TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

WOW, I had no idea they were this far along!

99652A5B-D1F2-4340-92A4-C96E31BB1164.thumb.jpeg.f077b3ea246f6b734f76170c50edb142.jpeg

3C1FBB9C-4724-48DF-8661-9E922F6EBE09.thumb.jpeg.b32e1d78eab62afd738ef7d21ac16f2b.jpeg

Original photo credit goes to reddit user Flyingdrums. Photos were taken outside park property and after park hours.

I am very excited to watch this rise because I for one have no idea how they plan to make this!

I wonder if we will get a Goliath style lift hill and it hasn’t been announced yet the same as it was for Goliath. I have a difficult time fathoming a Steel Vengeance sized lift anyway in this plot of land.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I will be at here on Monday the 24th. I will be at the gates for open. I would have went to the Africa area first to hit those rides but now that Tigris is open should I go there first? I have never been to this park and feel a little lost without a game plan.

Any tips you can give me would be great on shows or rides.

Thanks

Tigris is (rightfully) suffering from new hotness syndrome, and will always have longer waits earlier in the day, but will generally cool down by the evening. Cheetah Hunt, on the other hand, pretty much always has long waits, so it might be worth it to make your "opening run" to Cheetah Hunt first.

SheiKra and Cobra's Curse are other coasters that get longer-than-typical waits. Montu is pretty typical. Scorpion is typical but moves slowly because there's only one train. Kumba is lighter than typical because it's all the way in the back. A good breather during the day is a complete loop of the train, which takes a little over a half hour.

Falcon's Fury and the Skyride will not operate during windier days.

Hi I will be at here on Monday the 24th. I will be at the gates for open. I would have went to the Africa area first to hit those rides but now that Tigris is open should I go there first? I have never been to this park and feel a little lost without a game plan.

Thanks

The back areas of the park don't open until 10:30 due to staggered openings (Stanleyville, Congo & Pantopia) . They either stop you right before Sesame Street (Safari Of Fun) or just past Zagora Cafe when you go left (depends on how busy they expect it to be early on). Some days, Congo River Rapids and Kumba open at 11...depends on how busy they expect it to be.

You would be better to head straight to Cheetah Hunt immediately when they let you in the park as it will have pretty steady line all day. You could get a couple rides in on it (unless it's down) and then to Tigris from there if you wanted to get to it as it opens. The ride will build a line early on since it's new, but thin out usually later in the day however (as mentioned in comment above).

If you want to wait and ride Tigris later on, just keep going counter-clockwise around the park after Cheetah Hunt so you aren't backtracking all day. Cobra's Curse can also get longer lines as well so it wouldn't hurt to ride that one early on. Montu is right there next to it, but usually doesn't get crazy lines since it's a people eater. I've rarely had more than a station wait in the last several years unless it was a weekend or holiday (same with Kumba & SheiKra). From there head to Pantopia and so on.

There are really only 2 theater shows: Turn It Up (ice show) and Critters Inn Charge (domestic animal show). There is also a Do-Wop show in Dragon Fire Grill (in Pantopia). That location has a food court set-up with various cuisine types. If a show is going on in there when you're ready to eat, it might be worth seeing if you're into that.

Be sure to check out the various animal exhibits throughout the park.

Thanks

As others have said, start with Cheetah Hunt. That one will have a long wait all day. I'd then hit Cobra's Curse afterwards.

Also get the pretzel bacon fury at the pretzel place near Falcon's Fury. It's incredible.

we experienced only longer than station wait on Montu, if Cobra's Curse went down. . . since it's right next door, the minute there's a problem on CC?. . seemingly the majority of the line exits and goes directly into Montu's queue.

I enjoyed Cobra's Curse for what it is, tho still don't really understand why it pulls such waits (we barely even noticed the spinning while riding), but it DOES look great. and if a longer line, the queue is quite entertaining - especially the Hieroglyphics room. . . so you have stuff to watch while you wait

I enjoyed Cobra's Curse for what it is, tho still don't really understand why it pulls such waits (we barely even noticed the spinning while riding), but it DOES look great.

Low height requirement/whole family can ride, new(ish), very well themed, near the front of the park, low capacity trains. I think its pretty obvious why it gets long waits.

Unrelated - any recent RMC Gwazi updates? I'm totally going back to this park next December.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes karma is wonderful!

From the Orlando Sentinel:

Man facing trial in death of beloved Busch Gardens flamingo Pinky killed in Orlando crash

XAMXFI4V4JDZDGUSIPE6QUV77Q.jpg

A man who faced an animal cruelty charge in connection with the 2016 death of Pinky, a beloved flamingo at Busch Gardens, was killed in a traffic crash in Orlando this month, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

According to the report, Joseph Corrao, 48, was crossing State Road 50 in Orange County June 5 when he was struck by a pickup truck shortly before 6 a.m. He died at a local hospital.

The Times reported that Corrao was facing trial in August for animal cruelty in the 2016 death of Pinky, an animal ambassador for the Tampa theme park that “delighted Busch Gardens patrons with its dance moves.” Corrao was visiting the park with family members when he grabbed Pinky and slammed the bird to the ground, the report said.

