group jumped on her for making sh*t up and starting BS rumors, and after a few minutes she simply deleted the thread. End of story, or so we thought.

Today the ride is listed as closed on the app and the website and not only is there a large crane on site/work being done, they even put the construction fence back up...

WWLOT62719.thumb.jpg.22e6b538719f954fec3fa4334e88e7be.jpg

I mean, it could be nothing, right?

^^ I too haven't gotten over there yet since it opened and was hoping to do so over the next week or two since I have some time off around the 4th and not a whole lot of plans. Guess I'm gonna wait-and-see now.

Relevant: it seems all the other giant discoveries within the chain are in fact operating.

OK so via a reputable source @ the park today - the fence is up because apparently the concrete around the ride hadn't completely set because of all the hot weather, so they are repaving over there. There is ride maintenance taking place, but (apparently) has nothing to do with the fence.