2019 Adventures Photo TR

A Rare Visit to Dorney Park
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: 2019 Adventures Photo TR

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:51 am

Great report! I too like InvadR, but I think it's definitely a front row coaster.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Indianapolis Zoo & John Ivers Backyard/Blue Flash

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:12 pm

I'm sure any of you could've guessed where we went next on this weekend trip, as we weren't that far away from:

Kings Dominion

While it's not as well-themed as Busch Gardens Williamsburg, nor has it gotten some of the newer, festive, atmosphere-heavy areas Cedar Fair has been doing lately like the Boardwalk at Knott's or the more polished new areas of Carowinds or Cedar Point, this is still an undeniably nice park that has a unique setting of it's own. I actually like KD quite a lot.

Oh, and you may have heard, but their two best coasters both made the top ten list that you messy hoes voted for on here recently, and this park and Cedar Point are the only two parks to have done that. We know we're really spoiled when we can type away all off-season about "what park has the best one-two punch?", since Cedar Point has Steel Vengeance, Maverick, and Millennium Force. Kings Dominion has i305 and Twisted Timbers. Six Flags New England has Superman and Wicked Cyclone. Fiesta Texas has Iron Rattler and Wonder Woman. Great Adventure has El Toro and then you can ride El Toro again.

See? I just made you appreciate something for a second.
001.jpg
Our rental car for this trip included a New York license plate, which immediately armed me with the power to drive like a total d*ck. But I'm actually from New York, so I do it properly.
002.jpg
Cedar Fair consistently does a good job making sure the little things are taken care of, like signs, paint, landscaping, etc. You're always greeted to a fresh entrance, and that was the case here at KD
003.jpg
They also conveniently have a Starbucks in the main entrance, which most major Cedar Fair parks do nowadays.

See, Six Flags, if you could just give us Starbucks and a little bit of paint and landscaping, we'd like you so much more.
004.jpg
I would pay Miss Vanjie like $1,000 to just make a recording screaming "APPLE ZAPPE B*TCH!" and use it as my phone's message/ring tone
005.jpg
Twisted Timbers was running super hardcore the day we visited. The airtime was violent and the transitions were jerking us around like a dom we'd just mouthed off to.

Translation: this sh*t is awesome
006.jpg
I don't know what was more aggressive; these little airtime hills on Twisted Timbers or me cutting off the Virginians on I-95, all who seemed to left lane hog at 60mph in the 70mph zone!
007.jpg
Category is: unpopular opinion.

The way they were managing the metal detectors/hand stamp/zippered pouch nonsense, I'd rather just be forced to leave my phone in a you-know-what. It was seriously a hot mess and took forever. The trains would be parked in the station so long that the second train would stack and a third could have made it's way around if there was one. It made our morning walk-ons take 15 minutes and the afternoon line take 40 when it should have been 5. The sunglasses rule was f*cking idiotic. I have fairly snug-fitting sunglasses and can wear them on i305 but not this without a strap on the back of them? Come on.

I'm glad to hear reports that Steel Vengeance is doing this outside the station instead of inside, because the metal detector nonsense would cause rows on the train to be empty while they figured out what the f*ck to do, further exacerbating the issues in the afternoon when there was more of a line.

If only Americans weren't such idiots, we wouldn't have to deal with things like this.
008.jpg
AND WHERE THE F*CK ARE MY BALLS?!?
009.jpg
Don't worry, we'll get to you soon
010.jpg
Nah, man.
011.jpg
Good to see that construction on the new Impulse Coaster is going well.
012.jpg
...ladies and...gentlemen, start your engines!
013.jpg
This, this right here.

I seriously believe that this is the best steel coaster in the United States. It's everything we don't deserve in a modern coaster. Speed, forces, amazing transitions.