Pinky was badly injured and was later euthanized.

Ah sweet sweet justice.

Via the parks FB page:

I can't figure out if that's part of the first drop based on the aerial shots. I love the mystery of this project. It looks incredible!

I'm about 90% sure it's the climb into the big, high turn that goes into the barrel roll under the lift hill.

Totally jumping in here to mention I was at the park yesterday. Hadn't been since whenever Falcon's Fury was only doing test runs. The park still holds its place in being my personal #1 favorite. The attention to details in theming the wide variety of thrilling coasters the park has still puts it far over the edge of other parks I like! There were a few first-time rides on some rides too:

Falcon's Fury (x2): Easily the weirdest drop tower I've ever been on. The face-down freefall sure gave me a funny feeling in my stomach, but I certainly enjoy that the ride is smooth as butter. I'm also glad it's as tall as it was, because that pull-out certainly wouldn't work with any shorter towers. Very cool ride!

Cobra's Curse: Cute and exciting family ride, lots of very good positive g's on those helixes, and the spinning added a lot to the experience too.

Tigris (x2): My first time on one of these SkyRockets. This was a surprise hit with the group I was with. We didn't expect too much getting on, but by the time the coaster was going backwards, everyone sounded like they were already having a blast, which only got more amplified by the time we got launched to the top. We all LOVED it! Great pops of air, positive g's and twists. The only thing we all overwhelmingly agreed on was the ride experience was admittedly pretty short-lived. Very, very exciting coaster otherwise!

Also, for it being the day before the 4th of July, lines were shockingly manageable. I had Quick Queue going in, which helped me skip the 55 minutes of Cheetah Hunt, but the longest I think I waited for was 35 minutes for Tigris (second ride since QQ only allows 1 line-skip on it). SheiKra was a 15 minute wait with my group, and Kumba was in-station wait. All in all, had a fantastic day!

• 1 month later...

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has sent us a press release about this year's Howl-O-Scream including the return of past icons, a new house and several new scare zones!

BUSCH_GARDENS_TAMPA_BAY_ICONS.thumb.jpg.5a9e3747c02c94f27323940f713a8fba.jpg

Howl-O-Scream 2019 unearths long-buried icons of the past as well as new nightmares as Busch Gardens® Tampa Bay celebrates “20 Years of Fear” with horrifying haunted houses, terrifying scare zones and thrilling rollercoaster rides through the dark.

For two demented decades, Howl-O-Scream has been haunting Tampa Bay each fall as the area’s premier Halloween event. The event’s dark past has earned a sinister reputation, and is presently nominated for a USA TODAY Readers’ Choice award for Best Theme Park Halloween Event. Howl-O-Scream fans can show their support and vote for the event once per day until August 26.

Howl-O-Scream is a separately ticketed event, available during 22 select nights at Busch Gardens beginning September 20 through November 2, 2019. Single-night tickets start at $39.99 and unlimited admission for all 22 nights of Howl-O-Scream is available starting at $79.99. Park guests can upgrade their night of fright by selecting a Front Line Fear Pass with options including front-of-the-line access to haunted houses and attractions, including the all-new Tigris, Florida’s tallest launch coaster.

NEW experiences for 2019

The Residence – ALL-NEW House!

Enter the pristine home of the picture perfect suburban Clark Family, but beware of unseen horrors – once you’re invited in, you may never make your way out. Don’t let yourself become the next sacrifice in their sinister devotion.

Howl-O-Scream 2019 presents more scares than ever with an unprecedented nine zones throughout the park, including three ALL-NEW scare zones:

NEW! First Fear: The horrors of Howl-O-Scream’s haunted past are the first frights to greet you, rising from the dead and bringing 20 years of fear back to life. Come face to face with Dr. Livingsdoom, the vampires from the House of Vayne, Trickster and more.

NEW! Little Nightmares: Take a creepy walk down memory lane to the bygone era of papier-mâché masks and homemade costumes sure to stir up the nightmares of your childhood.

NEW! Carpe Noctem: The eerie quiet of this gothic Romanian cemetery is shattered by the triumphant screams of vampires and the sobbing moans of their victims. This immersive zone even offers guests the opportunity to climb into a coffin to get a feel for the nightlife of the undead.

Visit http://www.HowlOScream.com to shop now and learn more about all of the haunted houses, scare zones and experiences offered at this year’s Howl-O-Scream. Stay tuned for more dreadful details by following Howl-O-Scream on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

BUSCH_GARDENS_TAMPA_BAY_ENTRANCE.thumb.jpg.e857706fb2eccfc4618c710a197b9f27.jpg

BUSCH_GARDENS_TAMPA_BAY_HOS_LOGO.thumb.png.1d7781ed296ae56987bf12a06b9522a5.png

BUSCH_GARDENS_TAMPA_BAY_THE_RESIDENCE.thumb.jpg.9d93e81aff7b424efcc39844a6f224c8.jpg