TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Thanks for the report! It made me look forward to next month.

I didn't realize you'd be out to Great Adventure so soon! Hope you enjoy it!

Something new to me is that apparently re-rides are not only allowed at this park, but strongly encouraged by the ride operators as well.

Yep, this is one of those things that helps Great Adventure stand out. Growing up going there, I was so used to it. It wasn't until I started to visit many other parks in my late 20s that I realized just how uncommon that practice is.

Boldy will chime in here I'm sure, but you can't go wrong with any of the following:

Geno's* (9th and Passyunk)

Delassandro's (northeast)

Steve's Prince of Steaks (few locations, though I'm pretty sure only the Center City one is open for the summer)

Jim's (on South Street)

Ishkabibble's (also on South Street)

*Some may call it a tourist trap, but it's still the 2nd best cheesesteak I've ever had (whiz and American without), and I've been to all of the above. 1st best is White House in Atlantic City.

We're going to be in Philadelphia prior to going to SFGadv. Where's the best place to grab a cheesesteak?

I'm more partial to a great roast pork sandwich than a cheesesteak, but you can get some really good ones at the non-touristy places without needing to wait 30 minutes as well. Try John's Roast Pork for the best of both worlds. If you make your way over to Reading Terminal Market, DiNic's is good, too, but that one is straight up just roast pork sandwiches.

We're going to be in Philadelphia prior to going to SFGadv. Where's the best place to grab a cheesesteak?

Do not go to Pat and Geno's. That's the only advice I can give.

My friend from Philadelphia took offense when I said my local pizza places were better. Come to find out, Pat and Geno's are the only two places he has ever gotten cheesesteaks from. I feel so sorry for him.

This is a Boldikus question but he sent us to Campo's Deli because it was near all of the historic / touristy part of town. Assuming you'll be in that area anyway that might be your best bet even if some place 3 miles away where it's a pain in the a** to park is technically better. Honestly it was f*cking amazing.

From another thread:

If a cheesesteak is on your Philly bucketlist go to John's Roast Pork. Go to Joe's. Go to Cosmi's. Go to Campos. Go to Delassandros/Chubbys. Go to Phillips. Go to Tony Lukes. Go all the way out to the northeast to go to Steves. But for the love of god don't go to Pats/Genos OR Jim's. It's nice he pointed out that they are tourist traps because it saves me the trouble (but I'll add that all three are absolutely disgusting and if you go at the wrong time you'll wait an eternity and regret your decision).

Signed,

A Philadelphian

If you'd prefer to not sound like a tourist the correct way to order a cheesesteak in city limits is simple. You state the kind of cheese you want (wiz, american, provolone, etc) and either wit or witout (onions). So basically you walk up to the counter and presuming you want wiz with fried onions you would say "steak, wiz, wit".

(P.S. Don't listen to anyone else in this thread try to tell you about Philly cheesesteaks. They ain't from Philly and they don't know what they are talking about)

We're officially the TPR cheesesteak thread now. And now I want one, so thanks.

Dalessandros is super good, one of my absolute faves (its a HUGE sandwich!!! you've been warned!) but be aware its tucked up into a neighborhood northwest of center city/touristy stuff I that assume you'll be doing here? Its not teeeeerrrrribly far but if time is of the essence dont go during peak times like say Friday or Saturday night. Traffic can be bad and there can be a line around the corner. I also wouldn't go there and expect to sit in there and eat. Its small and usually packed. But you'll definitely get the real Philly experience there. Also good about Dalessandros is Chubbys (their "rival") is right across the street and they're not bad either. Some friends like them better. So if one place is mobbed you have another respectable option. A little more on that: https://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/2014/01/21/cheesesteak-rivalry-dalesandros-versus-chubbys/

If you're going to be in town (or "Center City") Campos is good - where I sent Bill and Brit and Andrew. Easy to get to and again if you're not there during peak times you can get a table (indoor or out) and its a nice little spot to hang and people watch. Johns Roast Pork might be the best, or one of the best - but its a little drive/Uber ride from in Center City. Its a completely unassuming small roadside shack near the Delaware River and a bunch of big box Target/Ikea type stores. Its but easily one of the best steaks in Philly. But if you go there also get a roast pork sandwich with long hots and provolone. Sweet lord.

Philly is a city of neighborhoods and they all have their good cheesesteak place - Fishtown has Joe's, Northern Liberties has DelRossi. Old City has Campos and Sonnys. Roxborough/East Falls has Dalessandros and Chubbys. You could go down South Philly for Johns, Tony Lukes, Cosmis or Phillips. They're all good, just don't go to Pats/Genos/Jims or Ishkabibbles (ok you can go there for fries and a Gremlin... but just don't even go to South Street. Its awful).

As far as toppings, its funny with all this talk, I'm realizing I don't really eat cheesesteaks all that much anymore but I do get crazy intense cravings for them sometimes. When I do its just some salt and pepper. I'm a wiz (or provolone) wit guy. I used to always put ketchup on my steaks growing up but I try not to each that sh*t anymore.

Edited by boldikus

Ketchup on cheesesteaks is fantastic. When I actually went to Philly and saw other people putting ketchup on their cheesesteaks I felt vindicated because I always just assumed that I was just weird and nobody else did that sh*t.

Yeah ketchup is a fairly common topping. People also do mayo, which some people find abhorrent but I actually kinda dig. Pickles are acceptable to some, blasphemy to others. Hot sauce. Hot peppers? Raw onion? I dunno. I've found over the years locals all kinda have their own way to top them and are usually skeeved out by the way everyone else eats them.