Yet, the line is always short and even people who claim to like coasters say its too this or too that. I just don't get it. If anything, as it ages, i305 becomes more and more re-rideable. I get that if you ride The Voyage too many times in a row you might actually have a stroke, or that Skyrush too many times may cause an embolism in your legs from pinching you so damn hard. But this is just sheer forces. You're held in properly with the vest restraint, it's smooth, deliberate, it's just excellence. All you candy a$$ses can have your gentle B&M hyper rides. This is where its at.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.
014.jpg
I always ride this when I visit the park. It's the only Mack Bobsled in the US and I love how the cars awkwardly flex underneath you as you go along the track. The minimal restraints combined with the flat, open vehicles just make this so different.
015.jpg
Maybe not as picturesque as it was with Geauga Lake behind it (if thats what the actual lake was called), but Dominator is the hyper-floorless. It dishes out real forces, especially in the low-ground turns
016.jpg
Big yellow loop? Yes ma'am
017.jpg
The twisty first drop is a disorienting way to start a coaster! Like I said prior, Twisted Timbers was running really extreme this visit, moreso than last year when I rode the 2nd or 3rd weekend it was open. I love good, forceful coasters, and this and i305 in the same park is just great
018.jpg
Artsy fence photo. We had a great visit to KD and I honestly can't wait to go back. Hopefully they'll fill in the Volcano space sooner rather than later. Thanks for reading!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:12 am

At Cedar Point, I didn't notice the pouches slowing down operations. It just seemed like it took a long time for the operators to check the seatbelts and lower the restraints on Steel Vengeance.

As for the glasses strap, I have no issue with parks requiring them, especially on a ride as wild as Twisted Timbers. I'm shocked the park doesn't require it on I305 to be honest.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Indianapolis Zoo & John Ivers Backyard/Blue Flash

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby kirkf1tz » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:03 am

As a homosexual, your cultural references in this TR me LOL ♥️
Nice work!

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:10 am

Great update, as usual. I'm the guy that stood up cheering at the end of your TED talk.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Mike240SX » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:59 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:As for the glasses strap, I have no issue with parks requiring them, especially on a ride as wild as Twisted Timbers. I'm shocked the park doesn't require it on I305 to be honest.

I305 doesn't really have the same kind of violent ejector air that Twisted Timbers does, plus the insane speed helps hold them on your face.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby SteVeUrkle » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:57 pm

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:If only Americans weren't such idiots, we wouldn't have to deal with things like this.

lol blaming an entire country for one parks loose article policy. Way to go!

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:I seriously believe that this is the best steel coaster in the United States. It's everything we don't deserve in a modern coaster. Speed, forces, amazing transitions.

Yet, the line is always short and even people who claim to like coasters say its too this or too that. I just don't get it. If anything, as it ages, i305 becomes more and more re-rideable. I get that if you ride The Voyage too many times in a row you might actually have a stroke, or that Skyrush too many times may cause an embolism in your legs from pinching you so damn hard. But this is just sheer forces. You're held in properly with the vest restraint, it's smooth, deliberate, it's just excellence. All you candy a$$ses can have your gentle B&M hyper rides. This is where its at. .

Why parks continue to keep getting cookie cutter lame-o forceless B&M dives and hypers/gigas while this thing clearly exemplifies what they could have instead boggles my mind. Maybe it's just a location in the country thing, but an i305 clone/replica would literally have the longest line at SFMM for a decade.

Fantastic reports, love your photos and down to earth commentary. Well done and keep it up!
Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby CoasterNerd87 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:52 am

Great trip report and love the jokes. Dominator as a hyper-floorless was really good.

Postby jynx242 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:29 am

I love your trip reports, so thanks for posting.

I'm now hearing "Apple Zapple B*tches" in Miss Vangie's voice and it is giving me life.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby TBpony414 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:27 pm

This unexpectedly hilarious statement of yours needs to be repeated: “Great Adventure has El Toro and then you can ride El Toro again.“ LOL!

I can confirm the metal detectors at Steel Vengeance are implemented in a much better way than KD has them set up at Timbers. Cedar Point does everything better though so I’m not surprised.

Avalanche Bobsled is awesome and I’m happy to see someone else enjoys it. Glad you had a good day at Kings Dominion!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!