Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:50 am

^^Interesting idea, but Volcano's footprint is NOT small. The volcano alone took up tons of room, along with the giant curve outside the volcano and the land behind it, Kings Dominion can pretty much fit anything they want in that spot.

I really would like to see a record-breaking B&M Flyer themed to some African bird / safari themed. There's nothing like it in the area, it is extremely marketable, and it can break records pretty easily since there aren't too many large-scale flyers out there. A Wing Coaster would be great as well, and could work with this theme too.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby palmerleeberry » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:26 pm

^Hey, a wing coaster is a good idea. If Kings Dominion builds and opens a wing coaster next year, then not only I'd come by for the visit, but also buy their CEDAR FAIR PLATINUM PASS so I can enjoy their other parks as well ( which will be significant for I haven't done that route in a few years). What do you say, KD: are you going to make me happy? :evil:

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby cparkes92 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:43 pm

I'm going to be in northern Virginia for a wedding this weekend. My Friday is wide open until the evening. Would it be worth it to run down to KD from the Winchester area on Friday for the day? I have a Platinum Pass, so parking and entry would be free. I have looked at Google Maps and it is about a 2 hour drive from Winchester to Doswell.
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby bill_s » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:13 pm

^^-- Of course it would! One of the best amusement parks there is. Unless it's too hot for you that day and you can only go the hottest and most (often, only) crowded part of the day, which are similar.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:13 am

I'm sorry what is the question here? You're a roller coaster enthusiast on a roller coaster enthusiast messageboard asking other roller coaster enthusiasts if we think you should go to a great amusement park containing some of the best roller coasters on earth only two hours from you on a day - a weekday no less - when you have nothing else going on and it would cost you nothing but gas money and lunch? What do you think we're going to say? :lol: :lol:

Postby coasterbill » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:29 am

You would be insane not to go. Get there early, since this Friday they open Twisted Timbers and Apple Zapple for passholders 30 minutes early.

Honestly you might not even need a skip-the-line pass if you hit Twisted Timbers for early entry and Flight of Fear early on. Getting one would allow you to re-ride the crap out of Twisted Timbers though so I wouldn't argue if you went that route.

PS: Ride the flume.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby disownedpear » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:45 pm

I don't see another ride focused on inversions going in there, we already have FoF, Anaconda and Dominator.
The Knoebels flyers are the greatest thrill ride ever made. If anyone sees Harry at the park can you tell him I'm sorry for breaking his ride and getting him in trouble.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:37 pm

boldikus wrote:I'm sorry what is the question here? You're a roller coaster enthusiast on a roller coaster enthusiast messageboard asking other roller coaster enthusiasts if we think you should go to a great amusement park containing some of the best roller coasters on earth only two hours from you on a day - a weekday no less - when you have nothing else going on and it would cost you nothing but gas money and lunch? What do you think we're going to say? :lol: :lol:

I think the only debate would be if it were Busch Gardens or Kings Dominion. I far prefer Busch Gardens, but both are great parks and since they have a Platinum Pass, I think Kings Dominion is the no-brainer.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:19 am

Kings Dominion's Early Summer Party: Grand Carnivale

TPR was invited to the opening day of Grand Carnivale--the park's combination of a food-and-wine festival with Mardi Gras. While this isn't the first time the park has hosted an event based on international cuisine, this year they've thrown in a dance party, a parade, fireworks, and entertainment (as well as food) from five countries: China, France, Germany, India, and Italy.

And what's on the menu? (I've tried the boldfaced items.)

China: Szechuan Beef Bao Bun (steamed bun, with Gochujang-glazed beef short rib and pickled cabbage), Emperor's Chinese Spare Ribs (slow cooked, chili-rubbed pork ribs glazed with sweet, sticky sauce)

France: Crepe Monsieur (ham and Gruyere crepe, topped with Bechamel sauce), Crepe Franchaise and Chocolate (filled with Nutella and strawberries)

Germany: Bratwurst with Kraut, Bier Kase Spatzle (Bavarian noodles in a creamy beer sauce topped with crispy onions)

India: Vegetable Samosas (crispy pastry filled with potato and peas served with mango chutney), Tandoori Chicken Tacos (spiced chicken over toaster naan with cilantro, radish, and yogurt sauce)

Italy: Mama Meatballs (marinara, served on garlic toast with shaved Parmesan), Roman Suppli (fried rice balls stuffed with cheese and pepper in marinara sauce)

I had Apple Strudel for dessert.

