TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NYC visit and Pizza Tour Questions

prozach626

My wife and I will be spending two days in NYC. I've seen past TR's where you guys take pizza tours and you went with Scott's Pizza Tours, right? I was hoping you could make a suggestion on which tour to take for a couple mid-westerners wanting to sample some of NYC's best pizza.

Also, do you have any suggestions for a guided tour where we can enjoy a good overall sight seeing experience? The hop-on / hop-off bus tours seemed great in theory. But, after reading reviews it sounds like you spend a ton of time waiting for the busses in between stops with no guarantee there will be any available seats. We're looking to make this as easy and as stress free as possible for ourselves.

Thanks,

Zach

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely do Scott's Pizza Tour. We've done the walking tours and his bus tour. Both are fantastic for different reasons. If you want to message us your dates privately we can ask him which tours he's personally doing as he doesn't do them all any more.

I really feel like NYC is just such a great, easy to navigate, and believe it or not friendly city to do on your own that I don't think I would recommend a 'tour' of general sites. If you do the Pizza Tour first, Scott will suggest things based on your likes. I can also give you some suggestions based on your interests as I used to live there and visit quite often. If you're really set on some sort of tour to get more of the lay of the land, I would look for one similar to "The Ride" where it's an actual set tour and not just random hop on hop off that can have issues and delays.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't mean to hijack this, just offering up an option in the event you do want to do a general sightseeing tour. Girlfriend lived in NYC for a little bit. One general tour company we DID like was a walking tour not a bus tour (can’t speak for bus tours as we haven’t done one)! Free Tours by Foot. They operate in various cities. But in NYC, we took the Central Park tours, a Midtown Tour, a Greenwich Village food tour (and a normal sightseeing one), and a Harlem Tour. They are pay what you want, so super affordable (we tip $10-15/person for the two hour tours). For us, it was just a nice, easy way to just kind of not think about where we're going for a few hours and learn a lot of cool info. Just check out the website and see if any of them look fun to you and book in advance a few days and you'll be good.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're into Broadway stuff, I highly recommend Come From Away. It's about how the people of the town of Gander, Newfoundland (Canada) came together to accommodate an unexpected extra several thousand travelers after 38 airplanes were grounded at their airport on 9/11. It's super heartwarming, very creative use of limited cast and props, and awesome music. Whole thing takes a little over an hour with no intermission. Give the soundtrack a listen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the pizza tour is a complete bust, which I'm really disappointed about. It was the first thing that came to mind when we decided we were going to spend a couple days in NYC. The only day in July where there's no tour available is the day we planned to do it.

We booked an all day tour for day two, which includes the Empire State Building, 911 Memorial, the Statue of Liberty, and several other stops. It's kind of a catch all for as much time as we have. We like these kinds of tours when we have limited time in cities. We took a catch all Washington DC tour last month and we learned and visited a lot in a short amount of time. It's just easy.

We also really want to eat at Lombardos' Pizza's original location. Are there really long lines on the weekends? I also don't know if we should get their classic Margherita pizza or our go-to pepperoni and sausage. From what I understand, the Margherita pizza started it all at Lombardo'?

• 2 weeks later...