Then you start to get into stuff like cheesesteak hoagies (cheesesteak with cold lettuce/tomatos/etc) which mannn Ive tried, and some people I know (like Dawn) love them but its the whole hot/cold thing I just cant get into. I love them both, but not together. And then pizza steaks (cheesesteak with mozz cheese & tomato/pizza sauce on top) which I can f*ck with sometimes.

My alternative favorite to a cheesesteak is simply a chicken cheesesteak with salt pepper mayo and extra sharp provolone. Its gotta be chopped tho, some places will give you a chicken cheesesteak with like "cubes" of chicken and yeah... no.

Edited by boldikus

But if you go there also get a roast pork sandwich with long hots and provolone. Sweet lord.

My man.

I like onions, but only in small amounts. I end up finding most places put far too much onion in their cheesesteaks for my taste, so I'm a "wiz witout" guy (notice the "h" is missing, in case you go this route). I, too, am a ketchup man myself, but I'm finding myself putting less and less on recently.

But if you go there also get a roast pork sandwich with long hots and provolone. Sweet lord.

My man.

DUDE. I need to go there right now.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

(sorry everyone)

Thanks. What's your preference with toppings? Which is the most traditional? When I was yelping last night, Delassandros looked really good.

For Del's, I'm a provolone and mushrooms kinda girl. Generally I go straight American cheese, no onions, no mushrooms. Just don't freak out if you order American and it's white American. Orange cheese is toxic and weird.

OK. You guys were supposed to help. Now, I'm mind fffked in a whirlwind of decisions.

Boldi, if you were on your deathbed and you only had one day to have your last cheesesteak, which one would it be and what would you get on it? Or, would you at least be satisfied with Delassandros? I kind of want the tourist 'I've been there' experience that I missed out on when we went to Nashville and found out we had to wait 2-3 hours for Hot Chicken. If we go to the Delassandros we may just try to get there 10-15 minutes before opening so we can get a table. We'll grab something with good ratings on yelp before we head to SFGadv.

Also... what's good to eat in the park?

You guys think spending the last few hours on a Saturday night to get a couple rides out of the way and all day on Sunday with Fast Lane Platinum will be enough time at the park? We plan on getting there around 7 on Saturday night, driving from Philadelphia, and I want to knock a few of the rides out. Probably some of the less popular rides that have less lines, so that we can focus on the good stuff on Sunday. I'm no credit whore, but I want to be able to ride everything with multiple re-rides on the good crap. Mainly El Toro and Nitro with a few beers and people watching in between. Include mine train, skull mountain, and the log flume likely in this group. Everything else will likely be 1 and done.

Looking for some pro tips.

Boldi, if you were on your deathbed and you only had one day to have your last cheesesteak, which one would it be and what would you get on it?

I'd go to Johns Roast Pork (we still don't know WHERE in Philly you're going to be which was my whole point of that post - but Johns is much easier to get to than Dalassandros) and I'd get both a steak and a roast pork sandwich. Id get the steak wiz wit, with ketchup (I'm dying in this scenario, right?) salt and pepper. The roast pork with long hots, broccoli rabe and sharp prov. So that's what you should do. Just do that.

Also... what's good to eat in the park?

Nothing. Its Six Flags.

Seriously, I enjoy Macho Nacho (there are two - next to Toro and Batman). Its not bad and Ive never gotten sick from it. But its still burritos/taco salads and sh*t from Six Flags. Best of the West is OK but its gets busy. Good outdoor seating and if you sit on the lake you can watch a turtle orgy. Ale House (right near the fountain on Main Street/next to Flash Pass HQ) for beer. They have like pretzels and other munchies too. There's a TON of food places in the boardwalk, but we don't eat there. Sushi from Six Flags? Haha. Otherwise, the Wawa right outside the park is good.

You guys think spending the last few hours on a Saturday night to get a couple rides out of the way and all day on Sunday with Fast Lane Platinum will be enough time at the park? We plan on getting there around 7 on Saturday night, driving from Philadelphia, and I want to knock a few of the rides out. Probably some of the less popular rides that have less lines, so that we can focus on the good stuff on Sunday. I'm no credit whore, but I want to be able to ride everything with multiple re-rides on the good crap. Mainly El Toro and Nitro with a few beers and people watching in between. Include mine train, skull mountain, and the log flume likely in this group. Everything else will likely be 1 and done.

Yeah you should be fine. The park may be crowded Sat night but it'll clear out as it gets later. Sundays have been busy but with platinum FP you'll be fine. I feel like we've gone over this so many times you shouldn't even need protips. But here you go. It's been a while since we've had a good laugh.

Edited by boldikus

I kind of want the tourist 'I've been there' experience that I missed out on when we went to Nashville and found out we had to wait 2-3 hours for Hot Chicken.

So you went to Hattie B's or Prince's? Go to Bolton's or Pepperfire in East Nashville. Both are as good as any other hot chicken in town and you won't have to wait very long.

I had a turkey leg somewhere in the park last year. It was good. And a salad from somewhere else.We have the dining plan so we try to make sure we make use of it.

Not a SFGAdv pro here, but Superman and Green Lantern were one and done for me. Probably would not ride either again if I went back. I highly recommend Safari Adventure and we normally only do coasters. We were there on an overcast Wednesday in August and the park was pretty dead.YMMV, but from what I read before our trip, crowds are hard to predict at this park.