All the festivities take place, appropriately enough, on International Street, with a special focus on the plaza around the Eiffel Tower, which is where you'll find the food booths and mini-entertainment stages, with the exception of Germany, which is halfway between the park entrance and the tower. There are songs and dances from the different nations, and quite a few street performers (most of whom participate in the nightly parade and dance party). The parade circles the Eiffel Tower, and some of the floats add more atmosphere to the dance party afterward.

Here's a look at KD's Grand Carnivale, along with a pause to pay our respects to the late Volcano: The Blast Coaster.

Then it's party time--at least until July 7. My thanks to Kings Dominion for the invitation.
001.jpg
Welcome to Grand Carnivale! The king on the left looks a bit shifty. Maybe he's already a bit tipsy.
002.jpg
Even Starbucks is wearing Mardi Gras beads.
003.jpg
Need a tasting card? Get it here. You get six samples for $30. Or you buy food samples for $6.99/each. There's a special cocktail, too.
004.jpg
The action centers on the Eiffel Tower, or so says Capt. Obvious.
005.jpg
There was a brief opening ceremony at the main stage across from the tower.
006.jpg
"Welcome to Grand Carnivale, my loyal subjects! As your king, I must warn you . . .
007.jpg
. . . there are mimes about!"
008.jpg
We'll get back to the festivities later, but it's time to pay our respects. You can still make out "Blast Coaster" on this sign--barely.
009.jpg
The station and gift shop are all that is left.
010.jpg
But you do get a new view of Avalanche.
011.jpg
Why, hello there, Flight of Fear building.
012.jpg
The future awaits.
013.jpg
Stay seated! I'm watching you!
014.jpg
At least the waterfall is still here.
015.jpg
Meanwhile, what's happening on International Street?
015a.jpg
I have my complimentary tasting card. Hmm--where should I go first?
016.jpg
"You follow me, ja?
017.jpg
Challenge accepted--beer and spatzle for me!
018.jpg
Of course, there's music. It's Oktoberfest!
019.jpg
Yes, there are mimes! And artists! You have been warned!
020.jpg
Uh oh! Giant chefs and mimes are natural enemies! More food and fun to come.
Last edited by cfc on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:04 pm.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:03 pm

The party goes on at Kings Dominion!
021 - Copy.jpg
The facial expressions (left to right) are Interesting: "Oh, I am so into this"; "I never noticed how fascinating my hand is"; "Oh, snap!"
022 - Copy.jpg
Does Buddha approve of our dancing?
023.jpg
"Why, yes. I do."
024.jpg
OK, I pulled a groin muscle just watching this guy.
025.jpg
This was my favorite of the food samples--the spare ribs. A little messy, but tasty (as ribs should be).
026 - Copy.jpg
Let's not forget the Grand Carnivale merchandise.
027 - Copy.jpg
Coolest of the shirts.
028 - Copy.jpg
Time for the "Spectacle of Color" parade.
029 - Copy.jpg
Vive la France . . .
029a - Copy.jpg
. . ."But we have beer, ja?"
029b.jpg
Best float of the parade!
030.jpg
I liked this Indian elephant float, too.
031.jpg
The China float stopped in front of us, there was a brief dance party, then . . .
032.jpg
. . . streamers everywhere.
033.jpg
And, yes, beads were thrown.
034.jpg
This is the Apple Strudel. The cinnamon apples and whipped cream were good, but the "crispy strudel crown" seemed more like shredded wheat.
035.jpg
They left some of the floats around the Eiffel Tower to add some atmosphere to the post-parade dance party.
036.jpg
The tower is well lit for the evening. Perhaps it had a Cocktail Carnivale (vodka, blue curacao, and melon midori).
037.jpg
The party featured a DJ and a live show with a band. Hope you like Gloria Estefan and Buster Poindexter.
038.jpg
I just noticed this little puppet show as I was leaving.
039.jpg
One last look a KD's festive fountains.
040.jpg
Good night from Grand Carnivale! Thanks for the invitation, Kings Dominion!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!